Poll: Should Guns be outlawed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Gun Control

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ...
    Collecting something (ex: stamps, guns, cars) does not make "collecting" the intended use. I've never heard an AK referred to as a "sport shooting" gun before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    Do you hold that the majority of guns in private hands were designed, marketed, and sold for "sport" use?
    Who cares what they are designed and marketed for. My home defense shotgun is intended and marketed for home defense...which is exactly what its 'used' for (although I could switch out the barrel and insert a magazine plug and have it be perfectly viable for hunting both large and small game). If it was awesome at killing chickens but failed at stopping a human being its ownership in a home defense capacity would be pointless.

Did people flock to gun stores after Obama was elected because they were concerned that they would no longer be able to engage in sport shooting?
    Considering that gun sales are at an all time high over the last few years in the US then I would say, yes, they did flock to gun stores after he was elected. There are also many more first time buyers over the last few years.
    Last edited by GW2lacky; 2012-03-20 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Collecting something (ex: stamps, guns, cars) does not make "collecting" the intended use. I've never heard an AK referred to as a "sport shooting" gun before.
    An AR is hella fun for sport shooting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

1.) The AK is not a "sport" gun. How so?

2.) Collecting something (ex: stamps, guns, cars) does not make "collecting" the intended use.
    There are about a dozen different AK variants in the US right now. The collectors market is actually a large part of what drives demand for all of those different variants.

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    An AR is hella fun for sport shooting...
    Very true.

I have a plain jane A2 with an 18 inch barrel. I would love to get a DPMS 308 and make it into a DMR type rifle. Also thinking about getting a doublediamond lower for a pistol caliber carbine.

... I need more money for this.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2012-03-20 at 09:15 PM.

AK-47's can be used for hunting as well as an AR-15. They are just not as optimal as hunting rifle options. ^^

Im finding this interesting,

You point out making guns illegal, would only harm responsible people who don't use them for what ever malicious reason, that I agree with,
    But if you make it legal, your making it easier for every tom dick and harry to get one, thus causing a bigger problem than making them illegal, just because their illegal to have now without a licensee doesn't mean people aren't buying them on the street,

all your idea would be doing, is making our streets a lot more dangerous
    Whenever you create a law, you have stipulations within in it that exclude certain conditions. In the case of guns being legal, here in the US, it is legal to own firearms, so we aren't debating illegal vs legal. Accompanying our laws on the ownership of firearm, are rules and regulations that prevent just any Joe Blow from getting one. You don't just walk down to the nearest Walmart and walk out with a gun. With every gun sale, there is a mountain of paperwork that has to be filled out, and you have to pass several back ground checks.

You have to prove your identity, and the person selling the firearm has to report it to the FBI so they can contribute to the back ground check. There's a list of about 20 different questions, if you answer No to any one of them, you are not eligible to purchase a gun. Many of you seem to be under the impression that guns being legal equates to people being able to just go buy them like a pair of shoes.

No, that is not the case. Even if you pass your background checks and everything, you are still waiting like 3 weeks to receive your firearm after you buy it. On top of that, in order to carry it you have to fill out another mountain of paperwork and pass even more background checks, just to get your weapons permit. I'm pretty sure you have to pass a class as well.

This is why it's silly for you anti gun people to be suggesting that guns being 'legal' makes them too easy to get. Here in the US, it's easier to get a gun illegally, than it is to get one legally.

At this point in time, there is no possible way to disarm the world of guns. There are hundreds of millions of guns out there, and criminals who want them, will get them, regardless of if they are legal or illegal to have. If every single gun shop and retailer stopped selling guns, it would not stop criminals from getting a gun. It would not affect the number of guns out there on the streets.

All it would do, is remove a citizen's ability to protect themselves. The number of people legally owning and intelligently or responsibly carrying firearms has zero impact on the number of illegal firearms present on the streets. That's something that you anti gun people need to try really hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Whenever you create a law, you have stipulations within in it that exclude certain conditions. In the case of guns being legal, here in the US, it is legal to own firearms, so we aren't debating illegal vs legal. Accompanying our laws on the ownership of firearm, are rules and regulations that prevent just any Joe Blow from getting one. You don't just walk down to the nearest Walmart and walk out with a gun. With every gun sale, there is a mountain of paperwork that has to be filled out, and you have to pass several back ground checks.

You have to prove your identity, and the person selling the firearm has to report it to the FBI so they can contribute to the back ground check. There's a list of about 20 different questions, if you answer No to any one of them, you are not eligible to purchase a gun. Many of you seem to be under the impression that guns being legal equates to people being able to just go buy them like a pair of shoes.

No, that is not the case. Even if you pass your background checks and everything, you are still waiting like 3 weeks to receive your firearm after you buy it. On top of that, in order to carry it you have to fill out another mountain of paperwork and pass even more background checks, just to get your weapons permit. I'm pretty sure you have to pass a class as well.

This is why it's silly for you anti gun people to be suggesting that guns being 'legal' makes them too easy to get. Here in the US, it's easier to get a gun illegally, than it is to get one legally.

At this point in time, there is no possible way to disarm the world of guns. There are hundreds of millions of guns out there, and criminals who want them, will get them, regardless of if they are legal or illegal to have. If every single gun shop and retailer stopped selling guns, it would not stop criminals from getting a gun. It would not affect the number of guns out there on the streets.

All it would do, is remove a citizen's ability to protect themselves. The number of people legally owning and intelligently or responsibly carrying firearms has zero impact on the number of illegal firearms present on the streets. That's something that you anti gun people need to try really hard to understand.
    That's not always true. In my state you can buy a normal rifle, handgun, or shotgun and walk out with it right after passing the background check and paying for the item. We have not had waiting periods since 2007.
    That's also not always true. In my state some counties have open carry with no permit.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2012-03-21 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smeegoan2later View Post
    The bad guys have guns. They don't care about a permit or that they are illegal.

The good guys need guns too. Good guy in my case being a father and husband, who actively shoots recreationally with my family.

I'm pretty confident that I won't become a statistic such as the Connecticut family killed raped murdered /burned alive in their home. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290542,00.html

Or the 50 somethings in Minneapolis who were robbed, the husband was forced to go to the ATM while his 53 year old wife was raped. http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/0...asion-robbery/

Not to mention the thousands of rapes and robberys that occur around the country, on college campus's and in stairwells and parkinglots.

I conceal carry and so does my wife. I refuse to become a statistic for the filth of society. I"d rather make them "good".

It's also a right guaranteed to me under the United States Constitution.
    This, 100%. Most responsible gun owners are too busy trying to enjoy life to be bothered by becoming another statistic.