Drakensang - Diablo clone

Well, it's not diablo 3. But since we still have a bit of time to wait on it's release I looked around for some alternatives to keep myself busy with.
    (cba with wow much anymore)

Found this little gem:
    * www.drakensang.com

Available in a variety of languages.
    Free2play. So no cost etc. Just, ignore the pay for more features crap, you don't need those (though youll wish for more inventory space), and dungeon gear is better anyway.

The game looks amazing, plays in the browser, has some features from diablo 3 (health orbs) etc.
    No trading.
    Decent PvP in brackets 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40
    3 classes.
    Guilds.

Meh, just try it and judge for yourself.

Just don't post profanity in the chat channel - they're quite agressive on banning for that.
    But, the chat sucks anyway, so just play the game solo :P

Looks interesting. I'm signing up to play at the moment.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I've played it for a few hours not bad for a f2p browser game. It's a decent fix until Diablo III and it is an MMO since there's more then 5 players.

Deleted
    Thanks for sharing this, tried it for an hour before i became too tired, it's not bad. Will share with friends

Deleted
    Definitely looks cool. I'll try it out.

I'm certainly be playing this!

I just stumbled across this game too and it is very amazing for a browser game. Loving the Diablo style features.

I just tried the PvP and .. holy amazeballs, how is this game free?
    Last edited by Cracked; 2012-03-21 at 05:59 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing this too, currently running about the Catacombs and Crypt of Kings but it either goes super slow on my ranger, or I did a lot on my warrior.

Hit me up if anybody wants to group in a dungeon around the level 15 mark, names Care if you can find me!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on the EU PvP server.
    Last edited by Hulari; 2012-03-21 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn’t look that interesting

Deleted
    I tried this few months back. First impression was very good. Tho, after getting a bit higher level the spells started costing more and more of the special resource you can only fill by random chance of luck or by buying the recharge items from the shop. Also, stuff like health pots are only available thro the coins, not to mention the hugely overpowered gear you can get. Looked very promising, too bad it felt so forcing to pay / pay to win.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    I tried this few months back. First impression was very good. Tho, after getting a bit higher level the spells started costing more and more of the special resource you can only fill by random chance of luck or by buying the recharge items from the shop. Also, stuff like health pots are only available thro the coins, not to mention the hugely overpowered gear you can get. Looked very promising, too bad it felt so forcing to pay / pay to win.
    I haven't seen anything about the resource so far, the rangers get an energy like resource, the caster gets mana and the warrior gets rage that fills up as you hit things so it's actually quite spammable with most abilities.

I do agree though that it does feel a little forced with the pay to play to be able to get anywhere which is very unfortunate. Especially considering the price of some of the items. If you don't pay you have quite a big grind, especially for the health potions and crystal of truths, if the little things like that were purchasable with in-game coin it wouldn't seem as much that way.

Non-the-less it's not a bad game to pick up for some dungeon crawling, the only thing I find lacking at the moment is people to group up. Seems a lot of russians in the EU servers.

I've always loved these types of games and I'm waiting for a good MMO to come out like this that has a subscription, because I'd actually be more than happy to pay a subscription fee for this game alone if it had one and didn't follow the pay to win that most games seem to go like this.

Deleted
    I was playing mage. There was like lightning/fire/ice and one more element. After like level 10 or so you'd start receiving spells that use the special resources as well as mana. If you ran out of those resources you'd only be able to use your "basic" spells that cost like half your mana bar worth to cast and deal 1/5 damage of the resource based spell. You could recharge them by item drops (much like health motes, except the color of the element) or alternatively buying an item from the store. This might've been changed since I played I don't know.

Deleted
    I will try it, thanks for the heads up.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    I was playing mage. There was like lightning/fire/ice and one more element. After like level 10 or so you'd start receiving spells that use the special resources as well as mana. If you ran out of those resources you'd only be able to use your "basic" spells that cost like half your mana bar worth to cast and deal 1/5 damage of the resource based spell. You could recharge them by item drops (much like health motes, except the color of the element) or alternatively buying an item from the store. This might've been changed since I played I don't know.
    Yeah that's not there any more. I did a little research to find out and saw in some videos. It's basically a FFA for the spells you use until your energy/rage/mana runs out now.

Deleted
    Well been playing this for most of the day with 2 of my friends, its very good, but its not without its issues.

Lots of grinding to do if you do not buy the ingame currency, health potions are rare drops, and can only be bought with real money.

Crystals of truth (identification scrolls) don't seem to be very abundant, and it takes too many of them to identify some items.

Some dungeons require a "seal" to enter, from what i've seen its only posible to aquire your first one for free, the rest you need to buy with the ingame currency, meaning some content has to be bought.

Overall fun game, just too much reliance on micro transactions, its not impossible to play without them, but you'll have a much harder time if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arazor View Post
    Well been playing this for most of the day with 2 of my friends, its very good, but its not without its issues.

Lots of grinding to do if you do not buy the ingame currency, health potions are rare drops, and can only be bought with real money.

Crystals of truth (identification scrolls) don't seem to be very abundant, and it takes too many of them to identify some items.

Some dungeons require a "seal" to enter, from what i've seen its only posible to aquire your first one for free, the rest you need to buy with the ingame currency, meaning some content has to be bought.

Overall fun game, just too much reliance on micro transactions, its not impossible to play without them, but you'll have a much harder time if you don't.
    Yeah, some games actually require to spend some time on it, it's a really deal-breaker.

Sarcasm detected!
    Oh, that still works. Good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Yeah, some games actually require to spend some time on it, it's a really deal-breaker.

Sarcasm detected!
    Oh, that still works. Good.
    Actually, its not the time spent grinding that bothers me, its the things you have to grind. Health potions for example, you need these to do alot of content, and grinding for them to drop in the world really doesnt seem right, sometimes you'd even have to use your health potions.. grinding for health potions.

The seals, you can't grind for, so you absolutely HAVE to buy them.

There's plenty of content outside dungeons, to get you around for a while. As well as leveling to 40 which takes it's share of time.

Legendary items take up to 600 crystals of truth to identify - which, is just too much to really get to use those early on.
    Perhaps they'll be easier to get later on, but early on it's just not wise to waste them on legendary items. Even epic items you'll probably want to skip over most of those since they are easy enough to replace while leveling.

It's annoying yes, but easy enough to look past if you look at the simple economics of your gear and upgrades.
    Epics/legendaries could be considered for the paying-customers - but even then the price is rather high.

So, if you ignore that, you'll have a more than adequately geared in blues char that'll get to lvl 40 soon enough.
    A bit slower than if you paid, but still.

And the pvp is certainly fun as long as you team up with some friends.
    2 second queues rock!

Actually, its not the time spent grinding that bothers me, its the things you have to grind. Health potions for example, you need these to do alot of content, and grinding for them to drop in the world really doesnt seem right, sometimes you'd even have to use your health potions.. grinding for health potions.

The seals, you can't grind for, so you absolutely HAVE to buy them.
    Oh wow, now I feel like a jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played this game a few months ago, was very impressed by the graphics, gameplay, and it was a browser game. Unfortunetly, it was a total pay2win type game....you couldn't even identify items without buying stuff for it. Since finding gear is one of the most crucial parts of thsi game, that was a real turn off. Anyone know if they have toned this down at all?