Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GetWithIT View Post
    I kinda want to compare it to a Battlefield type progression system.

Select loadout (profession). Grind up the various guns for all of their attachments (skills). Select the earnable camo/color load outs. Gain massive amounts of skill with drop shotting (lol Operation Firestorm). Then make my avatar look like a BAMF. Once I'm done with recon, move on to assault.

That a good way to look at it? If so, I'm so darn excited I can barely contain it.
    That's just about right. Stats on gear can only be so good. Even while leveling you hit a power plateau at level 30 where each level after no longer adds as much power to your character. You end up focusing more on improving your own skills and playstyle, while improving how good your character looks also.

The amount of customization for gear is pretty huge too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GetWithIT View Post
    I kinda want to compare it to a Battlefield type progression system.

Select loadout (profession). Grind up the various guns for all of their attachments (skills). Select the earnable camo/color load outs. Gain massive amounts of skill with drop shotting (lol Operation Firestorm). Then make my avatar look like a BAMF. Once I'm done with recon, move on to assault.

That a good way to look at it? If so, I'm so darn excited I can barely contain it.
    That's a decent comparison, but it's a lot more in-depth and strategical than that, because of the massive amount of customization you get with traits.

In another thread on this forum I compared it to Magic: the gathering, which I still think is the best thing to compare it to.

Overall, everyone will start with equal chances, and the only thing to give you the upper hand is your build, and your player skill
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    [GW2 "Endgame"

* Explorable dungeons.
    * Storymode dungeons.
    * Level 80 open world content.
    * Level 30-79 open world content.
    * Collecting skill/achievment points and getting downscaled so you don't fall to sleep of boredom.
    * Structured PvP.
    * Random PvP (both WvWvW and instanced).
    * Falling to sleep of boredom while facerolling the easier level 1-29 content. (because really, downscaling only goes so far when you have traits, elite skills and player experience)

WoW "Endgame" (assuming you are decently geared):

* Latest raid (you outgear everything else)
    * Structured PvP (you outgear random PvP)
    * Falling to sleep of boredom while grinding achievements or gold or reputation or whatever.

I don't know about you. But from my perspective, GW2 looks to have significantly more "endgame" than WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Ugh I hate how wow has become the industry standard. People need to learn to think outside the box a bit.

Really, ask any wow player why they think rift, swtor etc are failures (not saying they actually are but..) and they will all tell you it's because they're wow clones. And yet when a game comes out that dares to challenge the same old tiresome formula they complain that it doesn't have wows raids. Wtf do you people want?
    Im wow player and I dont rly care or bash other games I dont play. I want try GW2 because of promise of interacting with world via Dynamic Events possible differnt outcomes.
    In this threat I just wanted to get more info how story / goal wise game will look like. If I mention/compare/give WoW as example its because I play that game and know it. At end goal for me is to try/play something differnt, so Im trying to get info to know what to except

Ugh I hate how wow has become the industry standard. People need to learn to think outside the box a bit.

Really, ask any wow player why they think rift, swtor etc are failures (not saying they actually are but..) and they will all tell you it's because they're wow clones. And yet when a game comes out that dares to challenge the same old tiresome formula they complain that it doesn't have wows raids. Wtf do you people want?
    To be fair, I don't think it's the same people. But the WOW-complainers have become so loud and obnoxious the rest of us have gotten lazy and have just lumped them all into one big steaming pile of ... complainers.

There's whole divisions of complainers, and subdivisions, and sub-subdivisions of WOW-complainers. They'd probably get offended if they found out that you're lumping them all together into one group. But it's very easy to see them as a schizophrenic clusterfuck .... a population who've clearly lost their sense of reason and can't even agree on what to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The point was that you can obviously play games without a gear grind, why is it suddenly an issue if said game has the "MMO" tag slapped on it.
    If you can do things for fun in other games, why can you not in an MMO, and NEED to be rewarded?

Could have found a different way to point this fact out, but I think that's the point he was trying to make.
    ^-- What this guy said. It doesn't matter what genre it is, if you can have fun in one game that doesn't have "progression", why wouldn't you have it in GW2? GW2 is also trying to be an esport, by the way, so the PvP will be very competitive. Tournaments in game too.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    [GW2 "Endgame"

* Explorable dungeons.
    * Storymode dungeons.
    * Level 80 open world content.
    * Level 30-79 open world content.
    * Collecting skill/achievment points and getting downscaled so you don't fall to sleep of boredom.
    * Structured PvP.
    * Random PvP (both WvWvW and instanced).
    * Falling to sleep of boredom while facerolling the easier level 1-29 content. (because really, downscaling only goes so far when you have traits, elite skills and player experience)

WoW "Endgame" (assuming you are decently geared):

* Latest raid (you outgear everything else)
    * Structured PvP (you outgear random PvP)
    * Falling to sleep of boredom while grinding achievements or gold or reputation or whatever.

I don't know about you. But from my perspective, GW2 looks to have significantly more "endgame" than WoW.
    Why do I get the feeling you hate world of warcraft ? And your post was completely one sided and opinionated against WoW :S

i dont need raids from GW2, but in that case i think they should/could simply not do ANY 5man content, and do much more max level open world dynamic events.

i can't wait to do those big dragons, and all other 'quest boss events'. i can't wait to do wvwvw events too. but if there is the exception from everything in form of 5mans, then it feels wrong without raids.

i will play GW2, i simply wonder what will keep me in game after i finish all content once. i never felt sense of achievement without stronger gear for me or my guildies. new looks doesnt make it once you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcinder View Post
    Why do I get the feeling you hate world of warcraft ? And your post was completely one sided and opinionated against WoW :S
    Yeah, there are those that are overly pro-wow and those that are overly anti-wow.
    It happens, we move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    new looks doesnt make it once you look good.
    Oh but it certainly does, ask my GW1 monk who has about 20 different shields, 5 different armor sets, an a googolplex different weapons
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Yeah, there are those that are overly pro-wow and those that are overly anti-wow.
    It happens, we move on.
    Its better if you peg a game against the BEST of whats in one and the BEST of whats in another. Not just list 10 things that's awesome about one and 3 of another. Basically what he has just done.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcinder View Post
    Its better if you peg a game against the BEST of whats in one and the BEST of whats in another. Not just list 10 things that's awesome about one and 3 of another. Basically what he has just done.
    .. I was agreeing with you, but saying that it's better to ignore it and move on instead of continuing the discussion of it.
    Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    i will play GW2, i simply wonder what will keep me in game after i finish all content once. i never felt sense of achievement without stronger gear for me or my guildies. new looks doesnt make it once you look good.
    That's the point. It has no sub fee. You can get bored of it without feeling that you're losing anything. You get to pay for expansions you feel is worthy of x money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Except for dungeons, all of GW2s content is out in the world, and no matter what level you are it's relevant since you get scaled down. There's a wide variety of dynamic events throughout all levels, you aren't forced to do the same exact thing and the same exact encounters for months at a time. You get to choose the content you want to do, whenever you want to do it.

So many people complain about Blizz not bringing the world back into world of warcraft...well...someone else is doing it instead, and on a more evolved and in-depth level.
    For me interesting is not scale down thing (actualy Im quite neutral on that) but replay value of going to same places in world.
    Take as example any MMO with static quests, once you done them all in area there is not much more to do as you cant do same quests again on same character, and even if you could, it would be exactly the same thing.
    Dynamic events give possible replay value to world, at thats how it look for me. You can go back to area and after DE reseted try do things differnt and see how it turn out. At last I hope that's how it work. Unless its the same like with static quests, that when you completed DE you can do it again later, if thats the case then well bummer.

I'm sorry to burst bubbles, but my experience with mmo's coming out is they're always overhyped. Sure you can say all these cool things about GW2 but lets see what actually happens. Not to be a rip, but since SWToR's "failure" everyone's now on the GW2 Train. I predict for most of the playerbase it's just going to be another "failure".

The point was that you can obviously play games without a gear grind, why is it suddenly an issue if said game has the "MMO" tag slapped on it.
    If you can do things for fun in other games, why can you not in an MMO, and NEED to be rewarded?

Could have found a different way to point this fact out, but I think that's the point he was trying to make.
    The main difference between MMO and normal game is that in MMO you have one world in which thousands of people play. If game is supposed to be limited to "run a dungeon with 5 other people" or "do quests alone" or "jump in once in a while to play for fun" then there's no sense to make into an MMO. Such game can function as single player as well, with multiplayer feature. That's how SC and diablo worked.

But if you decide to make an MMO after all, with whole world and characters stored on a server then it means you want something more. You want characters to have impact on the world. You want players interacting and competing. And you want those characters to keep logging and playing (and paying). And what else can keep people doing that if not sense of progress? Even most fun game can get boring quickly if all you play it for is "fun", as in fun thaat is not a result from progressing.

GW2 is weird game, because it doesn't have subscription (at least GW1 didn't have, I just assume GW2 won't have as well). So the creators might not want people to keep playing that much. Which might explain why they want to remove grinding and farming. But to me it's still an arcade game which pretends to be RPG

But still, there are things to farm / grind for. Those cosmetic stuff, etc. Aquiring them may be progress for some people. Not for me though.

So, to sum up. I can do fun things in MMO, but don't expect me to play for longer than a month. And usually that's not what MMO creators want.
    All the games which kept me attached for longer, offered me some kind of progression feeling - simcity 4, transport tycoon, WoW, Anno 1404, diablo.
    And mentioned SC2? Sure, i return to it sometimes. But if I was supposed to pay 5$ per month then I would never return - "Hmm maybe I will play some CS2 today? Bleh, no, I would have to pay 5$ just to play this one evening"
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    I'm sorry to burst bubbles, but my experience with mmo's coming out is they're always overhyped. Sure you can say all these cool things about GW2 but lets see what actually happens. Not to be a rip, but since SWToR's "failure" everyone's now on the GW2 Train. I predict for most of the playerbase it's just going to be another "failure".
    Pretty much mate I spent most of my last secondary school and college years playing GW, got obsidian armor on 4 classes 100's of elite skills etc. I REALLY REALLY hope this one doesn't flop and people get disappointed from the over hype.

"All MMOs in the future will be overhyped junk because SWTOR was" is not the best of arguments, my friend.
    I was not hyped for SWTOR in any way shape or form and when it released did not enjoy it and was too distracted by the flaws.
    Hype doesn't kill games, games being released while they are still sub-par kills games.

There's a big difference between the 2 types of games though. To me games like SWTOR and Rift were just the same game, but with a small twist (rift adding rifts and swtor adding cinematic story telling). Neither of them changed the game or the genre very much. GW2 is doing everything different. For the people that are interested in this game and have been following it and the things the developers are doing, it'll be a huge success. It's a different game offering a different playstyle, so if you aren't interested in it I can understand, but if you think it's a failure, well that won't really matter because the rest of us will be in game enjoying ourselves.