Deleted

[Shadow] OOM after 2 minutes, SF 2 minutes left, DA 1 minute left

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lebel/advanced. I might be in disc spec, but i use the same gear. I've done this on a dummy, though I doubt that the minor mana gain from buffs could help.

basically, what I do, is open up with VT, SWP and DP in that order, then cast MF till I get an orb and 5 DE, then cast DA, MB, recast all 3 DoTs so that they benefit from DA and ES. then my priority goes VT>DP>MB(1+orb)>MF. when I reach 35% mana, i cast SF for the mana return.

what happens is that around the 1:40 mark, i can barely scrape by till DA is back available, I cast it, and around the 2:00 mark, i'm oom again. I got no choice but to cast dispersion, which brings back 1/3 of my mana, which means I can at max get 40 seconds extra. at this stage, DA still has over 30 seconds, SF has around 2 minutes, and dispersion is only just used. the only thing I could consider is using dispersion around the 0:30 mark, so it's up again around the 2 minute mark (using the glyph). or am I missing something else?

I don't play a priest or anything, but wouldn't the talent Masochism solve this?
    You've specced into it, so all it takes is one SW: Death for 10% mana?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello there. I don't really think dummy is a good way to check this since on dummy's after a while I usually go oom to. Test how you do in LFR and dungeons and remember that Shadow word: Death give you back 10% mana if you take damage from it, If you feel that you'r getting oom and need mana use DW a few times.

So use Shadow Word: Death glyph instead of dispersion.
    Better to test on Bosses in instances since Dummy's suck's <--

And remember that when you recast dots you never have to recast SW:P since it refreshes from Mind Flay ^^

Deleted
    More gear solves most of these issues and if you do 5mans the boss will often get in to execute range where you can double sw: d and they die fast. So at your gear level and the fights you will be doing (as Josefina said dummy sucks) there really is no issues.

You're gear has a lot to do with the passive regen you are getting. Just make sure you are using dispersion with less than 30% mana. I would always use SF first though and SW away. It might be a little dps loss without the T13 2 set but less dps > no dps due to no mana.

Dark Archangel eats your evangelism stacks and does not itself increase DOT damage. You're wasting mana and DPS by recasting your dots immediately after your first mind blast. You want to get as many Mind Blasts and Mind Flay ticks in with Dark Archangel up as you can.

You also don't want to delay shadowfiend until 35% mana. Its mana regen and DPS are too important to wait that long, the sooner you use it the more times you get to use it in a fight. Generally you want to use it the first time around 70% mana.

If you're still having mana problems, it's better to just use SW: D occasionally instead of having to resort to Dispersion. 1 GCD that still does some damage and returns mana is better than 6 seconds of no damage at all.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of your mana problems are from recasting your dots too often, though. Don't recast them until right before they're about to fall off unless you have like...multiple high value int or haste procs running at the same time.

*edit for retarded auto-smileys*
    Last edited by nouseforamonkey; 2012-03-16 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    You're gear has a lot to do with the passive regen you are getting. Just make sure you are using dispersion with less than 30% mana. I would always use SF first though and SW away. It might be a little dps loss without the T13 2 set but less dps > no dps due to no mana.
    Dispersion is a DPS losss and thus someting we obviously want to avoid using.

You usually have a window of opportunity to use Dispersion on boss fights.

While you have to move i suggest using SW:D, aside from Plague, its the only mobile direct damaging tool.
    Enough fights have these moments. While moving behind a pillar our out of fire, killing adds (blobs, tentacles, etc.)
    Eventhough its not high damage (above 20%), the mana return in addition to doing any damage at all opposed to none makes it far better while moving.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Shadowfiend + Archangel is all you need basically, dispersion is kinda plan B, but it's good if shit happens.

But your gear is kinda bad, T12 2set helps a bit if you ever get there, i doubt since T13 is easier to obtain.

EDIT: Ofc, shadow word:death is must, use that if mana is critical but on dummy? meh... and dummy is stupid place to check if you can manage to keep mana up.

With that gear, it makes sense you have mana issues on a dummy. Blessing of Wisdom (or Mana Spring) will do a lot to satiate your mana issues, the biggest cause of it as far as I can see is your total Int. You are getting mediocre mana returns from your abilities b/c of it. Get better trinkets, and be aware in the meantime that Kings/Motw and BoW/MS will be a big help in the meantime. Flask and food on top of that makes it*MUCH* smoother.

And as mentioned, weaving in a bit of SW Death here and there to make you last until the next Fiend is up is perfectly fine at your ilvl.

Run the ilvl 378 DS heroics, and get oodles of upgrades. It's a very easy fix.

1) Shadowfiend should be used as a dps cd.
    2) never wait with mana regen cds until you are that low on mana. If you get 30% mana from a cd you want to use it as soon as possible as you get to 70% mana or when you will get below 70% during the cd. This way you can (probably) use the cd multiple times per fight. As shadow you can reduce the cd on shadowfiend with Mind Flay crits, so it makes sense to use it as soon as possible.
    3) use SWD on cd once you start getting low on mana (~30%). You might not even need this on fights with lots of aoe, since that will already activate Masochism.

Deleted
    Dude, DoTs do not benefit from DA, what you can do is cast VT, DP, SW:P, spam MF until you get an orb up, MB, recast dots. Ideally, you should not refresh your dots when DA is up.

Your mana regen will suck with your gear, when you get better gear, you will have NO issues with your mana (only when you aoe with multi dotting and MSear). Use your SW to get mana back, if you have serious mana probs, use it on CD.

Change your Heartsong, if you can't afford Power Torrent, get Hurricane.

BTW, get your hit down to 17%.1

http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=30303 the best guide imo.

If you are multidotting, and/or your gear is very low, you can run oom if you aren't careful. Try to get as many SW:deaths in as possible when multidotting they are a big source of mana and damage.

Yes, and make sure you're using AA and SF on CD.

Get rid of Disp glyph and put in SWD glyph, get a Unitframe that lets you show percentages or get Powerauras to tell it for you when a mob reaches 25% so you can immediately use SWD when it drops below that value. Don't refresh your dots when you just used DA. Chuck in two MF's to get your DE back to 5, then refresh your dots, use SF on cooldown, same with DA.

Change your leg embroidery from the Stamina one to the Spirit one. there's really no point to take the Enchanted over the Ghostly.

As stated above, don;t ever judge your mana consumption/gain on a dummy, the lack of buffs and other stuff gives you a very skewed image of what it 's like in a raid/dungeon environment.