Poll: Vote

Cool [Music] Whats the most important quality in hip-hop?

Vote within the poll the #1 quality in hip-hop. Then list the top 5 qualities from best to least that make great hip-hop.

So I think lyricism is the greatest trait you can have. Because Lyricism came first before anything else in hip-hop/rap, and lyricism alone can make great music and poetry but I feel that everything else is slightly more dependent then lyrics alone. Lyrics also vary from infinite topics, storytelling, meaning, wordplay, creativity, life message ect ect...If I had to make an analogy I think the lyrics would be the roots of the tree, its was there first everything else grew from it, its often looked past especially in mainstream and the tree(hip-hop) cant stand strong on its own without the roots. Don't get me wrong everything else must be good if not great to be a great MC, but lyrics are simply most important. Another thing to add, think of the memorable and heart-filled songs in hip-hop down, they all involve personal connections and ideologies - Lyrics transfer the emotional connection through various topics of lyrics. Think about that, whenever you reminisce on hip-hop the one true thing you think about are the lyrics(Least I do).

Top 5 list:

1. Lyricism
    2. Synergy
    3. Flow
    4. Creativity
    5. Production/Instrumental

Thoughts?

OT; If you don't hip-hop then don't be bias and leave negative comments. Don't make the misconception that surface mainstream hip-hop is the same as real hip-hop.
    Last edited by Shoryuken; 2012-03-14 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Braggadociousness.

Deleted
    I voted lyricism but id say after that it has to be good production and flow. you can have some great lyrics/story telling etc but a poor flow that doesnt suit the track can ruin it

The beats what matters the most IMO

They could be rapping about the many varieties of cheese as long as its over a beat that goes hard

how many b*t*hes you claim to have. Or the amount of money/similar hyper consumerism cos you "made it".

Lets face it, it's 10% talent 90% boasting like a 5 year old. It's a very shallow image based "genre" (I use the term loosely) so the "music" really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-04-08 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    how many b*t*hes you claim to have. Or the amount of money/similar hyper consumerism cos you "made it".

Lets face it, it's 10% talent 90% boasting like a 5 year old. It's a very shallow image based "genre" (I use the term loosely) so the "music" really doesn't matter.
    Please.

Immortal Technique - Point of No Return
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Design In Malice
    Remedy - Never Again

Stop looking at mainstream rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Also quoted for truth. JMT has become a bit preachy/meh recently, but they used to pretty much spit fire years ago, with incredibly well constructed tunes.

I'd also recommend checking out 'Dead Prez'.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post

Hard Rock is nothing but songs about sex, Metal is nothing but angry grunting, Electronic Music is nothing but wub wub wub, Country is nothing but singing about 9/11, Classical music is nothing but shit for old farts, Jazz is only good for Fallout video games, and so on.

Or could it be that none of those sentiments are even remotely correct? For the love of God, don't spout off about things you clearly don't have a clue about.

I think the most important quality is honesty in the artist. You can have some incredible production, some of the most intricate and incredible wordplay, and your flow can be smooth as cream but in the end it still comes down to honesty. The best artists can convey their feelings in a complete, honest way and connect with listeners.