Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm kind of hoping the new website comes with some nifty APIs where I can do some fun stuff with a website if I so choose or even just download some data to play around with. I love data.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I actually don't consider that to be a benefit. The result, using the WoW forums as an example, is that when people read your posts, they look to your armory as a form of credentials to see if you're "worthy" of actually posting about the topic.
    I actually enjoy that feature and often checked the progression of posters on a given topic. I know Ciderhelm, Taugrim and a few others have expressed their approval of the feature publicly as well.

Supposedly a similar feature is coming for Rift. Which would be great I feel as their official forums are filled of sub progression players commenting on progression raiding. >.>

League of Legends also displays one's ranked standing on the forums.

I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Lol that's very true.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

I don't like going to gw2g. I can't put my finger on why it just feels off to me.
    That feeling is big brother watching over every move you make. The mods there are Nazis; one off topic post, one re-posted thread, one opinion that starts controversy and say good bye to your post and a possible ban in your future.

Deleted
    Doesn't say anywhere they would have forums on new site. That they call it "new marketing site" sound like they don't have plans to make it some community site with forums. Don't worry Anet know what a waste of resources official forums would be and there is lot better ways to gather feedback than official forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I actually enjoy that feature and often checked the progression of posters on a given topic. I know Ciderhelm, Taugrim and a few others have expressed their approval of the feature publicly as well.

Supposedly a similar feature is coming for Rift. Which would be great I feel as their official forums are filled of sub progression players commenting on progression raiding. >.>

I enjoy.
    You don't need to be at the top of a pyramid to understand it's construction. Having been in a progression raiding guild before that's had good standing on it's server for a short while, I didn't really see anything in a different light. My guild was certainly not Paragon in skill, but I still saw enough of the content and how it all went together, not to mention being in constant communication with players from even better guilds, to actually have an understanding of how things worked.
    It's not like anything is truly that complex or abstract that it's impossible for a mid-level player to have a deep understand of how things work, whether it be in raiding content or in PvP content.

The concept of credentials, quite honestly, is bad for any society, (it's hard enough to get a job when you also have to be better than everybody currently employed in order to get said job), but as this is a video game forum, I won't bother to start ranting further off-topic.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well, we know there will be forums (https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/). We don't know if there will be a bitching...er general forum though.

An Armory would be pretty cool, and I can't see it being overly difficult to do, assuming all the hooks are in the game. Path of Exile has an almost Armory, you can see what your characters have and can drag an item onto the forums, but I don't there you can view other characters.

As for an official forums, I think it can be done and done well, if they have the right community people. City of Heroes has had a pretty good forum for years with constant communication from the devs (many of which quickly reply to PMs). They have gone through a few CMs, but all of them have been pretty good. Heck, even one of the generic moderators eventually got pseudo promoted by, in a round about way, the community. If ANet and NC are willing to spend the resources, then I think it would be good for the game and the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well, we know there will be forums (https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/). We don't know if there will be a bitching...er general forum though.
    Significant difference between a support forum where you post X is bugged or, My computer won't run the game anymore how do I fix it? And a forum where people actually discuss the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

don't people discuss the game here?

Deleted

I enjoy.
    That didn't work on wow official forums since people posted on alts. That's one of main reason why AJ was way better than official pvp forums.

In my opinion it would be better if they developed good api for that new armory which fansites or even guild sites then could use to verify someone, bit like how EVE-Onlines API key work. That would help fansites build communities.
    Last edited by mmoca7d06c4104; 2012-03-14 at 09:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The truth of the matter is that the concept of credentials actually slows down community growth, rather than helping to build it. It's a barrier of entry that causes people to discuss topics and ideas less, and simply end up going "Oh, look at this guy's armory, he doesn't deserve to post about this." followed by people bashing each other left and right about who does and doesn't deserve to discuss a topic, rather than... just discussing the topic and coming to an agreement about things, as civil adults should.

ANet wants to foster cooperative atmosphere - remember that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

You don't need to be at the top of a pyramid to understand it's construction. Having been in a progression raiding guild before that's had good standing on it's server for a short while, I didn't really see anything in a different light. My guild was certainly not Paragon in skill, but I still saw enough of the content and how it all went together, not to mention being in constant communication with players from even better guilds, to actually have an understanding of how things worked.
    It's not like anything is truly that complex or abstract that it's impossible for a mid-level player to have a deep understand of how things work, whether it be in raiding content or in PvP content.
    With respect, I simply do not agree.

Being able to understand how to read, parse and filter information is a personal trait. Having some provable experience is a highly valuable tool in sifting riff-raff from quality comments.

Credentials/experience matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    With respect, I simply do not agree.

Being able to understand how to read, parse and filter information is a personal trait. Having some provable experience is a highly valuable tool in sifting riff-raff from quality comments.

Credentials/experience matter.
    Not when you're trying to foster a sense of community and cooperation and discussion.

I've spent my whole life being told these things you're trying to tell me, and anytime I actually reached the top of a pyramid, my opinions and perspective did not magically change because of some supposedly restricted information that was suddenly, magically, at my fingertips.

It could even be said that people at the top often have no understanding of how things work below their level, as can be seen with politics today. The problem I've always had, for example, with WoW pvp balance, is that people (including Blizzard) are primarily concerned with balance at the top level of gaming, thus resulting in imbalance at the lower levels that turns away new people.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-14 at 06:54 PM.

Not when you're trying to foster a sense of community and cooperation and discussion.
    Having some form of credentials does not restrict open discussion. One is still free to voice their view. As others are free to ignore, dismiss or disagree based on whatever criteria they wish.

Unless of course the community requires X,Y,Z- which I am actually fine with elitism of this sort.

I've spent my whole life being told these things you're trying to tell me, and anytime I actually reached the top of a pyramid, my opinions and perspective did not magically change because of some supposedly restricted information that was suddenly, magically, at my fingertips.
    This doesn't actually mean anything though. And perhaps reflects poorly on you. No disrespect.

The value is to others in checking the validity of your experience. Such that one may claim to be dropping Akky nightly but a quick check reveals the poster has never been deeper than Matron or some-such. I am less likely to put much stock in the views of someone with less experience than I feel is acceptable to the topic at hand.

Just as I am less likely to accept an application without experience I feel adequate for the position.

Well basing one's opinion from their Armory is bit silly.

To use as an analogy, in professional sports the best coaches are most often not the best players. Have you ever heard Pele speak about soccer? It's total nonsense.

Deleted
    The truth of the matter is that the concept of credentials actually slows down community growth, rather than helping to build it. It's a barrier of entry that causes people to discuss topics and ideas less, and simply end up going "Oh, look at this guy's armory, he doesn't deserve to post about this." followed by people bashing each other left and right about who does and doesn't deserve to discuss a topic, rather than... just discussing the topic and coming to an agreement about things, as civil adults should.

ANet wants to foster cooperative atmosphere - remember that.
    People are going to find way to use that official armory to build sites like AJ. In case Anet doesn't provide api for fansites, then fansites will just use the official armory to verify poster like ask you to put certain item on your char so it show on armory.

It could even be said that people at the top often have no understanding of how things work below their level, as can be seen with politics today. The problem I've always had, for example, with WoW pvp balance, is that people (including Blizzard) are primarily concerned with balance at the top level of gaming, thus resulting in imbalance at the lower levels that turns away new people.
    Balancing game for top and bottom level of gaming same time is nearly impossible. I really hope they don't even try that and just focus on top level and just let players who aren't very good yet to learn how to play better. Anet is trying to build E-Sport with GW2 and then best way to balance it is for top level of gaming.
    Last edited by mmoca7d06c4104; 2012-03-14 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    If somebody is lacking the experience to form a correct opinion, it will be instantly obvious just by what they're saying, and you can use your own experience to show how they're wrong, rather than a petty "Oh, but you don't have the experience as evidenced by your profile, get out" response. That's a much more cooperative form of community.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Balancing game for top and bottom level of gaming same time is nearly impossible.
    Are you saying that simply because you and Blizzard can't figure out how, or do you have some proof...?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-14 at 07:19 PM.

Blizzard has an impossible task for balancing their game. With so many variables involved it just isn't possible. Why do you think ArenaNet went away from the secondary profession? To remove some of that variability to try and make balancing a bit easier.

If somebody is lacking the experience to form a correct opinion, it will be instantly obvious just by what they're saying, and you can use your own experience to show how they're wrong, rather than a petty "Oh, but you don't have the experience as evidenced by your profile, get out" response. That's a much more cooperative form of community.
    That would simply be, 'being bad at forums'. If one is going to not put any effort into thoughtfully parsing information than no tools or lack of will change such a thing.

Deleted
    Are you saying that simply because you and Blizzard can't figure out how, or do you have some proof...?
    I am saying that because I think for the GW2 E-Sport to success it's better Anet prioritize balancing based on high level gaming.