Computer Issue - Heating Issue or a Failed HDD?

Basically, here is the situation I have had the machine for a little over a year. Just recently I have begun hearing loud "whirling." noises I guess would be the best way to describe it, and the computer turns off randomly. ( The Sound and the machine turning off do not coincide, I can have the machine on for 2-3 hours and hear the whirling intermittently or the whole time and have it randomly shut off and restart. I thought this was a heating issue at first so I downloaded a hardware temp monitor to watch it for awhile. I never saw anything in "danger zones" mostly in the 40c-50c, the harddrive how ever "did" seem to quickly go from 33/35c to 45c just from a few minutes of being turned on. Now how ever I can barely get the machine to get past the bootscreen with out it going off. I did not even touch it for 3 days as I went to Orlando recently and just returned today. Tried to get on this morning and would get to the Windows 7 load screen which is another why I don't think it is a heating issue, unless it is a heating issue and this is just resulting from the damage from a part over heating? I should also add that I cannot tell which part is making the noise, from the PSU/HDD/Mobo heat sink I have had the computer for over a year, and yes I used it often and strenuously for college gaming and watching movies. I did most likely keep it on more than I should have but I made sure I kept it well cooled with the fans. However I think the noises I am hearing are coming from one of those 3 places, with the PSU or the HDD being the most likely.

Also wondering since I bought the machine pre-built/preloaded with Windows 7 and if I do have to replace the HDD will I need to also replace the Windows 7?

If anyone has any idea as to the problem and a solution or questions so they can get a better grasp of the situation

Hard to say. It could be that the PSU is on his way out, or it could be that the HDD is failing.
    First, try booting it up and enter the BIOS. Wait a little and see if it shuts down. If it does - try disconnecting the HDD, start it up again and enter bios. If it shuts down again - it's not the HDD. You should also be able to check temperatures/voltages while there.
    If it's a CPU heat issue, then it should be able to boot into windows no problem (unless you have liquid cooling and the pump died). It would also shut down faster each time you start it up if it were to overheat. HDD sitting at ~45c is not a problem.
    You should have an OEM Windows CD (or something similar) with that PC. There should also be a sticker or something with the CD-key. Windows "attatches" to the motherboard ID (if it's OEM Windows), so there should be no problems replacing the HDD (you could contact whoever built that PC for clarification).
    But my bet is on the PSU.
    Last edited by Deangelo; 2012-03-15 at 02:50 PM.

It don't really shut down faster each time I start it. Kinda random on the times I can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RuyzakiaPCG View Post
    It don't really shut down faster each time I start it. Kinda random on the times I can use it.
    Well, I once had some trouble with my pc shutting down randomly. Couldn't solve it for almost a year - everything looked fine. Turned out that the 3V batter was dead (motherboard was only ~1 year old when all that started). Replaced the battery and the problem was gone, so you might want to check it's voltage (either via BIOS or take it out and use a multimeter. I don't remember the correct voltage, but it should be at least 2.9V, i think my new one was above 3V and the old one was 2.77V or less...).
    Anyway, try booting into BIOS with/without the HDD and see if there is a difference. Also check whatever voltages you can whilst in there.

Like Deangelo suggested, try unplugging the hard drive and go into the BIOS. Just let it sit for a little while. If it shuts down without the hard drive plugged in, it's likely a PSU issue.

Just unplugged the HDD - There is no annoying sound, and it sounds normal now. So I am guessing the issue is the HDD? It ran fine and I turned it back off so I didn't run it for long enough maybe to make sure.

Let it run for at least as long as it normally takes for it to shut down... But yes, if the sound is gone, it's probably a failing HDD.

If you manage to start it up you could try running a HDD read/write test (google will find at least a few free applications).

Okay so an update, I realized that after unplugging the HDD and leaving it running the sound showed up again. Currently on the machine now, and took this screen. http://i.imgur.com/4HnQj.png

I am guessing since the two fans, say FanIN0 and FanIN1 are running at two different speeds, that it it a issue with a fan? Someone please reply if you know.

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 04:30 AM ----------

It crashed on me restarted it. Took another screen was off for now less than 2 min. http://i.imgur.com/2vPaf.png

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 04:34 AM ----------

Hopefully someone understands this stuff.