Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Drinking alcohol while having a cold

Its Saint Patrick's Day and I was planning on going to a lot of parties and getting wasted. I don't normally drink, but for days like this I like to go all out. I have a cold, would it be okay to drink alcohol? I always seem to get sick at the wrong times and don't know what to do.

Yea you can drink, just don't do stupid shit like getting so wasted you walk off on the street without a shirt on, cause that's asking for a lung infection.
    If the cold starts worsening during the evening (pounding headaches, really sore throat) I'd stop drinking at that point. Not that anything can seriously go wrong, but you might have the flu, and the only proper way of getting rid of that is just to sit it out.

Deleted
    My father drinks Vodka when he is sick to get warm and heal... seriously. Some sort of Soviet trick.

Drink lots of water, alcohol dehydrates you and you'll already be sick from your cold. Take some vitamin c a few hours before you drink..

Deleted
    Lots of water, beer and orange juice is the way to cure a cold!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe to have read that getting really badly drunk can impair your immune system - just think of the dehydration that will affect the tissue in your nose, throat and glands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Yea you can drink, just don't do stupid shit like getting so wasted you walk off on the street without a shirt on, cause that's asking for a lung infection.
    No it isn't, because if you drink enough you will stay warm even without a shirt on. You know, because bloodveins widen?

alcohol dehydrates you, if anything you may feel better because of it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-17 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    No it isn't, because if you drink enough you will stay warm even without a shirt on. You know, because bloodveins widen?
    you aren't actually warmer, you feel warmer because more blood is near the surface of your skin

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Its Saint Patrick's Day and I was planning on going to a lot of parties and getting wasted. I don't normally drink, but for days like this I like to go all out. I have a cold, would it be okay to drink alcohol? I always seem to get sick at the wrong times and don't know what to do.
    Nyquil - popular brand of cold medicine in America - has 10% alcohol in it.

Seems it's A-OK.

It's not good for you, but if you want to have fun, do it anyway.

Alcohol lowers core body temperature.

If you took some sort of antibiotic pill, don't drink alcohol.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my experience I would say you can do it. It actually makes you feel better after a couple of beers and you won't feel bad (in a sick way). However, depending on the amount you will drink the next morning can and will be very tough, so as many have suggested it drink plenty of water. Also, taking a painkiller well before you start drinking (alcohol and painkillers = bad if you consume them at the same time) will help alot. And if you are on anti-biotics there should be nothing to worry about, I once asked my doctor whether I should drink or not whilst on anti-biotics and he said there should be no real danger, there is a very slight chance it might give you some heart damage but nothing really bad.
    Don't do anything I wouldn't do

Deleted
    As long as the alcohol isn't cold I don't see a problem. Also, don't forget to breathe through your nose, you might think it's not a big difference but it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor306 View Post
    As long as the alcohol isn't cold I don't see a problem.
    What the what?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What the what?
    Ohh a nice cup of brandy during cold winter times.. mmh yum yum

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Overall, drinking alcohol causes your body to get colder; it just plays with your senses at the same time so you don't notice it. The blood goes into your peripheral tissue.... but where do you think it comes from?

This is one reason why you should never, ever drink to stay warm in extreme cold. You drink, blood goes to the surface, the air washes over the surface sucking the heat out of your blood, and your chilled blood circulates back into the body

Deleted
    a cold really? for most people that is just a minor inconvenience.

As many have pointed out: that is not the case.
    The reason why I said it was because you actually feel warmer, which can deceive you into thinking you're fine taking off a few pieces of clothing, even though you have a cold. Like I said, just keep your clothes on and you should be fine

10+ Year Old Account
    you can do it but man will you pay for it in the morning.