Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    “Some men just want to watch the world burn”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    If anyone here has watched any kind of Star Trek episode you'd know what I mean. So yea, will we ever be united as a species? Like all the countries on Earth finally under one banner and entering the space age? And if you believe so when and how long from now? If not, why? I've asked this question to a few people I know IRL and I've had mixed opinions.

In my opinion, I think it will eventually happen but not until we probably realize our mistakes as a whole (War, famine, crime, greed, pollution etc.) I think this will ultimately happen until a nuclear war breaks out between 2 superpower countries with millions or even billions of casualties.

So what do you think?
    If flying saucers arrived ala War of the Worlds or Independence Day to destroy us with impunity, some people would even aid the extraterrestrial invaders.

Humankind wouldn't be united towards a common goal even if there was only one person remaining.

Deleted
    Humans work pretty easy:

Give us a common enemy and we will be bff's, well until we either lose or win, from there on same old same old!

I suppose it is possible. But a better question would be, would it be worth it?

But let's be honest, the last person to work toward it was Hitler, but it seems he ended up not well liked.

Technically we're united in the common goal of reproduction.

As for a "New World Order", it would take a very real threat to our entire planet from some outside source to truly unite us as a species.

Competition is just in our nature. We can't simply unite for some innovation; we need something to unite against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mankind will not unite until this man is born(or found):

Now all we need are some Neolithic Shamans to sacrifice themselves and reincarnate into a single entity, and we will have us a Unified humanity in no time
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-03-17 at 06:21 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

To save their internets. It happened earlier this year, it'll happen again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only when we've got something to hate more than ourselves.

Deleted
    All mankind? No

But for a big majority it is inevitable. Even today, over half the world shares a uniform culture. I mean even if you compare USA, France and Australia, it is pretty much the same there. There are things from the past and cultural legacy but you don't see any country having unique building styles, unique clothing styles, foods etc. any more.

The legacy thing is more for tourists and people don't live it any more. In 100-200 years, I'm sure most countries will form a large union, open borders and later merge into united states of Earth. It wouldn't involve all the countries of course but most of them.

It's good to have separate cultures. How dull and boring would it be if there was no diversity and flavor?
    However if something like WWII arises, where nations unite against a common evil, I bet we could pull it off again

Deleted
    IF aliens come with war in their mind. Then I'd say we have a same object. MAYBE, lol. We suck so much still in so many ways to do so. Too selfish.

Or something like this could give a small "bumb" to think more collective as a race?

youtube.com/watch?v=MXfM5NAbsaQ

Deleted
    of course, we´re united to fight terrorism with terrorism and the terrorists do the same

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Mankind will not unite until this man is born(or found):
    the-god-emperor-of-man.jpg
    Now all we need are some Neolithic Shamans to sacrifice themselves and reincarnate into a single entity, and we will have us a Unified humanity in no time
    ^ this one indeed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rafein View Post
    I suppose it is possible. But a better question would be, would it be worth it?
    But let's be honest, the last person to work toward it was Hitler, but it seems he ended up not well liked.
    There are over 7 billion unique people on earth. All of these people have unique individual goals with unique priorities.
    Why would it even be beneficial to have "one common goal" for everyone to unite for?

In a society with proper rule of law and individual freedom, people can pursue their own selfish goals while still serving others, helping them also reach their own selfish goals.

I would say much of mankind is already working together, but not to fill any one single goal, but to fill all the billions of goals that people today have.