Page 87 of 126 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    A lot more scandinavian influence than many of the others listed there. During the viking raids and settlement of England the whole language seemed extremely norse.

Forrþrihht anan se time comm
    þatt ure Drihhtin wollde
    ben borenn i þiss middellærd
    forr all mannkinne nede
    he chæs himm sone kinnessmenn
    all swillke summ he wollde
    and whær he wollde borenn ben
    he chæs all att hiss wille.

A lil' transcript of Middle English, 12th century.
    Shocking that I can kind of understand that.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    A lot more scandinavian influence than many of the others listed there. During the viking raids and settlement of England the whole language seemed extremely norse.

Forrþrihht anan se time comm
    þatt ure Drihhtin wollde
    ben borenn i þiss middellærd
    forr all mannkinne nede
    he chæs himm sone kinnessmenn
    all swillke summ he wollde
    and whær he wollde borenn ben
    he chæs all att hiss wille.

A lil' transcript of Middle English, 12th century.
    That's Swenglish. I don't understand any of it Maybe if I didn't suck at swedish since it's like danish with their mouth full of whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Sadly, in America, we're urged/forced to take Spanish, yuck. Sometimes French spattered in. Latin based languages bore me.
    Psh. I live in Los Angeles, aka Mexico City 2, and took Japanese.

Chinese is starting to become quite common now in HS I heard.
    Read a survey where CEOs/small business owners/employers etc had to tell which language skills they consider the most important and German was number 1, English 2nd and Chinese 3rd, so it kind of makes sense I guess. Swedish companies does a lot of business with Germany and China.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    English kinda went like this:

Celtic+other native languages
    Roman invasion brings Latin influences, but never fully assimilates British culture into their own
    Anglo-Saxon invasion brings Teutonic/German influences that form the underpinnings of the language as it is today
    Catholic Church gets the gentry used to using a few Latin words in regular conversation
    Norman invasions bring huge quantities of French into the language, but couldn't fully convert it

So English is really this crazy amalgamation of Celtish, German, Latin, and French. I'm actually always a bit surprised (and happy) that like 70% of the words I want to use in Spanish are practically the same as the English words.
    *nudge* You forgot the brief period where the English were enamoured with the Greeks. Really English is the bastard child of most of Europe's languages.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Chinese is starting to become quite common now in HS I heard.
    Read a survey where CEOs/small business owners/employers etc had to tell which language skills they consider the most important and German was number 1, English 2nd and Chinese 3rd, so it kind of makes sense I guess. Swedish companies does a lot of business with Germany and China.
    Chinese isn't going to be as worthwhile in the future as it is now. It's way too complicated to be a lingua franca and English is so ensconced in the international system that the Chinese are going to be forced to adopt it if they want to integrate further into the global community.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Chinese isn't going to be as worthwhile in the future as it is now. It's way too complicated to be a lingua franca and English is so ensconced in the international system that the Chinese are going to be forced to adopt it if they want to integrate further into the global community.
    Yeah, question is how long it will take, Chinese is one of those 3rd language options you get, English is mandatory, but the 3rd language is not, or it wasn't when I was in HS at least, I took german, I don't remember much though tbh. :P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Chinese was certainly not offered here. Your first language is, of course, Swedish. English was mandatory as your second language, and as third language you were too choose either German, French or Spanish. The other two alternatives were Japanese or Latin as a fourth language.
    Pretty similar here in Denmark, except most schools don't offer Spanish as a 3rd language, but as one of the voluntary subjects you can choose in 8th and 9th grade. At my school you don't even have the choice between French and German, probably because we don't have any teachers able to teach French. You can choose not to learn a 3rd language as well, but then you can't get into most gymnasiums(thats an actual English word, right? Not just my teacher being retarded)
    And then in gymnasium you can choose to continue with German, French or Spanish, or start a new language like Russian or Chinese.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Pretty similar here in Denmark, except most schools don't offer Spanish as a 3rd language, but as one of the voluntary subjects you can choose in 8th and 9th grade. At my school you don't even have the choice between French and German, probably because we don't have any teachers able to teach French. You can choose not to learn a 3rd language as well, but then you can't get into most gymnasiums(thats an actual English word, right? Not just my teacher being retarded)
    And then in gymnasium you can choose to continue with German, French or Spanish, or start a new language like Russian or Chinese.
    Yeah, I think the correct word is gymnasium, since it's not either high school or college. Somewhat between to my understanding, which comes entirely from movies like American Pie.

Looking it up that appears the correct word.

In the 'States we use the word Gymnasium (or Gym for short) as the place where you have your physical exercise most days while in school.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

In the 'States we use the word Gymnasium (or Gym for short) as the place where you have your physical exercise most days while in school.
    But in Denmark, gymnasium have nothing to do with working out or doing exercise. It's where most of us go to school for 3 years when we're 15-20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

In ancient greece it was where young people came to practice sports naked but also where the old masters like Aristotles and Plato got their apprentices... It was a place of study and exercise....

It still is to us - but to you its just exercise :P

My line included PE on a B level instead of C which is the norm - i went to exam in Kayaking and Volleyball

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    where young people came to practice sports naked but also where the old masters like Aristotles and Plato got their apprentices...
    Sounds so wrong. But I know its correct.

Chinese was certainly not offered here. Your first language is, of course, Swedish. English was mandatory as your second language, and as third language you were too choose either German, French or Spanish. The other two alternatives were Japanese or Latin as a fourth language.
    LAME. NO, but I think it's pretty recently that they've started it around here. I really don't keep track tbh, I just read random articles every now and then, The courses gymnasiums can offer can be quite different from school to school to, at least here.
    Lot's of for-profit-gymnasiums around now to, most of which seems to be shit if the newspaper we get is to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    It's where most of us go to school for 3 years when we're 15-20 years old.
    I like how much sense that made?
    Do you guys start gymnasium at different ages?

Deleted
    Depends if you skip grades and go up a year when you are young. If you start school at age 6 or 7. Or maybe you were held back a year. Changed class in gymnasium. Like you started with Nature Science and thought "Hey, building is much more my style".

Deleted
    LAME. NO, but I think it's pretty recently that they've started it around here. I really don't keep track tbh, I just read random articles every now and then, The courses gymnasiums can offer can be quite different from school to school to, at least here.
    Lot's of for-profit-gymnasiums around now to, most of which seems to be shit if the newspaper we get is to be believed.

As Weirdbear said, it depends on how you are and what you did after you finished our primarily school.

I'm at first year of gymnasium and I'm 16 years old (17 in 3 months) and a classmate is 19. He started primarily school when he was 8 and then went to a 10th grade afterwards, which I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    As Weirdbear said, it depends on how you are and what you did after you finished our primarily school.

I'm at first year of gymnasium and I'm 16 years old (17 in 3 months) and a classmate is 19. He started primarily school when he was 8 and then went to a 10th grade afterwards, which I didn't.
    Yeah, I kind of forgot about that, didn't have any class mates that that did that though. Was a few years since I was in gymnasium to. I'm 10 years oldern then you :P

btw found this, some american exchange student, she explains a tiny little bit about Swedish School with all the school breaks/vacations.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-05-15 at 11:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    At least in the US, Gymnasium refers to the place you go to exercise. I'm aware the word is used as a type of school in some places though.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    Sounds so wrong. But I know its correct.
    they werent all platonic relationships either...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    they werent all platonic relationships either...
    Yeah, the word platonic came from Plato not wanting to sleep with his ward, which was abnormal. Or was that Socrates? Ah well.