Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Video about stuff I didn't know!

I found this guy on youtube doing loads of really good videos.
    He recently uploaded a video describing stuff I had no idea about before. I didn't know about the overflow servers, or how the waypoints worked. Heartily recommending this guy, he's fairly unknown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAj7W...42FUAAAAAAAAAA

Fml, the waypoint system sounds quite nice.

Edit: Thx for the share btw

I had actually forgotten about those videos. They really are great and informative though the older ones are a bit out of date.

10+ Year Old Account
    I subscribed to this guy awhile ago, I learned most of the stuff I know right now about GW2 just through his videos. If anyone needs solid info about GW2 i'd go through this guy -- getbonkd

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the first two points in other video's, though not as 'in depth' as in here. Didn't know about the server overflow system, it's quite neat tbh. Though, it's also a bit daunting, are they expecting servers to be so full as to need an overflow system? Will they put up so few servers to begin with that they know it's not going be enough? Could be good I suppose, with few servers there's little chance of empty servers, on the other hand, being thrown on a backup system all the time will get annoying as well I'd expect.

Liked him going a bit more in depth on the less talked about things in the game although for me personally he comes across as a bit too fan-boyish to take as a serious video reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Itko View Post
    Saw the first two points in other video's, though not as 'in depth' as in here. Didn't know about the server overflow system, it's quite neat tbh. Though, it's also a bit daunting, are they expecting servers to be so full as to need an overflow system? Will they put up so few servers to begin with that they know it's not going be enough? Could be good I suppose, with few servers there's little chance of empty servers, on the other hand, being thrown on a backup system all the time will get annoying as well I'd expect.
    I can't think of any major MMO that didn't have large queues, at least at its release. WoW, Rift, SWTOR, they all large queues. I'm pretty sure each of them had servers that had 1000+ players waiting in queue. My numbers could be wrong for some games, but they still had queues.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-15 at 08:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I can't think of any major MMO that didn't have large queues, at least at its release. WoW, Rift, SWTOR, they all large queues. I'm pretty sure each of them had servers that had 1000+ players waiting in queue. My numbers could be wrong for some games, but they still had queues.
    I can only speak about WoW, since that's the only mmo I've played so far but I've never had a queue go over 200 or 300, and even then only in the first 2 days after the TBC and WoTLK launches. I know I didn't play in the most crowded of EU servers, but they were labelled as being full.
    As I said though, it might turn out to be a good thing not to start out with too many servers (if that's what they do), since the servers might actually stay full and crowded which, I suppose, is kind of the idea of being an MMO and rather essential for the dynamic quests. I just hope it won't interfere too much with playing with friends, which is what I'll be doing most of the time

Liked him going a bit more in depth on the less talked about things in the game although for me personally he comes across as a bit too fan-boyish to take as a serious video reviewer.
    Many MMOs at launch have awful que times that padder out over time but when MMOs first come out many people play more then they normaly would for things like trying to reach level cap first or cap a crafting skill first or kill a raid boss first etc, in vanilla WoW it was not uncommon on several servers to see a 20-40 minute que even late into vanilla, in ToR when it first came out there where a handful ov servers where you would expect a 90-120 minute que (not all servers but some), in fact I ended up abandoning my early access toons and started on a new server because no matter the time of day for the longest while my original server had a 20 minute minimum wait time even at odd hours of the night.

And besides that I do believe they said you can choose which servers you visit you just can not do WvW on those servers, so if friend A ends up on server Q friends B,C, and D can all choose to play with friend A on server Q as long as they are not wanting WvWvW... Not going to try to find where they said you could choose to visit a server but if you want to look for it it shouldn't be to hard to find.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksAlot View Post
    Fml, the waypoint system sounds quite nice.

Edit: Thx for the share btw
    FML, I don't think it means what you think it means.

I heard a few things recently I didn't know. Who knew that when you login you'll be able to login as "Away", "Invisible", or "Online"? Also you'll be able to join multiple guilds. (ie. One for hardcore pve, one for pvp...etc.)

Waypoints are nice, and i like how they change depending on the events. But all in all, not a massive innovation at all. Just convenient. It is cool that asura gates lets you go from city to city easily, so you can meet up with friends easily.

I do sense some bias in that video. He talks about spawning at a waypoint as if its a big innovation over running back to your corpse. But... you are running back to the spot you were at anyway. And again, its nothing massively new from other MMOs. So... choosing a waypoint to spawn, not a big deal.

Repair system, again something he calls amazing. Saying stuff like "i can get to lv80 without ever repairing!". Well, i can do that in WoW aswell... i replace gear so often i rarely have to repair during leveling anyway. And he speaks as if its even possible to avoid getting killed. Repair kicks in in PvE and WvW. You can get jumped in WvW and you will die, not a whole lot you can do about it. And you will die in PvE aswell. Look at all the traps in a dungeon! Or hard world puzzles where you basicly get through based on trial and error. You WILL die and you WILL be forced to repair. And that is the biggest reason to repair in WoW aswell, not because of those minor 1% durability losses every now and again, but when i die and loose a 10% chunk. Nothing innovative or new.

Overflow server, now this here is pure genius. Simple, elagent and effective.

Deleted
    Nice! Finally found myself a great source for "sneak-peaks" on GW2

10+ Year Old Account

I think it's more that they plan to be prepared when the game launches, just in case. Blizzard wasn't.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Ah, a nice chilled set of vids - thanks for the link :-)

I'm afraid I've become a bit of a GW2 vid addict...I'll happily just sit and watch stuff, even if I know the details...just nice to see in-game footage and get other folks opinions etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Waypoints are nice, and i like how they change depending on the events. But all in all, not a massive innovation at all. Just convenient. It is cool that asura gates lets you go from city to city easily, so you can meet up with friends easily.

I do sense some bias in that video. He talks about spawning at a waypoint as if its a big innovation over running back to your corpse. But... you are running back to the spot you were at anyway. And again, its nothing massively new from other MMOs. So... choosing a waypoint to spawn, not a big deal.

Repair system, again something he calls amazing. Saying stuff like "i can get to lv80 without ever repairing!". Well, i can do that in WoW aswell... i replace gear so often i rarely have to repair during leveling anyway. And he speaks as if its even possible to avoid getting killed. Repair kicks in in PvE and WvW. You can get jumped in WvW and you will die, not a whole lot you can do about it. And you will die in PvE aswell. Look at all the traps in a dungeon! Or hard world puzzles where you basicly get through based on trial and error. You WILL die and you WILL be forced to repair. And that is the biggest reason to repair in WoW aswell, not because of those minor 1% durability losses every now and again, but when i die and loose a 10% chunk. Nothing innovative or new.

Overflow server, now this here is pure genius. Simple, elagent and effective.
    Yes, but unlike in WoW if you are a really good player you wont have to repair very often, everyone will have to repair their gear eventually because no one is good enough to 100% avoid dying as you said. But i know in wow i'd have my gear break mid fight just because the boss did constant AOE damage to the entire raid.

And the waypoint system is pretty major, you can choose to spawn anywhere, if you decide that you don't want to keep fighting there you can just waypoint to your major city or w/e and not have to waste X amount of time running to your corpse, otherwise it's the same as running back to your corpse. Is it majorly innovative? Not really, but imo it's much better then running back everytime you die.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I will agree that the video is from a rather biased point of view, but the information itself was spot on, so I won't fault it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Yes, but unlike in WoW if you are a really good player you wont have to repair very often, everyone will have to repair their gear eventually because no one is good enough to 100% avoid dying as you said. But i know in wow i'd have my gear break mid fight just because the boss did constant AOE damage to the entire raid.
    Its basicly the same system, minus one little thing. One way or another, its not an "exciting" feature or "innovative".

As for corpserunning, you dont have to. You can spawn at the graveyard and just click your "lets-go-back-to-town" button. Its merely a step up from WoWs system. Instead of taking time to travel from 1 waypoint to another, its instant. And you arent restricted to 1 location to teleport to, or a cooldown. Sure, its great to have an easier and faster time traveling around. But again, its not exactly innovative.

And thats just what my point was, the guy who made that video made things that arent anything all that special (except the overflow server) seem like its amazingly revolutionairy. Its not. Keep your head on your shoulders people.

Deleted
    I interpreted the video differently - it seemed to me that the guy, and the focus of the vid, was more about the little things...the attention to quality of life details.

He *was* impressed...but not by any single thing massively...just that anet have tried to improve on all the seemingly inconsequential things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    FML, I don't think it means what you think it means.
    Inconceivable!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Its basicly the same system, minus one little thing. One way or another, its not an "exciting" feature or "innovative".

As for corpserunning, you dont have to. You can spawn at the graveyard and just click your "lets-go-back-to-town" button. Its merely a step up from WoWs system. Instead of taking time to travel from 1 waypoint to another, its instant. And you arent restricted to 1 location to teleport to, or a cooldown. Sure, its great to have an easier and faster time traveling around. But again, its not exactly innovative.

And thats just what my point was, the guy who made that video made things that arent anything all that special (except the overflow server) seem like its amazingly revolutionairy. Its not. Keep your head on your shoulders people.
    Yes, but when you click the "lets go back to town" option in wow you lose money, and become completely useless for the next 10 minutes, where with the way points you can choose to give up on what you were doing and very quickly and easily move onto another thing you want to try.

And i think one main reason people are making them into big things is because the systems are, well, better in just about every respect. Even though they aren't that innovative or exciting (as you've said).
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.