Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I havent had any OBE's, but I actually did have a lucid dream once, within the past year. Me and a friend had become somewhat obsessed with dreams. It took probably like a month of trying but I finally did it once. Something that help are reality checks. All through out the day look around and just "check" that its reality. Look at a clock, look away, then look back, did it change? Pinch yourself, is anything out of place. It will feel ridiculous at first, but eventually itll become a habit, and then you'll repeat these habits in your dreams. Except when you're being chased by dinosaurs you'll suddenly realize dinosaurs have been dead. For a while. Something that helped me personally was writing my dreams down in a journal. Not only does this create a very fun record of things I would have forgotten 10 seconds alter, but I seemed to start remembering my dreams more often, after all-what's the point of a lucid dream if you can't remember it?
    As for my experience, I was on a mountain near the edge of space when I realized. I messed around, gave myself a gun, changed it from night to day and some other details I don't remember at the moment. Then I woke up. =(
    Also, on OBE's, they aren't actually real, they are simply the recreation of your surroundings. When you walk away from your body, its actually a dream based in the locations that your brain remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    it's a form of hysteria. it's a mental thing, it's like when you know you need to jump but you can't. people like to throw cute names on things to make them seem more important and "impossible to overcome" when they can't overcome it

alcoholism
    manic depressive
    etc

recently there is a case of what doctors are calling mass hysteria in a school, this group of girls is getting "sick" and it appears debilitating, but 100% of every test they could come up with before the school's budget was literally gone showed that nothing was the problem. the tests on the kids by doctors showed nothing working improperly.

look at a soccer match. you think the hoodlums can't control themselves so that's why 10 people get trampled and killed? or you think people just like to let loose and act like idiots with (what they think) no consequence?

humans have always done this. religion came from us being unable to explain something and attributing it to a god.
    Sleep paralysis = experience where you wake up prematurely and hallucinate.

When you are in REM sleep, your body prevents motor neurons from firing in your brain so you don't move around and hurt yourself when you're dreaming. You also generally dream your most well-remembered dreams during REM sleep.

Sometimes a person can wake up during prematurely during REM sleep and still be paralyzed and in a dream-like state, 'causing them to "dream" (hallucinate) while awake. Since they can't move right away, they panic, which just causes the hallucinations to get worse because your dreams are influenced by your own thoughts.

I've had it happen once in my life and it wasn't a good experience, though it wasn't as bad as a lot of people have them. I didn't really see much difference except that my chair was very scary looking, like some sort of shapeless monster. My bed doesn't have a stand so I basically sleep 8 inches above the ground, so my big black computer chair is above me and can be very close. After a bit I was fine, but for that first bit after waking up it was pretty terrifying.

I've read somewhere that 5% of america have lucid dreams and an OBE

Personally I've had one OBE(really more of an astral projection), don't really want to have another. I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me so I never tell anyone. Never had a lucid dream.