Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I'm going bald :(

So I'm 23 years old and my hair is starting to recede very quickly. If I pull back my bangs I can clearly make out the round off to the top of my head.

I was praying that I wouldn't be on the recieving end of MPB. My dad was bald by the time he was 17. When I was 20 I still had a full very thick head of hair...every time I got my hair cut they would make comments about how thick my hair was.

However, it looks like I'm not dodging the bullet. My question is....what do I do? Its to late to really take medication to stop the hair loss...the damage is pretty clear to see already, and I wouldn't be interested in taking medication non stop just to keep what hair I have. I've been trying to look for good hair styles for balding men but there is not really a whole lot. I've considered doing the completely shaven head like my brother does, but I'm not sure it would look right on me (I'm a smaller guy, 5'10 140 pounds), plus I've always had longer hair so it would be such a huge change in a short span of time.

I know you guys can't really say much with out pictures, but what do you think? Experiences, ect are all welcome.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't do anything at all unfortunately. If it's going to happen it's going to happen.

Rest assured that a lot of women like the bald look very much and it's really not a huge deal.

Deleted
    You can buy this 'Regaine' foam stuff that's meant to prevent hair loss. You could also try Alpecin shampoo, that's supposed to prevent hair loss. It probably won't make much of a difference, but you could always give it a go. >.<

Deleted
    The best advice I can give is not to hide it. Baldness is very common and most people will not care, but if you try to hide it with comb overs or hairpieces people will mock you to death.

Deleted
    Don't worry man, I'm 20 and my hair was going really thin when I was 17 I also had really long hair, so I just cut it shorter untill it was really noticeable then I shaved my hair really short. It's just hair, look at Jason Statham for example he looks like a bad ass:

Anyway if you are that bothered of what people think, cut it short then go for the bad-ass Jason Statham look.

P.S - If it is hereditary regain shampoo will most likely do nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You aren't going bald... It's all on your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the club kiddo

Sucks getting older, but don't let it keep you down

As I understand it, balding is considered a sign of virility and if you rock it the right way, it can look very distinguished
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    1-2mm shave is the best cure for baldness. It's hardwork to be completely bald as you have to shave your head atleast once a week and make sure your skin doesn't dry up etc. Half moon is not sexy so you'll have to do something about it :P

take medication to stop the hair loss
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!!!
    Anyone telling you they can "cure" baldness is a damn lier and is only doing so to scam you, and take your money. Its Genetics!
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Lol, going bald in and of itself doesn't actually bother me, I'm just looking for hairstyles since a completely shaven head may not look right on me. I may try something like the Caesar style. I'll have to talk to the barber about it soon and see what they have to offer.

Embrace nature, or hazard looking like Donald Trump, with a wig!

It happens to most men, to some sooner than later.

Deleted
    There is a thing called Propecia, or simply Finasteride. Google that. It helps. If you feel that Propecia is too expensive then you can buy a generic version online from India (from some of the respected online pharmacies that actually do supply what they are supposed to).

Also get to hairlosshelp.com forums and read around a bit, you can find advices on everything there. I educated on the matter myself about 2 years ago when I thought I was losing hair but it just turned out to be my hair changing to mature hairline.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2012-03-16 at 06:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As others stated - if you got an issue with it cut it off (doesn´t apply to every issue obviously). But only thing I can think of that would make it longer would be living healthier - know at least my similar issue could most likely be avoided if I had done things differently in that area .
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    So I'm 23 years old and my hair is starting to recede very quickly. If I pull back my bangs I can clearly make out the round off to the top of my head.

I was praying that I wouldn't be on the recieving end of MPB. My dad was bald by the time he was 17. When I was 20 I still had a full very thick head of hair...every time I got my hair cut they would make comments about how thick my hair was.

However, it looks like I'm not dodging the bullet. My question is....what do I do? Its to late to really take medication to stop the hair loss...the damage is pretty clear to see already, and I wouldn't be interested in taking medication non stop just to keep what hair I have. I've been trying to look for good hair styles for balding men but there is not really a whole lot. I've considered doing the completely shaven head like my brother does, but I'm not sure it would look right on me (I'm a smaller guy, 5'10 140 pounds), plus I've always had longer hair so it would be such a huge change in a short span of time.

I know you guys can't really say much with out pictures, but what do you think? Experiences, ect are all welcome.
    I am as well. There isn't much you can really do. There is medicine like Propecia ( or Finastride which i am using) which actually has a pretty high success rate, but it can take up to a year to even start kicking in and even then it only slows down the hair loss. Growing new hair is a rarity. It's not like on The Simpsons when Homer takes Minoxidil and he has a full set of new hair. lol. All you can do is talk to your doctor, but there isn't much you can do man. It's a part of life.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliq View Post
    Don't worry man, I'm 20 and my hair was going really thin when I was 17 I also had really long hair, so I just cut it shorter untill it was really noticeable then I shaved my hair really short. It's just hair, look at Jason Statham for example he looks like a bad ass:

Anyway if you are that bothered of what people think, cut it short then go for the bad-ass Jason Statham look.
    This look is very hot.

Deleted
    Shave it off, it will be horrible the first days but it will grow on you.

It's better to get comfortable with it than denying the inevitable truth.

whats so bad whit loosing your hair? its natural. its lame and you will get teased about it if you try to hide it O.o
    embrace it, shave your head, save a beard or something

i was in the same shoes as you, my dad is bald like a monk xD but my moms dad had nothing of that sort, so i kinda got both, i drooped some in the front but then it stoped. does even look good atm whit how i have my hair

WORST thing you can do, ever... is trying to hide it -.- youl end up whit a combover. SO ugly
    <snip> Mod edit: Play nice. Also, no need for size 5.
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-03-16 at 06:38 PM.
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius

Deleted

This is the only cure for receeding hair, anything else is just a scam
    I dont have receeding hair infact quite the opposite, yet I find (and so do a lot of people) that having a shaved head very very comftable, may take a couple of days for you and others around you to get used to it, but its well worth it.

I feel your pain, bro...Mohawks hide it pretty well (assuming its starting on sides in the front, and not directly in the middle)...I hid it that way for a couple years, now that I'm 28 the middle is going too, so now I just keep it shaved.

p.s. I LOVE having my head shaved, now...saves so much time

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Nothing you can do about it mate. Welcome to the club.
    The best thing to do is keep your hair short. Short haircuts makes it less obvious.