Leveling Enchanting/JC on a new toon

On a new server with no access to gold or anything. It has been... difficult.

I got up to 465 Ench, 485 JC at last count.

The first few levels are very easy for both, the big pain is that DEing Jewelry is not very productive (or wasn't for me) until I hit Cata when the green rings are good, but my server has a very small AH and the ore market is run by just a couple of guys which is making leveling a bit expensive to do quickly and I really don't have the patience to grind gold any way other than flipping older enchanting mats as I have so far.

It has been a lot of fun to do it this way - kind of challenging and frustrating at once. Anyone have any tips or do anything similar?

Make a DK, train mining and level it to 80 and farm Obsidium Ore with it in Mount Hyjal. Getting your own supply going can make a huge difference if ore prices are high on your server.

Yeah, my one character on this server is the DK and I'm not sure I'm up for leveling a new toon just to farm ore.

Once I cap out, the money should stabilize very quickly, but I suppose for now I can just do the ore/DE cycle to make money rather than level professions for a little bit.

I did (am doing) exactly the same thing. Same low pop server overpriced mats issues. I found myself doing a bunch of Wotlk quests just to get the items to disenchant (infinite dust was rare/non-existent on the AH).

One thing I realized is that once you get to 510 or so, you don't really need to max jc. You only get the obsolete ilvl 346, some 377 pvp gear and maybe some359 items you won't craft. You can get all the token based cuts by then. So I am patiently waiting for the darkmoon faire(s) to roll around to get the last 5-15 levels. Enchanting has more pressure to get to 525, but with maelstroms and shards being so pricey, I might also wait to top it off via the faire.

I think I have jc at 515 and enchanting at 511 at the moment.