Thread: GW1 sub numbers

GW1 sub numbers

Anyone have data on how many people played GW1, max sub numbers, etc.

I know it's a bit weird since the "subs" were basically free, so total sales is also of interest.
    But any information of number of servers, how full they were, how end game went, how long people played after max level, time to max level, etc.

When I look at older data I can find for EQ, wow, Aion, Conan, Lineage, etc., GW1 tends to not be in it for some reason?
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

Total sales were about 6.5 million I believe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    In terms of subs? Zero. It was a sub free game.

6.5 million copy's were sold in the time it was released, but as all but one of the expansions could be played as stand alone the numbers are likely to be closer to about 2-3 millions people who actively played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are no "sub numbers" or statistics on end-game (there wasn't any in an MMO sense per-se) nor about players at max level. It doesn't really matter since people bought the box and ArenaNet made all their money from that (and some cash shop, but GW1 launched without the cash shop and it sustained fine until it gained it).

6.5 million box sales (this includes all expansions)
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account

I know it's a bit weird since the "subs" were basically free, so total sales is also of interest.
    But any information of number of servers, how full they were, how end game went, how long people played after max level, time to max level, etc.

When I look at older data I can find for EQ, wow, Aion, Conan, Lineage, etc., GW1 tends to not be in it for some reason?
    GW1 doesn't have a sub so it can't really be counted.

It also doesn't use the server setup that games like wow and such use.
    Instead of servers, you have districts and channels. For example, If I'm in lion's arch, european district, channel 1 I can see everyone in that district and channel.

you can freely switch between districts and channels at any time so you can play with everyone at any time.

GW1 had a very active community while I played (up till 2009-2010) and still does, actually.

As for end game, GW1 doesn't have any gear progression past a certain (easy to reach) point so there's no dungeon/raid grind like in wow.
    The game is fairly pvp focused, but I know a lot of pve only players who spent a few thousand hours in it as well.

Levelling takes only a few hours for experienced players, since the cap is very low.(20)
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It also doesn't use the server setup that games like wow and such use.
    Instead of servers, you have districts and channels. For example, If I'm in lion's arch, european district, channel 1 I can see everyone in that district and channel.

you can freely switch between districts and channels at any time so you can play with everyone at any time.
    Wait, so it's esentially one server, with phasing?
    That sounds like an awesome way to deal with server population death.
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so it's esentially one server, with phasing?
    That sounds like an awesome way to deal with server population death.
    Since the entire game was instanced (basically waiting rooms) they didn't need separate worlds or servers because the instancing removed a ton of stress from the server network. It's impossible to have such an infrastructure in a persistent world.

I don't consider GW1 an MMO. It's much more similar to Diablo than WoW or GW2.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The endgame of Guildwars 1 was more about doing all the missions in all of the campaigns, getting the harder to get weapons and gear (more for the great skin then the stats) and getting all the titles available (achievements). I was a more PvE focused player on gw1 and never played much pvp but I was able to keep myself amuzed for 4500 hours (on 1 character) over about 6 years.

I really liked the way they do servers. basicly you had districts or channels that grew depending on the demand for example in a big city like lion's arch you have normally 6-8 districts but in an event like halloween there are 60-80 districts.
    If you are a late night player in europe you can always switch to the US servers at any time to find more people.

the time to max level (20) is for players that know what they are doing +-3 days. they will have the maximum armor rating but will not have a decent skill build.
    for me max level is not really the level itself it's more like having a good skill build and skills to switch so you are flexible for hardmode content.

I went on Guild Wars today to get a few points for my HoM and it clearly still has a relatively busy community, I found times that districts or servers were full of people and really not much has changed except everyone is just throwing money at their Hall of Monuments.