Thread: Banned D3 art

Banned D3 art

So I normally spend my D3 forum time on the official forums, where I post as Sense of Sargeras (Post history if you care (you don't)). I occasionally post long-winded diatribes or humor, and recently started adding humorous art as well.

The first one was the generally well-received altered wallpaper that has floated about a bit now, which is HERE if you want it.

But apparently Blizzard does not like my latest offering, a portrait of Diablo in his true form:

http://i.imgur.com/AqsM5.jpg (It all makes sense now, right?)

Twice now the mods have deleted the threads in which this art appeared, within 2 hours of their creation. Not locked with an explanation, nor the normal delete where you can't get to the thread but can still see it in post history. These threads have been fully deleted, the posts themselves vanishing from post history, as if they never existed.

I have no idea why this is particularly heinous to them, as I've been given no explanation nor any account discipline for the threads. The strange 'full delete' though kind of annoys me, so I decided to repost this humble offering to the community on fan sites. It's not really so awesome that it deserves this much effort, but I'm kind of curious as to why this got special mod treatment compared to all the other things that fly over there.

Here's a variation of it that I made specifically for yesterday's release date announcement: http://i.imgur.com/m4rjG.jpg

(as an aside, if anyone knows why it's impossible for me to register a new account or login to diablofans, I'd be grateful to hear it)

Because it's the caricature of trolling. The very personification of it. Trolling is banned on the official forums, and so your threads got deleted. Sure, your intention may have been for humour's sake, but they have rules and have to stick to them. Nothing more than that.

I liked it to be honest. I look forward to more.

Could be, but the sheer amount of blatant trolling that goes on there--even with the occasional blue contributing--undermines any notion of strict rule adherence. Humor shouldn't be construed as trolling; people might troll because it's humorous to them, but that's not the same thing, and there are plenty of non-serious, humor threads, even those poking fun directly at Blizzard or specific employees.

Still don't understand the 'full delete' compared to the lock-and-explain or 'normal' delete.

Edit: Thanks, Lysah. I was hoping to do something different from the confrontational and toxic threads that flourish there, which I guess is why I'm a little put out.
    Last edited by SensesNonsense; 2012-03-13 at 11:28 PM.

I've actually seen quite a few of your posts there, Sense (and usually they're worth reading!). However, I completely agree with their decision in this regard. Posting those isn't even remotely constructive (yes I'm well aware most everything in that forum isn't), and to be honest that sort of thing only serves to inflame what's already an agitated community.

There are many and more harmful trolls than this, but honestly creating an entirely new thread entirely devoted to a trollface meme is kind of hard to justify as anything but trolling >.>
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    and to be honest that sort of thing only serves to inflame what's already an agitated community.
    Ah, see, I was thinking of it from the opposite angle, that trying to do something more light-hearted would be a better thing to occupy the front page than the usual vitriol. Maybe even diffuse tension as humor is want to do.

Lesson learned I suppose.

Deleted
    To be honest, if you started a thread here that said "NEW DIABLO ART" and just linked that image, it would almost certainly be locked as unconstructive and/or trolling.

If you genuinely meant it to diffuse tension and add humour, you have to understand that the official site, and many boards, are full to the brim of people who want to cause trouble, sow dissent and get a kick out of upsetting people and causing arguments and trollface.jpg is guaranteed to do that.

I can certainly see the amusing side of it myself and it certainly wouldn't upset me to get rickrolled by said picture, but I can definitely see why it was removed and I think it would be across most moderated fansites also.

As for Diablo Fans - I'm not sure why you cant create an account - what's the problem exactly? You can create a username by logging in with your curse ID also if you have one of those, or you should just be able to register from scratch otherwise from the bar on the top right.

Hehe, I liked them tbh, especially your "soon" wallpaper.

I think it comes down to context, though. I.e. not "what" images you posted, but rather "how" you posted them.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    As for Diablo Fans - I'm not sure why you cant create an account - what's the problem exactly? You can create a username by logging in with your curse ID also if you have one of those, or you should just be able to register from scratch otherwise from the bar on the top right.
    Well as far as I know I don't have a Curse ID. However, every attempt to register returns a 'username already taken' or similar response, even when I just make up long strings of garbage that no one is using for an id. I have no idea what's going on, cleared cache out and tried again, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SensesNonsense View Post
    Well as far as I know I don't have a Curse ID. However, every attempt to register returns a 'username already taken' or similar response, even when I just make up long strings of garbage that no one is using for an id. I have no idea what's going on, cleared cache out and tried again, etc.
    That's weird - try going direct to the registration page? http://www.diablofans.com/index.php?...ction=register

This is the Curse support page http://curse.cursesupport.com/

If it keeps giving you problems I'd create a ticket, they should be able to get to the bottom of it fairly quickly

I have a feeling you know why

I like the SOON wallpaper though; that's D3 in a nutshell right there and good quality too.