Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Because this is just one guy, right? Nevermind the people who actually voted him into office, y'know, the American public, they're not responsible for this at all.
    Indeed.

If this was an isolated incident contrary to what the mainstream right wing has been trying to achieve in the last few months, this would be meaningless.

However, this is just yet another idiocy on top of a stack of them.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Australian and I was raised by a single mother.

I have no understanding of the implications of this bill on people in your land, but I can tell you this: if my father had actually intervened in my raising, things would be a lot better for me.

I wonder why he doesn't care about me. Very strange feeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post

I have no understanding of the implications of this bill on people in your land, but I can tell you this: if my father had actually intervened in my raising, things would be a lot better for me.

I wonder why he doesn't care about me. Very strange feeling.
    While that may be true, having a second parent isn't always an option. And though it may be better to be raised by two parents, a child can be raised by one without a problem.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Only in America!
    I read things like this and can't comprehend the ignorance.

People in China used to kill their first born if it was a girl, yet America is still the ultimate evil. Give me a break.

You declared pizza a vegetable.
    I fully expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    Well its me again...with one of the weird things i find on the net and post here :P

They want to pass a new law in Wisconsin that will make single parents possible child abusers...so,you just lost your husband/wife in an accident...you abuse your child...you just got raped and are pro-life...you abuse your child...you just your husband in the war in some hell hole in the middle east...well you abuse your child...shame on every single parent out there destroying your child's life...ts ts ts (some of that i wrote is irony just to clarify :P )

And here is the sources

http://jezebel.com/5889799/proposed-...od-child-abuse
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1316834.html

And just in case you were wondering why i post mostly US things...well the r/politics is about US things and its more fun most of the times...from the rest of the western world :P
    dude these types of laws never go through, why cant you understand this? there was a bill to make it illegal to wear PJ's in public and guess what happen to that? shot down. there are stupid laws like this everywhere and they never actually get anywhere
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    I fully expected this.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...gmhN_blog.html

If only people in other countries were as educated as us Americans.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    well with a law like this IF it pass which i hope it wont,then your dad was eligible for prison mate,shame on him for raising his children alone and not gave them for adoption in a good catholic family or found some random woman to marry so his kids have a female in the family too.(obviously i am joking)
    You had me till the end there.

OT: "emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect." ... Taken from the first source. Even a couple that's been together for 20 years could go to prison, if they ever had a child without being married. They're trying to get everyone in churches again to increase wedding ratios. Or even get them in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    I fully expected this.
    Could we stop with the "well you guys are idiots, so this isn't surprising?" I already know I'm a fat, loud, ignorant piece of shit because I'm from America, you don't need to keep reminding us.

I was (and still am legally, I guess) a single parent. My girlfriend abandoned my son and I years ago. I have worked some of the shittiest jobs imaginable and put myself through hell for him, and it's done him well.

Am I a child abuser?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...gmhN_blog.html

If only people in other countries were as educated as us Americans.
    I think anyone with an ounce of sense would have questioned such a claim anyway. Questioned it, googled it, found that article, and laughed at the absurdity of it.

Like the article says, the US Congress has pulled a few doozies, but this one?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gx240 View Post
    "I read an article about a really dumb law proposed by some legislator, so all Americans are dumb!" Of course these laws never actually pass, and they never go into effect. But basic logic has never been a strong point of Europeans.
    The fact that it's even proposed is insanity. Says something about the mindset of people, which...you know, that kind of mindset is looked down upon for sane people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    Only in America!

Yes, here comes my infraction by an obviously patriot moderator.
    Yeah, like, did you hear about that time they banned burqas? Oh wait, that wasn't America.
    And it actually HAPPENED, too - unlike this law, which, like many other junk propositions, will never see the light of day.

I'm all for discussing America's faults, and trying to impress upon them a sense of incredulity at their shortsightedness, but to suggest that America is the only country that does outrageous shit like this is just asinine. The fact that other countries routinely PASS legislation as outrageous as this - and America does it too, just not in this example - should be all the encouragement you need to remove your head from your ass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I was (and still am legally, I guess) a single parent. My girlfriend abandoned my son and I years ago. I have worked some of the shittiest jobs imaginable and put myself through hell for him, and it's done him well.

Am I a child abuser?
    Yes! How dare you not have a mother for your child! He's clearly suffering because he needs the female input to become a fully fledged and worthy member of society, shame on you!

/sarcasm off.

My mum raised all 3 of us (my sister, brother and I) alone. And we're all reasonable kids/adults now. Keep raising your child with good morals. So as long as you don't smear your girlfirend near him or directly to him. (I can't know, and not saying you are, dw) As my parents did that over eachother...that ain't fun. >_>

Who even dares come up with such stupid laws?
    Are these representatives you yourself probably chose, so detached from reality?

I would understand these completely moronic and idiotic laws passing in some sort of ultra-religious theocratic tyranny, never in a democratic country with separation of state and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I read things like this and can't comprehend the ignorance.

People in China used to kill their first born if it was a girl, yet America is still the ultimate evil. Give me a break.
    Saying the U.S. isn't the screwed up, and then using China as an example of "other countries doing other crazy shit", is akin to justifying blowing up women and children because Al Qaeda did it and saying it's justified.

Stupidity is objective, not subjective in terms of how many other people do it. When a country claims to be the moral and democratic model for the whole world, believe it or not, they're held to a higher standard.

Also, to address a later post, there's been tons of examples in the U.S. of trying to ban religious headwear, like turbans and burkas. I believe there was an attempt in NJ not so long ago, but I'm at work and can't really research first amendment cases of religious expression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Who even dares come up with such stupid laws?
    Are these representatives you yourself probably chose, so detached from reality?

I would understand these completely moronic and idiotic laws passing in some sort of ultra-religious theocratic tyranny, never in a democratic country with separation of state and religion.
    You act like we know everything that the person is going to propose before we elect them. Oh wait, that's right, we're too stupid to make intelligent decision, my bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gx240 View Post
    But basic logic has never been a strong point of Europeans.
    LMAO

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Saying the U.S. isn't the screwed up, and then using China as an example of "other countries doing other crazy shit", is akin to justifying blowing up women and children because Al Qaeda did it and saying it's justified.

Stupidity is objective, not subjective in terms of how many other people do it. When a country claims to be the moral and democratic model for the whole world, believe it or not, they're held to a higher standard.

Also, to address a later post, there's been tons of examples in the U.S. of trying to ban religious headwear, like turbans and burkas. I believe there was an attempt in NJ not so long ago, but I'm at work and can't really research first amendment cases of religious expression.
    How would keeping people from proposing such laws make us more Democratic? Being the "democratic moral for the whole world" means that even people with bat-shit crazy ideas have a voice. The fact still remains that 99 times out of 100, laws like this are never passed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post

Only if he wanted to. You can't force someone to fulfill a parental role, or else they'll probably do a half-assed job and mess you up even more. I've mostly heard that children are happier when their parents are seperated, than if their parents live together but fight all the time.