Thread: Ganking?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Ganking?

First of all, I did read only the PvP section of the thread "Guild Wars 2: The One Thread", as I expect the information I'm looking for to be there and nowhere else. No information was found on the PvP conditions of the open persistent world.

I'm already expecting the worst game ruinig experience there can be... all players in the GW2 world run around in "God Mode", being immune to attacks from other players.

Regarding PvP, I've read that there are "hot join" games, which can be 1v1 and "tournament play" which is 5v5, and there is this "World vs World PvP" which is held on specific PvP maps, which explicitely exclude the rest of the GW2 world from PvP, if I understood it right.

For final clarification, two questions:
    - 1v1 games are without rewards or not equal with the highest quality rewards that can be obtained through 5v5 tournament play?
    - with the exception of *WvsW maps, there will be no possibility to kill other players against their will while they quest or whatever they are doing, like hanging around in cities?

Seems like more and more new MMOs try to protect their player base from other malicious players as much as possible. Most players like the idea of being in a world full of evil, of monsters with diabolic intentions claiming world dominance and so on... but this is "fake threat" only, hostile NPCs will never make the players online life hard and challenging or pose a real threat to him, unless he personally decides to engage the PvE content. So this endless army of "fake threat" lovers instantly says NO! as soon as they sense the danger of being attacked by other players, at a place where they don't want it, possibly under circumstances that give them little to no chance of surviving the encounter. Fake danger: yes please. "Real" danger: no thx, I want god mode.

I'm not asking for hardcore PvP, for perma death or full loot by other players. Nothing like that. I basically only would like to see GW2 offering the possibilities that are offered on WoW PvP servers, maybe a bit more by removing all safe zones and by fixing this annoying "flying mount immunity to PvP" and the excessive usage of teleports and other instant long distance transportation methods, which eliminate any possible PvP encounter.

In fact I love the possibility of being ganked in WoW, without it the world would feel so... boring and free of any danger, or as stated above just full of "fake threat". I'm not saying that WoW does a great job here, because even on a PvP server the probability of being attacked by other players is rather low, but still, the possibility IS there. And yes there are PvE servers for the... you know what I call them.

So yes, most of all, I like to be able to attack other players in MMOs regardless where they are or what they are doing.
    Not going to argue much about "ganking", as it's pointless to discuss this issue with people who are strictly against PvP anyhwere. The only thing they see in the possibility of being attacked anywhere against thir will is "ganking" anyway, and that's automatically a bad thing. It's just strange that the most successfull MMO of all times allows exactly that, isn't it?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Go to the mists. Leave the people that want to just pve in peace.

There's still world pvp going on in cities in WoW? I thought that died on its arse this expac.

Afaik, one on one pvp is supported in WoW, but it's not the be all, end all. You can duel, but that doesn't offer rewards except bragging rights and practise. You can kill lower level players that are pvp marked on pvp servers, but you won't gain honour for it. You can fight inside cities and kill all the npcs if you really want to, and fight the players who choose to defend, but you'll have to put up with the guards that spawn too. You can play on a pvp server to engage in or have the chance of finding more pvp, but you'll have to cope with that decision when you're in contested territory. Or you can choose to be on a pve server, but deal with having to do TB battles like anyone else if you want to get the faction rewards or get control of the island for dailies / raid.

Bottom line is that it's more or less about choice. Let people make up their own minds and do their own thing, and be happy not everyone is one and the same.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

The guy above me is lost.

Outside of WvW and structured pvp battles there is no pvp at all.

Out in the open world it's impossible to attack other players, even if you're from another world. There is no pvp in the open world, and Arenanet does not ever want there to be pvp in the open world. They want pve and pvp to be separate.

There are no pvp or pve or rp servers. Just 1 kind of server.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-09 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle.d View Post
    There's still world pvp going on in cities in WoW? I thought that died on its arse this expac.

Afaik, one on one pvp is supported in WoW, but it's not the be all, end all. You can duel, but that doesn't offer rewards except bragging rights and practise. You can kill lower level players that are pvp marked on pvp servers, but you won't gain honour for it. You can fight inside cities and kill all the npcs if you really want to, and fight the players who choose to defend, but you'll have to put up with the guards that spawn too. You can play on a pvp server to engage in or have the chance of finding more pvp, but you'll have to cope with that decision when you're in contested territory. Or you can choose to be on a pve server, but deal with having to do TB battles like anyone else if you want to get the faction rewards or get control of the island for dailies / raid.

Bottom line is that it's more or less about choice. Let people make up their own minds and do their own thing, and be happy not everyone is one and the same.
    Wow this is the second time today someone has mistaken a guild wars thread for a wow thread.

Speak for yourself. I always hated being ganked by somebody at max level. Where is the fun in that at all for either party? Basically, ArenaNet isn't doing it to protect the players, they're doing it because they're trying to encourage a sense of community. This community is important for dynamic events and success in WvW PvP. It makes sense for this sort of game, to me.

Not to mention world pvp would just be a free for all. No factions, so everyone you see you're supposed to be working with. WvW is there if you want big battles, and if you want to gank people there more power to you. There isn't a duel, but you can go to the Mists and challenge people to 1v1 battles, then enter arena and go crazy. Just put the settings to 1v1. 5v5 is the only thing that gets you currency to buy PvP armor, but 1v1 duels never got you anything in WoW did they?
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Different design goals. WoW and most other MMO's had two faction systems and a number of other core mechanics that don't promote group play (mob tagging, no option for fast grouping ect.). GW2 is designed to promote players interacting with each other, helping, and grouping on their server. Pretty much every system they have in place supports this design goal, and having open world PvP would entirely defeat it.

GW2 isn't going to be a game for everyone, and if we know anything about it so far, it's that they don't care much about what the most successful MMO is doing because they are interested in doing their own thing.

Redit: This is coming from someone who LOVES open world PvP (real PvP, not ganking lowbies or attacking players with low HP) and has participated it in whenever possible when games allow for it. Some of the best experiences I've had have come from spontaneous world PvP in WoW.

Reward differences between 1v1 hot join matches and 5v5 tournaments will only be different in cosmetic appearance. As everyone is given max stats/skills/traits/level to make an even playing field where gear is not a factor.

You will not be able to attack or kill anyone outside of WvW/structured PvP maps. I've heard of various Dynamic Events and out of the way areas but I haven't watched a whole lot of WvW videos to see any in action, other than one to drive off Krait in a specific area to capture it for some benefit to your server/team which should be available for capture by other servers.

Open world ganking is the worst excuse for purile epeening I've ever come across in gaming. Thank god Anet are abolishing it.
    They're not creating pvp servers as they don't want to separate the community. They're not allowing open world pvp as it sucks for those that don't want to do it constantly.
    They provide all the pvp anyone who actually wants to compete with other people on an equal footing in the pvp they've designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle.d View Post

I lol'ed so hard, you need to pay attention what threads you're looking in bro. Or at least read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The guy above me is lost.

Outside of WvW and structured pvp battles there is no pvp at all.

Out in the open world it's impossible to attack other players, even if you're from another world. There is no pvp in the open world, and Arenanet does not ever want there to be pvp in the open world. They want pve and pvp to be separate.

There are no pvp or pve or rp servers. Just 1 kind of server.
    What he said. And while there is no 'ganking' as you put it (high levels attacking low levels) you can still 'gank' as in ambush targets. Not sure how the term gank became a high level person killing lowbies though, it's just another term for ambush when you attack someone by surprise.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    GW2 isn't going to be a game for everyone, and if we know anything about it so far, it's that they don't care much about what the most successful MMO is doing because they are interested in doing their own thing.

Redit: This is coming from someone who LOVES open world PvP (real PvP, not ganking lowbies or attacking players with low HP) and has participated it in whenever possible when games allow for it. Some of the best experiences I've had have come from spontaneous world PvP in WoW.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Exactly how would this world pvp you're asking for be implemented in the home server?
    There're no 'factions' like in wow, so... deathmatch... races against races?

EDIT: argh, you guys are too fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say good on them for not allowing it. They want to do what they feel is right, who cares what the top MMO does.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Heaven forbid player want to not get ganked in a game.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    I'm not asking for hardcore PvP, for perma death or full loot by other players. Nothing like that. I basically only would like to see GW2 offering the possibilities that are offered on WoW PvP servers, maybe a bit more by removing all safe zones and by fixing this annoying "flying mount immunity to PvP" and the excessive usage of teleports and other instant long distance transportation methods, which eliminate any possible PvP encounter.

In fact I love the possibility of being ganked in WoW, without it the world would feel so... boring and free of any danger, or as stated above just full of "fake threat". I'm not saying that WoW does a great job here, because even on a PvP server the probability of being attacked by other players is rather low, but still, the possibility IS there. And yes there are PvE servers for the... you know what I call them.

So yes, most of all, I like to be able to attack other players in MMOs regardless where they are or what they are doing.
    Not going to argue much about "ganking", as it's pointless to discuss this issue with people who are strictly against PvP anyhwere. The only thing they see in the possibility of being attacked anywhere against thir will is "ganking" anyway, and that's automatically a bad thing. It's just strange that the most successfull MMO of all times allows exactly that, isn't it?!
    Everything you ask for is in WvW maps: you can drop in unexpectedly and crush any old random noob (assuming they arent on the same team, but not even wow allows that).

But in reality you're not asking for that are you? You're asking for the sociopathic ability to ruin someones day, to cause "nerd-rage". Well tough titties bucko: The gaming community doesnt actually WANT that; and ANet know this so they arent actively promoting players being able to get enjoyment solely out of negatively impacting someone else play experience.

Im a big fan of PvP servers in WoW and SWToR and would always play them over PvE ones; I love PvP, and especially those amazing, very rare, world PvP moments where you have a genuine random battle. So i'll be playing a lot of WvW, I cant friggin wait. It caters to all the non-carebear types, you're not one of those though, you're the sociopathic kind. I urge you not to play GW2 because youll be the guy who sits on the other worlds vent passing information while typing in chat and loling at the nerds ragin'.

I dont want some terrible little sociopathic outlet for kids who like to cut the heads off bugs. You have games like Darkfall for that... Oh theyre not very popular? Servers are dead? Colour me surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Different design goals. WoW and most other MMO's had two faction systems and a number of other core mechanics that don't promote group play (mob tagging, no option for fast grouping ect.). GW2 is designed to promote players interacting with each other, helping, and grouping on their server. Pretty much every system they have in place supports this design goal, and having open world PvP would entirely defeat it.

Right, Arena Net designs the game much like they did the last one; hardcore PvP.

One thing you can expect from ArenaNet is they aren't trash in PvP. If you watch a video were ArenaNet plays against other players they won't be ridiculous like WoW is where they don't even know the basics of the class. (i.e that time where a team of 3 employees got defeated by 2 people). [they waited for blizz to kill one]

They don't like the ganking philosophy at all. It's a blessing that you got WvWvW to begin with.

I'm tired of clones, why should I pay $60 for a new game that tries to copy WoW but still misses features?

You may thing that World PvP is the best thing in the world, but I don't. In fact I have disrespect for World PvP. People gank others and talk trash to others and when I see their PvP videos they are clicking their abilities; they also complain on how instanced PvP is unbalanced. I remember how Rift's selling point was world PvP and rifts. Nearly 90% of the videos on youtube praising the world PvP were clickers.

My best PvP moments has always been with Guild Wars.

Fighting for silver trim was thrilling, much more thrilling than getting ganked because they had more people. There are many moments in top PvP where if you were off a heal a quarter of a second your team dies. And for that reason, I claim Guild Wars the most successful PvP mmo.

If you don't like the fact the game is original, don't buy it then. There are plenty of clones out there for you to try.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-03-09 at 06:44 AM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    They don't like the ganking philosophy at all. It's a blessing that you got WvWvW to begin with.
    Sorry, taking this one line. There's nothing wrong with ambushing targets in WvW. Ambushes are a strat. If you get ambushed by a group larger then yourself (or smaller but more skilled which ever) then so be it. Ganking and ambushing are the same thing, people just use the world to describe higher level characters killing lowbies, which won't be possible in this game anyway. No World PvE outside of WvW and everyone is max level in WvW besides the fact people who are initially higher before the scaling will have a slight advantage.

If I'm walking around in WvW and a random group of people charge and just kill me, that's not a problem at all. It's a legit 'gank' or ambush. Especially since WvW is all about the PvP.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Sorry, taking this one line. There's nothing wrong with ambushing targets in WvW. Ambushes are a strat. If you get ambushed by a group larger then yourself (or smaller but more skilled which ever) then so be it. Ganking and ambushing are the same thing, people just use the world to describe higher level characters killing lowbies, which won't be possible in this game anyway. No World PvE outside of WvW and everyone is max level in WvW besides the fact people who are initially higher before the scaling will have a slight advantage.

If I'm walking around in WvW and a random group of people charge and just kill me, that's not a problem at all. It's a legit 'gank' or ambush. Especially since WvW is all about the PvP.
    They are hardly ambushes. They are more like "Hey, we got killed here can we get some help? [in all chat]" Then the zone who is desperate for world PvP looks they all join in one large group. So then you end up getting like 20 players killing 5 people. The very fact that the game has world PvP generally means everyone rolls one side and neglects the other.

World PvP is never balanced, more people can join whenever they want makes it unfair, especially on top of faction inbalance. Most of the time it's all bad players to begin with, it becomes insulting when you notice obviously bad players kill you simply because they had more players. I prefer to be slain by someone in my level, not in a zerg.

World PvP lacks any skill at all, it becomes too crowded to notice anything that you could have prevented. The FPS also drops down to like 5-10 frames per second.

I'm glad that you enjoy it, but I don't. I respect how the game actually includes challenging PvP instead of trying to implement a joke.

There are too many MMO's out there that tend to ignore the actual PvP crowd and make PvP content just for the casual players. (i.e Rift, SWTOR,Aion,Tera) The games there follow the majority, where everyone thinks that world PvP is the best thing since sliced bread.

They all show videos of DAOC which most people didn't even play and yet they're saying it's the best PvP ever without actually playing it.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-03-09 at 07:30 AM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Spippidy
    I think GW2's WvW resolves every concern uv raised tbh.