Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugoogolizer View Post
    I researched the only servers at standard or higher over several days during my normal play hours and came down to The Harbinger for my reroll. I also really didn't want to do yet another Imperial character from the start, so I switched to Republic. It's so refreshing to see a large number of people on whatever planet I'm currently on and actually being able to do group quests and warzones and flashpoints! I was able to get to 31 over the course of a few days. So much fun and easier when you know what you're doing lol
    Exactly what I did, rolling a Jedi for the first time and havn't got bored of it yet, so awesome playing with others

A midle term instead of server mergers, would free char xfers, WOW does them and that wouldn't have any bad stigma associated with it, RIft also did it.

Its time for Bioware to implement it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocPrime View Post
    Exactly what I did, rolling a Jedi for the first time and havn't got bored of it yet, so awesome playing with others
    This^^...no matter how much it might feel like...eurgh cba rerolling and levelling to 50 again.... after having a 50sage and rerolling a trooper on a heavier server...i love the game again, guild chat constantly going on and having a laugh...asking if anyone wants to group all the time...and to see90+ people on taris was :O

i think swotr is not gaining much interest because all the other mmo's (wow) have the player base with to much invested in the game that starting over drives them away, my personelll experience
    o.O

So... I'm looking at those histograms posted by SirRobin a bit above me. What I'm seeing from this is that TOR has a total population of about 10,000? Is that right?

I personally really enjoyed TOR but the low population thing killed it for me. With roughly only 3 hours of time to play per sitting I can't afford to stand around fleet for a hour or more trying to field a group. I just really missed the massively part of the MMO and let my sub run out! I personally hope that EA/BW can do something to turn things around but as it stands now I think he nails have been driven into their coffin!

Edit: and according to this:http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-num...swtor-servers/ My server The Ebon Hawk was #5 in the top 10 of PVE/RP servers. I've seen only one OPs pug since launch. Finding a group for a FP can take an hour or more,(unless of course you run w/ guilds) and the low level planets are all but dead! Sad state of affairs if my server was really in the top 5 of population!
    Last edited by Deatheryn; 2012-03-28 at 02:14 PM.

April 10th and May 15th are slowly approaching. Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by ThePilkington View Post
    So... I'm looking at those histograms posted by SirRobin a bit above me. What I'm seeing from this is that TOR has a total population of about 10,000? Is that right?
    No.

That histogram is a snapshot of people on at a single moment.

It does not show population or subscriptions.

Just who was on at a the time the sample was taken.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    That's assuming people care, I doubt many people besides the forum warriors much like your self give a rats ass if BW merge servers or not. If they are playing currently it will be a welcome change as it makes the game more enjoyable to be on a populated server, if you don't play it yet but are considering it and are the type of person to read enough about it to find out about server mergers then I doubt you would see it as a bad thing if you where to decide to play it, if you don't read up about it you wouldn't have a clue about it either way as such have no impact on the subject.

Besides that, it's good that you are a expert on the game, it's code and the inner workings of BW to be able to set us straight on the matter, now we know they are holding it back from us on the gamble that they might lose more customers by introducing such a feature, no really.
    Well given that we've even seen a couple of posts on this board, explaining why rerolling isn't feasible for them but they still want something to be done... It does appear that some do actually care. Also don't forget the power of word-of-mouth and twitville. "Don't bother, game is dying, they are closing servers," in answer to a question on boards, walls, and or tweets far far away, is the last thing BioWare should want to encourage in any way.

I'm not claiming to be an expert but are we really talking about rocket science here? Seriously? They are exporting some data from one server and importing it to another. They've shown they can do it already and there is plenty of history of it in the mmorpg market. So did they wait until their Q&A team leveled characters to the appropriate level and gear before testing certain content or did they just create characters that had the required specs, gear, etc, etc...

Its pretty obvious that the ability is there. So if they have the ability then what is lacking? One candidate of course is the ability to charge for it. That is a possibility but would BioWare really want to risk the potential backlash? Wanting extra for something can upset even customers who don't plan to use it. Another candidate is, as mentioned, not wanting to risk sending the wrong "message" to the "no pre-existing account" masses they are trying to tempt.

Given BioWare's love affair with charging extra for stuff already, as in DLC's. I rather doubt the mentality or planning for that was ever lacking. Just the lead in time perhaps, if they honestly didn't expect TOR to plateau around a month after launch. So the more likely of the two, in my opinion of course, would be trying to keep the marketing running on all cylinders for as long as possible.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well given that we've even seen a couple of posts on this board, explaining why rerolling isn't feasible for them but they still want something to be done... It does appear that some do actually care.
    You do realize I was talking about people not currently playing right, hence why I said If they are playing currently it will be a welcome change.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm not claiming to be an expert but are we really talking about rocket science here? Seriously? They are exporting some data from one server and importing it to another. They've shown they can do it already and there is plenty of history of it in the mmorpg market. So did they wait until their Q&A team leveled characters to the appropriate level and gear before testing certain content or did they just create characters that had the required specs, gear, etc, etc...
    Or maybe it has to do with legacy, maybe they fucked up design wise, who knows, you coming here with your tinfoil helmet strapped on extra tight claiming this that and the other helps no one.

Please do not reduce yourself to insults, you can do better. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-03-28 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    The other model is to start small and build loyal players over time.
    True, but WoW's very success made that model much more difficult to pull off. Especially when you have as much time, talent, and treasure involved with the game as EA had and has with TOR.

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    No.

That histogram is a snapshot of people on at a single moment.

It does not show population or subscriptions.

Just who was on at a the time the sample was taken.
    Yep, that is just an "at the moment" snapshot that is not indicative of total subscription numbers. Just how many happen to be on at that time. Then again, I was rather surprised that it wasn't higher.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-03-28 at 04:05 PM.

Or maybe it has to do with legacy, maybe they fucked up design wise, who knows, you coming here with your tinfoil helmet strapped on extra tight claiming this that and the other helps no one.
    I do know they completely fucked up their basic database design. A mate or mine rerolled very soon after launch after leveling a class he didn't like for a bit. He wanted to keep the same name so he deleted his low level character and made another with the same name and as he leveled he found his character bugging up in multiple ways. The worst was he couldn't receive any mail whatsoever - apparently their databases couldn't handle such a simple thing as creating a character with the same name as an already deleted character.

I tried that after he told me about it and sure enough, making a character, deleting it, and making another character with the same name resulted in a character that could never receive mail. Mail sent to them would just disappear. It took them something like a month to fix this issue so it's not surprising if they're running into a load of bugs and design flaws while trying to work out server transfers.

I feel this game really was rushed out for Christmas and now it's going to be very hard to recover...

Dont want to sound like a doom speaker. I think it's all too little to late. I applaud BW for opening so many servers at start. But should have started merging when it became less needed. I am not sure why but these servers they are using are terrible at handling lots of people at one location.
    My highest count of ppl was 200+. That was from the early days. Now it's a max of 60-80+ even in the weekends.
    I love this game. Well design and spot on the detail of the experience. No loot issues, cause the game assigns you loot. (read that wow will be copying that) So no ninja-ing of stuff in raids. For me this is my last sub. I cant waste a whole day yelling 'Heal LFG FE HM' and maybe one responding.

1.2 comes too late, bringing a few fixed but also a lot of cosmetic changes that should have been 1.0. Imo BW listens too much to ppl on the forums. Thread after thread about how ppl dont want an LFD, no macro's and addons. 'These things destroy communities'. 'Look at wow they say'.
    Well wow didnt even have a community before the LFD came... Stop the BS plx. Now that BW says they want to make an LFD the whole crap starts again. 'I hope it's not cross server' bla bla. Too many ppl in that game wanting to enforce there way of playing onto others. Just a lot of backward ppl.

I gave up WoW a while back swore I would never return. WoW is a solid game... shitty grapics... but solid. Dont get me wrong. If TOR had an LFD and at least macro's i wouldnt even be looking at MoP or GW2 (only because it's free). But for me this is the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize I was talking about people not currently playing right, hence why I said If they are playing currently it will be a welcome change.
    My mistake, misread you there.
    I don't have a tinfoil helmet. The excuse they used didn't make sense to me so I was exploring and explaining. If a poster brings something up that I feel like responding too, then I usually do. Just as if I feel like I have something to add, I usually do. You know, that whole public forum... "thing." Again, I'm mmoless right now and TOR is my most recent one. Given that I've played it for a couple of months and pretty closely followed it for years prior to launch. Well its a subject that I'm still pretty comfortable with providing my, and defending slash expanding if need be, opinion on.

Of course no longer having an active account I cannot post on the "official" forum. So forums that also provide a board for this game are a natural place for me to ponder in. I like this forum so far as the moderation strikes a pretty good balance and is pretty active in the discussion. Just as the posting population seems relatively balanced between the extremes, opinion wise, with plenty somewhere in between. I've also been impressed with the way bans are temporary so it gives time for cooling down without removing a viewpoint permanently from the discussion.

My activity may be dropping a bit since FotS is out now, but until another mmorpg takes its share of my spare time TOR is still my topic of choice for that part of the market.

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    I do know they completely fucked up their basic database design. A mate or mine rerolled very soon after launch after leveling a class he didn't like for a bit. He wanted to keep the same name so he deleted his low level character and made another with the same name and as he leveled he found his character bugging up in multiple ways. The worst was he couldn't receive any mail whatsoever - apparently their databases couldn't handle such a simple thing as creating a character with the same name as an already deleted character.
    That's weird. I rerolled a lot, and used the same name, trying for just the right "look" for my toons but never noticed any trouble like that. I had the digital deluxe edition so my toons got mail right off the bat. Not to mention sending money and drops back and forth and never noticed an issue.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-03-28 at 04:43 PM.