Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlena View Post
    I play Imp on Niman and the numbers are declining there. In the beginning we had around 200+ people on the fleet and yesterday at prime time we only had a small 100 man. There are still people levelling an alt or new players that rolled here because every levelling planet as around 20 people playing on them. But finding a group for hm's is hard and you can do that with in a window of 1 hour.
    Finding a group is hard with 100 people on fleet? I mean I can find a group in decent time and we have 30 people tops on fleet at prime time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cb11082 View Post
    The issue is that all the planets become pointless once you get passed a certain level. Thats the problem with why tatooine has only 30 people on it and the fleet has 200+.

The game is flawed from it's foundation, no patch will fix that. Sorry, I'm bummed like everyone else but swtor wasn't as good as I and many other people wanted it to be.
    Of course it wasn't as good as people wanted it to be. When people hear "I can't play other games after being in the SWTOR beta" every day on this forum, people are bound to be disappointed when it turns out it's far from the best game ever.

SWTOR is a decent game, it has some issues, but it has a lot of potential. Sadly, with how disappointed a lot of people (including me) are, I think a lot of the damage has been done, and I fear even a jesus patch won't make up for it. I myself have unsubbed and will stay unsubbed. However, I will be following SWTOR news to see how it's doing, since healthy competition is good for the mmo-scene in general.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

I would happy with 450 people just in my faction online at prime. 450 in fleet, yeah right. I have seen a second instance for fleet since early January before the 30 day with the game people left. I figured it was just my faction so I made an alt for crossover and lo and behold, they are just like ours.

If there are people there they are hiding. I think a better way to truly judge population is look at GTN. If I see more than two pages of mats for any skill it must be a weekend.

Waiting for someone to post the Gamsutra article claiming growth... y'know, Gamsutra the people who publish corporate PR statements as if they are original articles.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    If there are indeed to many servers.. you dont really have to look to far to find out why. Everyone and their brother was bitching and complaining about wait times when they first opened servers despite anyone who had actually played in a MMO launch before telling everyone that it will settle down and full server pops are a good thing. However, what happend? people bitched and complained like they always do and they opened up more servers.. and here we are with low pop servers lol. IF people had just realized they where purposely keeping caps low to help spread out the population things would of been in better shape but.. you cant tell anyone anything these days.

Regardless there are a LOT of servers where the populations are just fine. Server transfers will open up and that will help some and some growth WILL happen and is already happening. Despite the nay sayers and there crusade to prove that the game has some how failed there are a LOT of fantastic things coming and a LOT of development being pushed SWTOR's way which will attract even more people and bring a few back as well. The new patch is awesome and it no longer matters at all what should of been, it is and its coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Deefame View Post
    Finding a group is hard with 100 people on fleet? I mean I can find a group in decent time and we have 30 people tops on fleet at prime time.
    On Niman, it used to be so that you'd throw "LF1M tank XXX hardmode" and you'd get a few whispers instantly. If you asked for DPS, you'd have to spend a while convincing people on general chat to stop whispering you to stop the spam. You'd see a raid pug after raid pug formed and filled up fast.

Now it's no use bothering to make a group for anything outside prime time and even then it's mostly "fast BT hardmode" for the daily. Seems like 3/4 of the players are gone (judging by fleet population) and the ones left don't have anything to do besides run PvP and warzones are the only active playmode left.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    If there are indeed to many servers.. you dont really have to look to far to find out why. Everyone and their brother was bitching and complaining about wait times when they first opened servers despite anyone who had actually played in a MMO launch before telling everyone that it will settle down and full server pops are a good thing. However, what happend? people bitched and complained like they always do and they opened up more servers.. and here we are with low pop servers lol. IF people had just realized they where purposely keeping caps low to help spread out the population things would of been in better shape but.. you cant tell anyone anything these days.

Regardless there are a LOT of servers where the populations are just fine. Server transfers will open up and that will help some and some growth WILL happen and is already happening. Despite the nay sayers and there crusade to prove that the game has some how failed there are a LOT of fantastic things coming and a LOT of development being pushed SWTOR's way which will attract even more people and bring a few back as well. The new patch is awesome and it no longer matters at all what should of been, it is and its coming.
    Besides the new pacific servers they haven't added new ones. I dont see how server xfrs will do anything but make things worse for low population servers. Would you choose to go to a server that never has more then 20 ppl in any zone including fleet for both factions? I know i sure wouldnt, so ppl will leave making it that much worse on those.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Mergining server is a MUST,because this starts to look like AOC and WAR and we all know what happend...

10+ Year Old Account
    Even why my server was marked at Very Heavy (first month of release) there was never 450 in the fleet, highest was 290.

Now my server is always standard and there is only 150 at the very most on fleet at peak times (Ahto City).

The game is dying and server merges are needed due to their big fuck up at the start of the game.

I ask for a screenshot of this 450, because I think you are lying.

If servers are low pop, people will leave the game. *One thing that makes an MMO a success is lots of people around you playing. *When you play this game, you hardly see anyone.

What I find funny in a mostly ironic sense is that when the servers were queued up back in December and January people were crying out for more servers and increasing caps and now that that's happened people are now saying BW made too many servers and have to force mergers. I'm of the opinion that they should have left the servers as they were and waited until the huge influx of players dwindled to a more predictable level before opening up such a vast amount of servers. Only time will tell, however, and it seems that on my server (Saber of Exar Kun) that although the Republic fleet generally only has 1/3 population of the Empire fleet, I have less problems getting groups on the Republic side. Go figure. That said, the time I'm posting now, both fleets will have about 10-20 people or so. WTB transfer to Asia-Pacific server.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the people who were crying over server queues at launch, myself and many others were telling them to deal with it as this should happen with every mmo at launch.

Now the people who are still playing, are getting punished from the people who whined about queues.

Bioware are to blame though, they should never of gave in, unless they had ridiculous expectations for an unfinished game to get 5 mil subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Keep in mind it is the start of the game. Personally I do not like the idea of a server merger right now. They're estimating above 2mill subs by summer... so thats 300k more players. Now spread that around all the servers that we have and bam. If they do server mergers, at some point they're going to have to open up new servers and that just seems hectic to me honestly.
    Yeah after they open to the Asians markets... I highly doubt they will be able to maintain more then 300k from NA and like 400k from europe. Game sucks and I realized that the 1st day yet i paid for 2months anyways - how many people out there like me?

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 04:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    What I find funny in a mostly ironic sense is that when the servers were queued up back in December and January people were crying out for more servers and increasing caps and now that that's happened people are now saying BW made too many servers and have to force mergers. I'm of the opinion that they should have left the servers as they were and waited until the huge influx of players dwindled to a more predictable level before opening up such a vast amount of servers. Only time will tell, however, and it seems that on my server (Saber of Exar Kun) that although the Republic fleet generally only has 1/3 population of the Empire fleet, I have less problems getting groups on the Republic side. Go figure. That said, the time I'm posting now, both fleets will have about 10-20 people or so. WTB transfer to Asia-Pacific server.
    People only asked for more servers because of the ridiculous server caps they had. Game was never "full" only appeared so.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 04:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I ask for a screenshot of this 450, because I think you are lying.
    We know hes lying, no need to call him out on it.

Considering you only need 3 people to form a group with, 200+ people is overkill. Population whining is unwarranted.
    Assuming 10% of the people in fleet at any given time are 50 and wanting to do a daily HM FP, you only need like 30 50s on fleet, which every server has pretty much on both factions.

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    On Niman, it used to be so that you'd throw "LF1M tank XXX hardmode" and you'd get a few whispers instantly. If you asked for DPS, you'd have to spend a while convincing people on general chat to stop whispering you to stop the spam. You'd see a raid pug after raid pug formed and filled up fast.

Now it's no use bothering to make a group for anything outside prime time and even then it's mostly "fast BT hardmode" for the daily. Seems like 3/4 of the players are gone (judging by fleet population) and the ones left don't have anything to do besides run PvP and warzones are the only active playmode left.
    That's basically how Niman Republic is too. It was busy at first, with less than half the Imperials, there were plenty of groups going around, but now the fleet sits at around 20-30 Maybe 40-50 for 30minutes or so at absolute peak times, and there's hardly any chat in the channels and hardly any groups going around.

The PvP queue times are starting to rise too - well it's either I get an instant queue because the ONLY active Warzone for the republic has 6-7 people in it, or I sit around waiting, some times up to an hour only to get in with half a team.

It's really sad and a shame, I don't want to reroll since I spent so much time here, I'd gladly transfer in an instant, and getting my whole guild to transfer is much more likely than getting them all to reroll again, more likely they would quit than reroll.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 12:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PandarianLeakage View Post
    Considering you only need 3 people to form a group with, 200+ people is overkill. Population whining is unwarranted.
    Assuming 10% of the people in fleet at any given time are 50 and wanting to do a daily HM FP, you only need like 30 50s on fleet, which every server has pretty much on both factions.
    Go take a look at Niman Republic, I assure you that isn't the case. At peak time we have maybe 30 players, and for a short time when the handful of raiding guilds are about to start raiding, over 40 or 50, but that's for about 10 minutes, the rest of the day it is below 30 most of the time, and a lot of those are not 50.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious, what is the ammount of players per-instance in this game?

I play on Axiel Park and last time I went to republic fleet at prime time, it was instance 2, with 6 players?

I don't think I have ever parsed a /who with more than 20 since launch, on this server but the instance numbers have been in the the 20s range on some occasions.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Besides the new pacific servers they haven't added new ones. I dont see how server xfrs will do anything but make things worse for low population servers. Would you choose to go to a server that never has more then 20 ppl in any zone including fleet for both factions? I know i sure wouldnt, so ppl will leave making it that much worse on those.
    Actually this is incorrect. Shortly after they opened during the early access period or shortly after they opened up several new servers to meet demand, expanding beyond what they had at launch as people could wrap there head around the fact that they where purposely keeping server pops low in order to encourage the population to spread its self around. These where the days of several hour ques. Anyone who has played during a release understood this was temporary but here we are.

however, and it seems that on my server (Saber of Exar Kun) that although the Republic fleet generally only has 1/3 population of the Empire fleet, I have less problems getting groups on the Republic side. Go figure. That said, the time I'm posting now, both fleets will have about 10-20 people or so. WTB transfer to Asia-Pacific server.
    Nice to see a fellow Saber of Exar kun player! However our server actually seems to be fine population wise. we usually range between 100-150 in fleet during prime evening hours and there always is a decent spread of individuals between the lvling zones. Granted this is from a imperial perspective. I just started a republic alt so I dont really have a pulse on the populations republic side but our guild has a Republic faction as well and they seem to do fine activity wise. All in all though I know there are some genuinely low pop servers out there I think it is a bit over blown as most things brought to the forums. Only time will tell if they will fill out again or if people will just continue to gravitate toward the already populated servers.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-03-15 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    What I find funny in a mostly ironic sense is that when the servers were queued up back in December and January people were crying out for more servers and increasing caps and now that that's happened people are now saying BW made too many servers and have to force mergers. I'm of the opinion that they should have left the servers as they were
    You REALLY can't put blame on random people whining at forums. If any company is doing any real decisions based on the opinion of internet forum whiners, they're incompetent and fully deserve any blame. This was all predictable and we've seen so many MMO launches now that what happened with servers is really inexcusable. Everyone knew there would be a flood of players at first, that there would bet a drop after the first free months are over for the players in the main flood and that only then it would start stabilizing. Everyone knows some servers end up dying in any MMO launch.

For example, if I were launching an MMO, I would include a few temporary servers at launch. They'd be announced to be temporary with a set merging date for evening out server populations later. You could give some minor boons for players picking these servers - some mount, fluff or a 5 % experience boost (not that problematic since you'd be a bit gimped on running endgame on a temporary server) - and you'd likely get some people who don't mind server moves rolling there instead of having to move those players who might get really pissed off (eg the people who want to pick a name that will exist on every server).

That may or may not help but it's a very simple idea and it's easy to come up with a lot of similar moves. SWToR had no plan, not even any attempt, for the problems that any veteran gamer could see coming and now the servers are a mess with no transfers in sight.

Deleted
    there arent battlegroups for different servers for pvp? Or you only end up with people on same server and therefor might get longer queues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    there arent battlegroups for different servers for pvp? Or you only end up with people on same server and therefor might get longer queues?
    No, currently, everything is still same server. Cross server groups would solve some of the issues, as would an LFFP / LFO option but that would reduce the 'community' of same server groupings. You lose a lot of the civility and community when you start to go cross server.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    You REALLY can't put blame on random people whining at forums. If any company is doing any real decisions based on the opinion of internet forum whiners, they're incompetent and fully deserve any blame. This was all predictable and we've seen so many MMO launches now that what happened with servers is really inexcusable. Everyone knew there would be a flood of players at first, that there would bet a drop after the first free months are over for the players in the main flood and that only then it would start stabilizing. Everyone knows some servers end up dying in any MMO launch.

For example, if I were launching an MMO, I would include a few temporary servers at launch. They'd be announced to be temporary with a set merging date for evening out server populations later. You could give some minor boons for players picking these servers - some mount, fluff or a 5 % experience boost (not that problematic since you'd be a bit gimped on running endgame on a temporary server) - and you'd likely get some people who don't mind server moves rolling there instead of having to move those players who might get really pissed off (eg the people who want to pick a name that will exist on every server).
    Don't want to start a gw2 vs swtor debate (again ) but there's certainly options to avoid long queues. What arenanet is implementing is overflow servers.
    What this does is that if you your server is full, instead of sitting in a queue, your character will be temporarily transfered to another server while queueing, so you can play while waiting for your queue to finish. Once it does, you can transfer back to your home server, without losing progress.

There's probably other ways, but I really feel like stuff like this should be industry standard.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Don't want to start a gw2 vs swtor debate (again ) but there's certainly options to avoid long queues. What arenanet is implementing is overflow servers.
    What this does is that if you your server is full, instead of sitting in a queue, your character will be temporarily transfered to another server while queueing, so you can play while waiting for your queue to finish. Once it does, you can transfer back to your home server, without losing progress.

There's probably other ways, but I really feel like stuff like this should be industry standard.
    Personally I thought that is what the instancing was for in the first place. Too many players in an areas? Create another instance of it. So how BioWare handled launch seemed odd. I don't recall ever seeing a zone count hit three hundred, let alone four, and I started on the first day of the early access. Thirteenth of December wasn't it? Ended up with toons across four servers and the highest I ever noticed was in the two hundreds. Three or four instances running. Think I recall seeing one with five instances once but, again, my memory may be a little fuzzy.

I get the feeling that BioWare has kept the server caps way too low from the beginning. Though whether that is more because of expected growth or engine limitations I couldn't say.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.