Did anyone chage their mind about..

Did anyone change their mind about Tera when the release date for D3 was announced?

I already pre ordered the Ce Tera, but with D3 coming out 14 days later,Not sure which game to devote my full time to.

What about you guys?

I don't really have enough game time in my life for more than one game at a time, and I still like WoW, so D3's probably not something I'll get to for quite a while. I've got no idea what Tera is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different type games so no it didn't change my opinion.

D3 isn't an MMO. I'm not sure why you're putting the two in the same time consumption basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't really have enough game time in my life for more than one game at a time, and I still like WoW, so D3's probably not something I'll get to for quite a while. I've got no idea what Tera is.
    TERA is a localized Korean MMO that's currently in beta stages, to be released soon. It's probably the biggest non-WoW MMO news story right behind SWTOR and Guild Wars 2, so anyone that's been looking into other MMOs will probably have come across it.

TERA's biggest draw is the combat (and pretty graphics), which is much more similar to something like Vindictus than WoW. After having played the beta myself, I'd have to say that the combat blows WoW and SWTOR's out of the water. It all depends on the other elements, really.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2012-03-18 at 05:14 PM.

Tera looks pretty mediocre to me. I mean, visually it looks great, and the combat system looks interesting... but isn't it just another generic grindfest mmo? Meh, I'm waiting for GW2, and will be getting Diablo 3. No monthly sub for either so no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    TERA is a localized Korean MMO that's currently in beta stages, to be released soon. It's probably the biggest non-WoW MMO news story right behind SWTOR and Guild Wars 2, so anyone that's been looking into other MMOs will probably have come across it.

TERA's biggest draw is the combat (and pretty graphics), which is much more similar to something like Vindictus than WoW. After having played the beta myself, I'd have to say that the combat blows WoW and SWTOR's out of the water. It all depends on the other elements, really.
    Nifty. My impression was that Korean MMO's tend to be very grindy. Do you know if that'll be the case for TERA? I just went and had a quick look and it seems pretty entertaining. I probably won't get around to playing it, but that's more a reflection of my fear of change than anything else...

More troubled by the choice between D3 and MP3 tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Nifty. My impression was that Korean MMO's tend to be very grindy. Do you know if that'll be the case for TERA? I just went and had a quick look and it seems pretty entertaining. I probably won't get around to playing it, but that's more a reflection of my fear of change than anything else...
    TERA is grindy.. Sort of. See, the first thing that struck me was how much the action combat broke up the grind. If you stay still and just try to hit something and use your abilities, you'll die a horrible death. You've got to dodge and block (press a button to raise your weapon and block, not WoW's RNG block) as well as time stuff to kill enemies, especially the big ones. The game's gameplay doesn't leave much room for anything that isn't a kill X amount of Y/gather X amount of Y quest, but at the same time, the enemies themselves make up the substance of the game rather than the means for which they are being killed. You could say that if the game's leveling design was put into a game like WoW, it'd be super grindy, but the combat is a huge factor in the "is it repetitive?" equation.

As for further elements, from what I understand, it's got a big PvP focus. The higher action factor in the combat is supposed to put it a notch above other MMOs in terms of PvP, especially when you're looking at it in terms of class/gear versus skill. Furthermore, factions are player-decided. I haven't read too much into it, but on PvP servers, you, as the players, basically set up your own factions and can be at war with whatever faction of players that you want, on a guild-by-guild basis. I think there's some other things like bounties on player's heads, but I'm not sure.

There's also a political system; players can take power over regions and cities. You can get that power either through the popular vote (and by being good to people to get those votes) or through force, either by just taking the city or strongarming you way in. You can earn "policy points" to determine whether or not you stay in office, again through votes or, if you're a tyrant, by completing super-difficult quests specifically for those with power. The political system is almost entirely player-driven, and there's videos around that explain it better than I did.

The endgame PvE encounters look pretty fun, but I haven't gone through those myself. Still, the combat really shines through with a good encounter. Interestingly, a tank can hold aggro in this game but never actually take damage by being skillful and dodging everything. At the same time, attacks aren't target-and-shoot based, so any poor sod in the way of a boss's swing is going to get hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Uw...eature=related - for an example of the combat in outdoor PvE. A particularly big monster with a lot of health in this case.

TERA has a few things to distinguish itself from other K-MMOs, but at the same time, it might fall prey to the same problems. You'll probably have to do some research of your own if you're interested. I'm not sure if I'll be playing it yet.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2012-03-18 at 05:34 PM.

I changed my mind about Tera when I found out how shady and underhanded the company behind it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarunico View Post
    I changed my mind about Tera when I found out how shady and underhanded the company behind it was.
    You're referring to the "stolen code" incident, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarunico View Post
    How so? Curious.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkiu View Post
    Did anyone change their mind about Tera when the release date for D3 was announced?

I already pre ordered the Ce Tera, but with D3 coming out 14 days later,Not sure which game to devote my full time to.

What about you guys?
    I played WoW and quit. I'm not playing another MMO in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    How so? Curious.
    Basically, the game started development as Lineage 3, with the developers working for NCsoft. They left NCsoft and continued development of their game under a different name. It caused a legal stir because they were using some resources that were made under NCsoft's emplyment, so NCsoft legally owned them. The biggest issue, as I recall, was that raw code and digital resources for Lineage 3 were being used in the game's development. Bluehole Studios lost the court case with NCsoft back in Korea, and since then, all of NCsoft's resources have been removed from TERA.

On top of that, NCsoft recently kicked up dust in a US court battle against the US publisher of TERA, claiming that other resources were illegaly used in TERA's development. It's a very shaky case, though. Most of what they've presented this time around is concept art that somewhat resembles TERA's own concept art. Nothing that NCsoft had copyright for has been brought up this time around. Chances are that they're either seeking to get an out-of-court settlement (hey, it's a good way to make money) or stall/hurt the release of TERA. Why would they do that? Guild Wars 2 is an NCsoft West product, so Guild Wars 2 is in competition with it. I don't know if the court case has been wrapped up yet, as I wasn't following it.

That's my understanding of the situation and what he'd be referring to. There may be some unscrupulous activity that I'm aware of, though.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2012-03-18 at 05:48 PM.

Don't plan on playing TERA at all, I didn't like Aion and haven't been impressed by the gameplay videos i've seen on youtube. I'll stick it out for GW2 and MoP i guess

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I posted on Youtube videos of Tera mainly trying to find someone to point out what it does differently than other games, since I heard it isn't like other games in the genre. The only thing anyone ever said was "It is skill based combat" which doesn't make sense, since every video shown profiles their in-game interface solely for the purpose of macroing all of your attacks into 1 button (Spacebar as default I believe.) but having to aim your camera at what you are attacking. Also that there is a "Political system" but the only thing the elected person (or people, not sure how it works) control is Taxes, and can increase/decrease monster spawn rates in certain areas.

The game is undoubtedly pretty, but is it more?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I played WoW and quit. I'm not playing another MMO in my life.
    Hi and welcome to MMO-Champion, what ya doing here?

Deleted
    I will still try Tera and i still wont play D3. So nope no change here.