Get knocked up to avoid breast cancer...the sooner the better or the risk is greater

me again with another funny and weird law(bill? i dont know what bills are since iam not from the US and i dont know what is the exact translation in my language)
    well here it is...a bill just passed,that makes every doctor who is going to perform an abortion to say that,abortion can cause breast cancer and pregnancy can reduce the chances
    The exact words of the bill on tha matter is the following

"It is scientifically undisputed that full-term pregnancy reduces a woman’s lifetime risk of breast cancer. It is also undisputed that the earlier a woman has a first full-term pregnancy, the lower her risk of breast cancer becomes, because following a full-term pregnancy the breast tissue exposed to estrogen through the menstrual cycle is more mature and cancer resistant.
    In fact, for each year that a woman’s first full-term pregnancy is delayed, her risk of breast cancer rises 3.5 percent. The theory that there is a direct link between abortion and breast cancer builds upon this undisputed foundation."

So,i dont understand...well you guys teach at schools that the only way to avoid pregnancies(that is in utah a law from republicans passed for that there. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1326777.html) is to be abstinent and tell them that the best way to avoid cancer is to knocked up as soon as they can or else the chance for breast cancer keep rises afterwards per year.
    Now dont Rep. Jeanine Notter (R-Merrimack) which by the way is a woman...knows that the time you can actually start having children is the day you get your first PMS around the ages 11-13(i think)and by telling you that you must not have sex before marriage or at least not before you are 18 will actually give you a 3.5% each year to have cancer is just irational or am i too stupid to understand it?

well 2 links to the news

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...cer/?mobile=nc
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1345771.html

1 link to the bill

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...12/HB1659.html

and for the people that arent Tea party followers and like numbers some actuall numbers about breast cancer :P

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...-breast-cancer

I posted this one because on my previous post some people said that most of the laws that resemble the one i posted there dont even pass the house...well here is one more for you guys that actually passed and its quite extreme and stupid!

While I won't even remotely try to defend some of our brutally stupid policies (abstinence-only education is incredibly dim), it shouldn't be terribly surprising that a country with states that differ so wildly is going to have rules in different states that seem contradictory, as well as laws that seem flatly in contradiction to reality. Remember (or check if you don't know!), Utah is largely governed by Mormons, and that alone results in an enormous skewing of policy.

By the way (assuming you're not from the US), not only is your English pretty solid for someone not using it as a first language, you should be commended for learning another country's policies!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how scientific knowledge is based on statistical correlation, and in fact supersedes science itself. They give 0 scientific background, and in fact the article points out massive health organizations that reject the concept.

As for the law passed in Utah.. having a large Mormon community kind of makes them outliers.

Well, the bill in itself doesn't actually force anything, just requires information.... so while abysmally shortsighted and ignorant it isn't that effective

Well i like politics and since something that is happening in the US will efect the world i try to have a view on Politics over there,i think ill keep posting things from around the glove since i dont want to just post things from the US because it will make me look way to much ANTI-USA and i dont like that,since iam not :P
    (also its way to damn easy to know about the US since you guys are the most powerfull in the planet its quite easy to find news about your country)

Assuming that's true I suppose that information shouldn't be kept from people.

It is an odd contradiction, isn't it? For instance going outside is good for you, you get vitamin D, sunlight can also cause skin cancer, stay indoors!

Certainly they should never force doctors to say "you should get pregnant at an early age to avoid breast cancer", because that's just silly. I can tell that's what you're getting at, and I'm not sure what would be the best approach in light of this evidence either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I like how scientific knowledge is based on statistical correlation, and in fact supersedes science itself. They give 0 scientific background, and in fact the article points out massive health organizations that reject the concept.

As for the law passed in Utah.. having a large Mormon community kind of makes them outliers.

Well, the bill in itself doesn't actually force anything, just requires information.... so while abysmally shortsighted and ignorant it isn't that effective
    well just imagine the women that are not so much educated about those things and the consequences will have one them.I hope educated women wont fall for things like that BUT not every person is educated enought especially in places where extremist have the upper hand(i will not called them christians because they clearly arent)

Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    Well i like politics and since something that is happening in the US will efect the world i try to have a view on Politics over there,i think ill keep posting things from around the glove since i dont want to just post things from the US because it will make me look way to much ANTI-USA and i dont like that,since iam not :P
    (also its way to damn easy to know about the US since you guys are the most powerfull in the planet its quite easy to find news about your country)
    No worries! I'm from here, love it here, and expressing my sentiments on some of our news stories makes me look anti-US too. The unbearable stupidity that our politicians have at times is staggering. You can think our politicians are idiots without being anti-US :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No worries! I'm from here, love it here, and expressing my sentiments on some of our news stories makes me look anti-US too. The unbearable stupidity that our politicians have at times is staggering. You can think our politicians are idiots without being anti-US :-)
    No one said you had to love your government to love your country! And if they did, smack them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Its Utah and without fulling going into religion bashing most of America avoids utah like the plague. The main religion their is actually classified as a cult.

I cant really say much more without starting a flame war.

I didn't read the article but it sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I dont believe in abortion but I fail to see how it would increase your risk of breast cancer. I also fail to see how having a baby would increase your protection. Regardless, the risks and preventative measures for various cancers seem to change all the time. I seem to remember a coworker bringing in a news article once about how swallowing seamen helped prevent some form of cancer so obviously people can twist these things to fit their needs.

Kids should not be having kids imo, bottom line. And frankly if waiting till you are a mature adult to give birth increased your risk of cancer that drastically, you would see a much higher rate than we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    I didn't read the article but it sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I dont believe in abortion but I fail to see how it would increase your risk of breast cancer. I also fail to see how having a baby would increase your protection. Regardless, the risks and preventative measures for various cancers seem to change all the time. I seem to remember a coworker bringing in a news article once about how swallowing seamen helped prevent some form of cancer so obviously people can twist these things to fit their needs.

Kids should not be having kids imo, bottom line. And frankly if waiting till you are a mature adult to give birth increased your risk of cancer that drastically, you would see a much higher rate than we currently have.
    and thats the problem with this BILL,it is suported by a woman and is based on smoke.The articles talks about some organizations denying what that represnative claims.The problems with these king of things is that a big part of the populations is always mis-informed so there is a danged that they will follow the rulese,exactly like that semen thing you mentioned which by the way was a practical joke some hacker-kid in the USA did on the CNN site if i remember corectly(after all it was a few years back)

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The whole abortion / breast cancer correlation has been debunked about over 9000 times.

This is just another scare tactic for the stupid religious right wingers.

Next it will be "getting an abortion destabilizes the space/time continuum" or "thinking about an abortion increases the chance of spontaneous combustion".