Headset Opinions / Suggestions

Alright. I've picked this forum board because, well, it has the largest pool of opinions of any forum board I partake in. (Awesome, right?) Anyway... I am in the market for a new headset and I need your opinions / suggestions on the best, overall set out there.

I've done some research and there seems to be some really pricy ones (ie, the Sennheiser PC 360) but, frankly, I don't want to spend that much money.

Here's what I'm looking for as far as a "wish list" of a perfect headset:

• Circumaural / Around-The-Ear Design
    • 3.5mm Connection
    • Permanent microphone placement (Not retractable / detachable)
    • Optional: Sturdy cord. (Long, durable, etc)

This is, as stated, just a "wish list". For the past few years I have been using the Logitech G35 Gaming Headset and I'm tired of the earpieces snapping at the swivel point. (I've bought 3 of them over the past 3 years or so).

If you know of an excellent headset and they don't fit the guidelines above that is fine; feel free to suggest them anyway. I'm simply wanting a headset that will last, sounds good overall (gaming, music, movies), and is durable.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Pretty much every single forum regular that I've seen post in these kinds of threads recommends a good pair of headphones and a clip on mic. You have to pay 2-3x as much to get the kind of audio quality in a headset that you can get in an affordable pair of headphones.

Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A.../dp/B000CMS0XU
    Mic: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1.../dp/B00029MTMQ

Well, today, I went on a cheap "experiment" spree. I never considered the option of good headphones + standalone microphone. I bought a cheap headset and microphone (~$35 total). Seems that microphone won't pick up. My rear jack (onboard) notes that I have a microphone plugged in but when speaking into it nothing is actually picked up.

Thinking it was due to a cheap mic, I went and bought something different; a cheap headset with analog connections. This mic actually worked (for some reason, I guess) but my guildies said it sounded like soggy potatoes. Additionally, the more I tried to adjust it to make it sound better the worse it got.

I don't believe my original microphone is bad. I mean, yes, I understand it's always a possibility. Frankly I've had overall bad experiences with analog. Perhaps it's something I'm doing wrong? Perhaps it's the onboard sound device and applicable software? I'm not sure.

Further advice and suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for an outright gaming headset with a mic? Hands down I love my Astro A40s. The sound quality is amazing best headset yet that I have owned for the price with the mixamp at $250 granted they are no Sennheiser HD 800 but I am quite happy with them. Super comfy they are like pillows on my ears. I used to use them raiding in WoW and loved them never had any discomfort raiding 5 hours a night. (No longer play WoW). I still continue to use them ton for gaming everything from my Ps3/xbox to PC.

Razer Carcharias. Best gaming headset I've ever used.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.35096300