Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

So now it officially begins (Filesharing)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...ght-by-july-12

RIAA chief: ISPs to start policing copyright by July 12

Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon are among the ISPs preparing to implement a
    graduated response to piracy by July, says the music industry's chief lobbyist.

Total surveillance is just one Step away...

There will be a way around it, just like everything else that happens when you try and police the internet.

So glad I'm not in the US

LOL, good luck to them, they will just lose a shit ton of customers and beg for them to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    So glad I'm not in the US
    As far as the internet goes, if you are in Europe, most of Asia, the Americas or Oceania - then you are in the US.

Just look at how many people have been shut down, charged, extradited - for doing stuff completely outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    LOL, good luck to them, they will just lose a shit ton of customers and beg for them to come back.
    Except that your average internet user doesn't probably care/know and thus they just get off with as only the vocal minority disappears.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

People will just drop them and pick an ISP that doesn't invade their privacy. Oh wait... those ISP's have virtual monopolies in most regions.

I imagine someone will find some grounds to sue them for this.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    They won't though. Because the customers will be booting will be the same ones they keep trying to restrict will things like monthly download caps. They don't want customers who use 100% of the capacity they sell to them, breaks the system they have where capacity is shared to the extent that it's impossible for all customers to use the max at the same time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morfraen View Post
    I imagine someone will find some grounds to sue them for this.
    Well, i dunno really...
    Americans stopped SOPA/PIPA... but they did sign ACTA.

All you can do really is occupy the White House, and switch the ISP.

now is the perfect time to start up a new super improved internet company that doesn't support this.
    Its going to be a goldmine!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Onibuki View Post
    now is the perfect time to start up a new super improved internet company that doesn't support this.
    Just my thought...

OT; we'll always find new ways of sharing copyrighted material

My concern isn't the copyrighted material; it's the fact that they will have a program actively scanning the material we access while on the internet. The potential for abuse there is astoundingly scary. Add to this the fact they can run this program without the user's permission (unless, of course, they "force" us to agree, otherwise denying us access to the internet). I'm not comfortable with this at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    As far as the internet goes, if you are in Europe, most of Asia, the Americas or Oceania - then you are in the US.

Just look at how many people have been shut down, charged, extradited - for doing stuff completely outside the US.
    You can't be charged for a crime in the US if you're neither a US citizen nor in the US at the time the events transpired.

If I'm in Canada and I download a few dozen CDs of music off American servers, I commit no crime. Since downloading music for personal use is explicitly legal fair use in Canada, as confirmed by our Supreme Court.

Deleted
    Oh I'm happy I don't live in America. EU FTW. There won't be any "ACTA/SOPA" wannabees here. I feel sorry for you guys (those of you who are affected/will be affected by this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You can't be charged for a crime in the US if you're neither a US citizen nor in the US at the time the events transpired.
    Yes you can, it's called extradition.

This guy will tell you all about it.
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poxxy View Post

Holy SHIT.

Is that the first U.S. copyright infringement extradition ever done?

If so, that's much bigger news than the OP's article (which is also pretty big news).

10+ Year Old Account

From your own article;

"individuals can only be extradited if the offense is a crime in both countries and carries a prison sentence of at least one year."

As I said; downloading music off the Internet for personal use is not a crime in Canada. So no, I cannot possibly be extradited to another country for doing what is perfectly legal at home.

How to get around this?? Use an open DNS like Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    Random, mean level 15 deer appeared in Teldrassil to the shock and awe of low-level players. They have been replaced with level 1 fawn.

According to that article, the crime has to be recognized by both nations to incur an extradition.

The 2003 U.S.-U.K. Extradition Treaty "involves parity -- individuals can only be extradited if the offense is a crime in both countries and carries a prison sentence of at least one year." So in the UK's case, downloading or distributing copyrighted material is illegal, otherwise that man could not have been extradited. Assuming the extradition treaties between other nations (Canada, for example) and the US have that same clause, and assuming the other nation(s) in question does not have laws against downloading/distributing copyrighted material, no extradition should occur... in theory.

There were similar cases earlier that were found innocent, but somehow this guy didn't.

So did he really commit a crime or is this just that they want to make an example?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Onibuki View Post
    You know what else would be a goldmine?
    Build and open up a Jail.
    Apperently they want to lock away half the Earths Population....

btw...it seem they tried the same with German/European ISPs.
    They shut down the Idea pretty quickly though.