Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Right please bear with me on this one I’m just brain storming...

What about a planet with a larger mass then two suns orbiting it? One sun would be 150 million km away the other would be 200 million but slightly larger, maybe that could create what the OP is suggesting?

Either that or I’m completely mad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    It is certainly a valid opinion . However, I would much more like to leave on a green-house Earth, with warm weather, almost no seasons and a really hot ocean (up to 40°C).

Also, the humanity is currently in a bad place because we're just in a warm interlude between two huge glacial ages. We don't know how much that interlude is gonna last (estimates vary from 15 to 50 thousand years), but once it's over, it's ice all over again. And unless humanity can prevent it, the civilization will be at least badly shaken by it.
    trust me you wouldn't, wed all die from methane poising, there are MASSIVE stores at the bottom of alot of the oceans, raise the temperature a few degrees and watch what happens.

---------- Post added 2012-03-19 at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Should be both. Liquid CO2 means no photosynthesis. Also would mean a toxic atmosphere would exist given the compounds that would still be gas at that pressure.
    the plants on this planet might not be able to use liquid CO2 don't be so sure of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    trust me you wouldn't, wed all die from methane poising, there are MASSIVE stores at the bottom of alot of the oceans, raise the temperature a few degrees and watch what happens.

the plants on this planet might not be able to use liquid CO2 don't be so sure of others.
    There are some lifeforms that exist off of methane, so life could exist despite methane poisoning

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    Given the right conditions, is it possible to have an entire planet be tropical/or nice and warm all year round?
    Vast areas of Planet Earth were once mainly Rainforest, Forests, Jungles & Woodland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Not possible, sadly.
    To be tropical, you need wind, to have wind you need cold.
    Not quite, as atmospheric and oceanic circulation mechanics work quite differently in a green-house mode.
    However it requires a particular continent configuration and some greenhouse gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    What about a planet with a larger mass then two suns orbiting it? One sun would be 150 million km away the other would be 200 million but slightly larger, maybe that could create what the OP is suggesting?
    A twin star produces intense tidal effects, which makes difficult the accretion of the planets, let alone life.

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    I don't need to watch, as it has happened several times in the Earth history already. Bothersome, but life handled the whole thing pretty well
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Deleted
    Some thoughts on that: The climate on Earth has been much warmer in times before, and in the warm times also more uniform.
    I think it is because hotter climates mean more water in the atmosphere and more clouds, also higher sea levels and thus more oceanic and less continental climate regions. Ice reflects most of the light and shrinking/growing ice caps strengthen the trend, especially in the polar regions (see currently Antarctic Peninsula).
    West wind zones act to isolate the polar regions, especially Antarctica

There is a large catch to it however: while life existed then, the largest animals were all reptilians. For humans and other mammals it can easily get deadly hot, if the environment temperature is higher than our body temperature, and the atmosphere is wet so sweating doesn't help anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    There is a large catch to it however: while life existed then, the largest animals were all reptilians.
    You forgot the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, which was in a mammal-based world
    MMO player

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Looks like you're right -

The top graphic has an absolutely wrong scale. According to the graph, there wouldn't exist any liquid H20 at 1 bar above 200K (which is about the air pressure at sea level and very cold).

The bottom graphic looks right. According to it, for H2O to exist in liquid form at 200°C there would have to be an atmospheric pressure on the planet of at least 10 bar.

EDIT: Following the image URL, I just realized that the top chart is meant for CO2, not H2O. That's why all charts should be labelled correctly and completely :/
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-03-19 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    The top graphic has an absolutely wrong scale. According to the graph, there wouldn't exist any liquid H20 at 1 bar (which is about the air pressure at sea level).
    The top graphic is for CO2, actually, not water:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...se_diagram.svg
    MMO player

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Photosynthesis is a very specific process, though. The first forms of life didn't even use photosynthesis.... it was developed after the fact. So if you have situations where it would not work, I wouldn't be surprised if a new life form style, possibly not even carbon based, would develop.
    I'm not sure what other gases would be so readily available to assist in the formation on anything ATP like. The organisms that didn't use chloroplast or mitochondria didn't grow very large, it took endosymbiosis of those other cells to really provide the energy to evolve to multicellular organisms. Which I assume we are all trying to conceive of large diverse and abundant plant life of the same temperate, covering an entire biosphere. Like you say in further posts, I can't see silicon making life given its limited applications in chemistry when compared to carbon.

Simple solution:

Multiple stars within same solar system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious01 View Post
    Simple solution:

Multiple stars within same solar system.
    planets around multiple stars have variable orbits. Wouldn't give you a tropical like planet all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    planets around multiple stars have variable orbits. Wouldn't give you a tropical like planet all year round.
    What if the planet didn't have an orbit, and simply spun on the spot? Or didn't spin at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    What if the planet didn't have an orbit, and simply spun on the spot? Or didn't spin at all?
    planets would have to orbit the sun. The only way they would be held in place is by doing that. Otherwise they would be ejected from the solar system.

if it didn't rotate, one side would be very hot, one side very cold. The moon (our moon) does this. a planet in synchronous rotation around a star would be uninhabitable, except maybe in the twilight regions where day and night meet. Also, the atmosphere on the "hot" side would likely be stripped away and the radiation anywhere habitable on the planet would be intolerable.

Wouldn't the rotation of the planet alter time?
    Like if it spun slower or faster wouldn't that alter how fast time moves forward or slower in a sence?
    Last edited by Xalden; 2012-03-20 at 03:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalden View Post
    Wouldn't the rotation of the planet alter time?
    Like if it spun slower or faster wouldn't that alter how fast time moves forward or slower in a sence?
    Movement through space affects your perception of time no matter what. If a planet was orbiting a sun at twice the rate of earth then your perception of time would be slightly askew from that of earth. You would have to be going much much much faster for it to make an appreciable difference.

so.. you would need to be travelling thousands upon thousands of times faster than on earth to really make a difference.