Deleted

I like my manual :D

So i have been pondering things.

The standard edition only comes with the game and i would like the extra ingame things.

Which would leave me with the digital and the CE, now i'm not going to buy the CE i think it would be a bit extortionate right now.

That leaves one option; the digital deluxe, however i like getting the game manual and mmo's usually have somewhat of a small book and its nice to read while playing the game etc. Which is always a downer when getting digital games i guess but i did look forward when buying a new game as i got the box and the manual.....

I think i'm going to go for the digital....

Is there anyone else who would have the same sort of problem when buying a retail/digital version.

PS: I noticed that the CE, Standard and digital allowed for playing the game 3 days early, i'm very unsure how they would do that with the two retail versions, if you order online, the retailer will need to mail/allow you to take home the game 3-4days before release, which might not work out very well

Its just even though its only game files the the digital does seem to be the version that is most advantageous at getting to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    So i have been pondering things.

The standard edition only comes with the game and i would like the extra ingame things.

Which would leave me with the digital and the CE, now i'm not going to buy the CE i think it would be a bit extortionate right now.

That leaves one option; the digital deluxe, however i like getting the game manual and mmo's usually have somewhat of a small book and its nice to read while playing the game etc. Which is always a downer when getting digital games i guess but i did look forward when buying a new game as i got the box and the manual.....

I think i'm going to go for the digital....

Is there anyone else who would have the same sort of problem when buying a retail/digital version.

PS: I noticed that the CE, Standard and digital allowed for playing the game 3 days early, i'm very unsure how they would do that with the two retail versions, if you order online, the retailer will need to mail/allow you to take home the game 3-4days before release, which might not work out very well

Its just even though its only game files the the digital does seem to be the version that is most advantageous at getting to play the game.
    If you read the FAQ, you'd see that if you Pre-Purchase from their website or special retails, You'll receive a code which you will use at register.guildwars2.com. You will register your account with code and from that site you'll be able to download the GW2 client and to have access into the beta and 3 days headstart. I'm going for the CE myself.

Deleted
    For brick and mortar stores, they typically receive the products a good couple of days early, but are not allowed to sell any before the release date. So it's not in any way impossible for them to send you the game in time for your early access days.

Edit: If they are on ANet's list of pre-purchase retailers, of course.

I'm not sure if retailers will have the Deluxe edition or not, but I'd like to think they will.

As for pre-purchasing from retailers...

Select retailers (unknown at this time) will be offering the pre-purchases with the physical copies. You'll receive a code from the store that you register on the website and it will give you access to the beta weekend events as well as the 3 day head start. After the game is released you have 5 days to pick up your physical copy to play without interruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    For brick and mortar stores, they typically receive the products a good couple of days early, but are not allowed to sell any before the release date. So it's not in any way impossible for them to send you the game in time for your early access days.

Edit: If they are on ANet's list of pre-purchase retailers, of course.
    true, I usually get my games a few days in advance, which makes it annoying since they're usually steam-locked or something like that
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, when I worked at Gamestop, we sometimes got new games up to one week in advance. So I would not be worried about getting the game to you so you can have the early start.

Yeah, I am torn between digital and physical. I am getting the standard edition, but I am not sure whether I want to download it or install it through a CD. I always liked having a manual, but nowadays game manuals are getting smaller and smaller. Some games have manuals that are literally cover, controls, disclaimer, back cover. I am sure GW2 has a decent sized one, but I am not sure if it is worth having the freedom to download it and play it "sooner" (aka not waiting for the game to arrive in the mail).
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do digital games not come with a digital manual? I like manuals too... But Im quite happy for it to be like an ebook or even a pdf.

Deleted
    I've found that steam games sometimes come with a pdf manual, in an ideal world it should come with a manual in the game files as theres alot of things in this game and i'm not sure how many wikis will be up and online telling you how to get started.

On the note about manuals getting smaller/black and white/with just controller and install instructions..... when i open up a game box and see that; i feel let down slightly.

If the game comes with a good quality box and manual i think it feels more complete. I think the last time that happed was when i decided to get The Witcher enhanced edition it was fantastic, i then got the witcher 2 ce and the quality of the stuff you got continued, i was very pleased with my purchase.

I'm not sure if GW2 is going to have this option, but I've played games before where you can buy the standard copy at a store for $59.99, and once you activate your account, you can upgrade your account to the deluxe edition online for the extra $19.99. That would be ideal in your scenario. But I am unsure if GW2 is going to have anything like that available.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

I'd like to note that manuals for games that constantly evolve, like MMOs, are double edged swords.

On one hand, it will get you into the game if it's a proper manual and not modern install guide + "read on screen instructions to play" type of a manual. On the other hand, quite a bit of information may be outdated at release, and much if not most outdated a year into the game so you would likely be better off following the in game instructions and your personal experiences.

GW1 WaMos, I'm looking at you. Manual actually makes that suggestion, that warrior + mending is a good idea. As a result we had an influx of people who honestly believed it was a good idea. "Manual said it's a good idea!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm not sure if retailers will have the Deluxe edition or not, but I'd like to think they will.

As for pre-purchasing from retailers...

Select retailers (unknown at this time) will be offering the pre-purchases with the physical copies. You'll receive a code from the store that you register on the website and it will give you access to the beta weekend events as well as the 3 day head start. After the game is released you have 5 days to pick up your physical copy to play without interruption.
    It is like he says, however there is one difference between EU and US on this. Only in US do you have those 5 days to add the retail code to continue playing. For EU you don't get a second code (or even if you do, you wouldn't need one) since the first code is all you need. This is in the FAQ. Should be added this is for the standard edition, for Collector's Edition you need second code in EU aswell. Which I assume means that if you pre-purchase Collector's Edition you have to wait until headstart is over before you get the special items maybe?

Also as an overall theme of the replies. YES, there is a physical copy that you can pre-purchase!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jayme689 View Post
    I'm not sure if GW2 is going to have this option, but I've played games before where you can buy the standard copy at a store for $59.99, and once you activate your account, you can upgrade your account to the deluxe edition online for the extra $19.99. That would be ideal in your scenario. But I am unsure if GW2 is going to have anything like that available.
    I think that would be fantastic, being able to get the physical copy and (pay) to get the digital stuff, i hope they do as i would be a customer who would do that.