View Poll Results: Eventually, what would you like to see?

Voters
1252. This poll is closed
  • The alpha male and female worgen customizations brought back as options.

632 50.48%
  • Alpha male/female worgen customizations as options, but more male customizations.

147 11.74%
  • Alpha male/female worgen customizations as options, but more female customization.

282 22.52%
  • More current female facial customization (not the same face (not pattern))

242 19.33%
  • More current male customization (fur colors, faces, hair, etc.)

175 13.98%
  • Idc, as long as the females don't derp around anymore.

498 39.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    The 2 games aren't really comparable when you consider one is 2012 game and the other is a 2004 game with a 2004 engine.
    but its funny how the 2004 tauren have greater feature diversity than the 2011 & 2012 worgen and pandas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    QFMFT.
    I have NO idea why Blizz doesn't look at the goblin females as a good model of what a new female should look like. Different faces, ugly faces, ugly noses, pretty noses, you can make a goblin female look really old and 'ugly', or you can make them look young and fabulous. (Granted, I wish the males had another face that didn't look like a 50 year old smoker..) But no, when it comes to a furred race, you all get the same :3 face. Or in terms of worgen females, the same fucked up chihuahua face.

God damn I hate Blizzard sometimes.

For fucks sake, even the CHARR, A RACE OF BEASTIAL, FEROCIOUS, CAT PEOPLE, have more facial diversity than the Pandaren AND Worgen females.
    Bottom row, second from the left. That's going to be my charr face (but not in white). She looks like she's got blood spattered on her muzzle. I love it!

I also love the one above it with the dainty pink nose. If this were WoW, they'd all look like that, but just have different stripes. That's the cuteface, clearly, but because you can pick other options that are without a doubt, BADFUCKINGASS, I'm okay picking cuteface (maybe for a mesmer? can charr be a mesmer?)

And the charr are without a doubt "ferocious" and "brutal" like worgen, but look! All those faces aren't completely GRR GRR RAWR RABID. Some of them are quite calm, whereas others just have a similar expression to my cat when I dangle a toy mouse in front of her. It's really awesome, and so sad that Blizz can't do similar. Yeah, those are literally different heads but... there's a lot you can do with just texture, too.

They're all (except arguably the top, third face; which is only subtly so) blatantly feminine, but they don't have to scream "Hey! You! I AM A GIRL! In case you didn't realize!" Like all of WoW's bestial races. They have their female features exaggerated to the extreme, like Blizz is worried we won't know it's a girl under all that fur.
    Last edited by snuzzle; 2012-08-23 at 10:12 AM.

Sig by Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    Bottom row, second from the left. That's going to be my charr face (but not in white). She looks like she's got blood spattered on her muzzle. I love it!
    Haven't decided if I'm going cutefase or spikeyfase. Kind of leaning towards spikeyfase, though.

I also love the one above it with the dainty pink nose. If this were WoW, they'd all look like that, but just have different stripes. That's the cuteface, clearly, but because you can pick other options that are without a doubt, BADFUCKINGASS, I'm okay picking cuteface (maybe for a mesmer? can charr be a mesmer?)
    Pretty sure GW2 has no race/class limitations. So yeah.

And the charr are without a doubt "ferocious" and "brutal" like worgen, but look! All those faces aren't completely GRR GRR RAWR RABID. Some of them are quite calm, whereas others just have a similar expression to my cat when I dangle a toy mouse in front of her. It's really awesome, and so sad that Blizz can't do similar. Yeah, those are literally different heads but... there's a lot you can do with just texture, too.

They're all (except arguably the top, third face; which is only subtly so) blatantly feminine, but they don't have to scream "Hey! You! I AM A GIRL! In case you didn't realize!" Like all of WoW's bestial races. They have their female features exaggerated to the extreme, like Blizz is worried we won't know it's a girl under all that fur.
    Yeah, pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.

Agree, the Charr are an excellent example of a beast race done well. The females are very clearly the same species as the male, yet also recognisably female - a smaller, sleeker version of the males. The customisation in GW2 is very different and a lot more in depth than WoW's so I'm not going to wax poetic about that as I guess it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but Blizz could certainly learn a few things by paying attention to how Arenanet have handled the Charr.

(Personally like the top left face myself - has a good blend of ferocity and femininity if that makes sense )
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Agree, the Charr are an excellent example of a beast race done well. The females are very clearly the same species as the male, yet also recognisably female - a smaller, sleeker version of the males. The customisation in GW2 is very different and a lot more in depth than WoW's so I'm not going to wax poetic about that as I guess it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but Blizz could certainly learn a few things by paying attention to how Arenanet have handled the Charr.

(Personally like the top left face myself - has a good blend of ferocity and femininity if that makes sense )
    Well said.
    I'm not trying to gloat or promote how GW2 has 'such awesomerer character models and customization, blizz sux!!!kjlnfbf!', but merely as an example that it's not even that difficult to make a beast, ferocious race, but also give them a diverse set of faces which range from GRRR to even 'meow'. I personally feel insulted that the Worgens (both males and females) are stuck with a permanent GRRRR all the time. They're Gilneans at heart, even with their beast side, and I doubt they would constantly be in a GRRR state, lore-wise. (Well, once they've become not-feral.)
    BIG CHUNKUS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    That was a change the went with them going from the Alpha to the Beta model. The Beta was built with a mane in mind, so naturally they couldn't have both.

As to the actual why though, we wouldn't know, though a lot of people on here at least were complaining their hair looked too wig-like and "anime." Newsflash people, all WoW hair looks like it was ripped from an anime, those are their polygons showing! WoW doesn't exactly do realism, so the only other option really is cartoony, and that leads to chunky models and chunky hair. Obviously some styles will be more anime-esque than others, but pretty much every hairstyle out there is flat planes and sharp angles.

I'm not sure if color was tied to fur back when the Alpha model could choose hair. Actually, was the Alpha model ever actually playable so that people could've played with those options at creation and the Barber Shop? Now that I think back I think she was only playable after they made the switch to Beta, and with the mane hair it made more sense for the colors to be tied, though people would still like for the option to change them, same as with Tauren. It just makes going to the Barber Shop more fun, you know?
    nope, Alpha model wasnt playable, at least, not during Beta Test Phase. But you just need to see on WMV that hair color has his own customization tab, so that means that hair color wasnt tied to any other "customization tab" (fur patterns, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    For fucks sake, even the CHARR, A RACE OF BEASTIAL, FEROCIOUS, CAT PEOPLE, have more facial diversity than the Pandaren AND Worgen females
    Slightly offtopic, but I'm just going to throw out that even though they made two ugly Charr faces, and two borderline ugly faces, you'll see almost no one choosing them in game; I do like the one with the blind eye, but the rest of the face is so ugly I couldn't stick with it - the sliders can't make an ugly face, not ugly. Having the option to choose an 'uglier face' is cool, but I think having so many of them, that will get used by so few people is a bit of a waste.

While I do agree that Worgen females are horrible (I rolled mine as male just because I couldn't stand her), and I'll agree that GW2 has more facial diversity, I do think they should have lessened the 'ugly' options and given us a few more 'scarred but still pretty' face choices - it's like the female Troll faces on WoW.

I'd also say that the hair customisation options for Charr females are abysmal - I'll just be picking the 'no hair' one. I definitely wouldn't say their hair options are any better than having no choice at all, but that's just my opinion.

Their fur pattern choices are one area the GW2 customisation really shines in, but... the Charr face and hair options are severely limited in comparison to the Humans, Norn & Sylvari, which is pretty much the same story as WoW. If you compare them to WoW, then yes they seem to have tonnes more options, but you should be comparing them to the amount of hair styles and facial choices for the other races of GW2.

Anyhow back on topic - Alpha model do want... that gif of the Priest Alpha model casting compared to the model we were given makes me so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiarra View Post
    Slightly offtopic, but I'm just going to throw out that even though they made two ugly Charr faces, and two borderline ugly faces, you'll see almost no one choosing them in game; I do like the one with the blind eye, but the rest of the face is so ugly I couldn't stick with it - the sliders can't make an ugly face, not ugly. Having the option to choose an 'uglier face' is cool, but I think having so many of them, that will get used by so few people is a bit of a waste.

While I do agree that Worgen females are horrible (I rolled mine as male just because I couldn't stand her), and I'll agree that GW2 has more facial diversity, I do think they should have lessened the 'ugly' options and given us a few more 'scarred but still pretty' face choices - it's like the female Troll faces on WoW.

Their fur pattern choices are one area the GW2 customisation really shines in, but... the Charr face and hair options are severely limited in comparison to the Humans, Norn & Sylvari, which is pretty much the same story as WoW.
    I'll agree with you on the hair, but I think the complete opposite on the faces. Human and norn females have perhaps one face that does not look like a supermodel. The humans are particularly bad; there's one old and droopy face, and the rest are all completely flawless and pretty. There's no "young but rugged" option.

Yes, most people will choose some variation on young and pretty, but I wouldn't say "almost no one". I couldn't play a GW2 human because I can't stand characters on a battlefield looking like they just stepped out of a fashion show.

I certainly wouldn't want them to axe any of the non-pretty Charr faces. I'm curious as to which ones you see as "borderline ugly". I see one vicious face, one battle-scarred face and one spiky face. The rest all resemble natural big cats, which I definitely wouldn't consider ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    I'll agree with you on the hair, but I think the complete opposite on the faces. Human and norn females have perhaps one face that does not look like a supermodel. The humans are particularly bad; there's one old and droopy face, and the rest are all completely flawless and pretty. There's no "young but rugged" option.

Yes, most people will choose some variation on young and pretty, but I wouldn't say "almost no one". I couldn't play a GW2 human because I can't stand characters on a battlefield looking like they just stepped out of a fashion show.

I certainly wouldn't want them to axe any of the non-pretty Charr faces. I'm curious as to which ones you see as "borderline ugly". I see one vicious face, one battle-scarred face and one spiky face. The rest all resemble natural big cats, which I definitely wouldn't consider ugly.
    Oh I'll agree that the Human & Norn character customisation's a bit... lacking and as such I won't be making a Norn or a Human character at all - I didn't say the face choices they had were good, just that they had more of them.

I wouldn't want any of the options axed but as personal preference theres only 2 there I would consider using... I would have liked them to have more than 8 face choices, as most of the other races had considerably more if I remember correctly - even if I personally dislike them more choices are good.

New account and all, I can't actually annotate the picture and repost it here, to show the ones I consider ugly. It's mainly a case of personal preference here - I don't like the spiky/tufty faces; some people love them:

| Pretty | Borderline Pretty | Ugly | Pretty |
    | Ugly |Borderline Ugly (although I like this one) | Borderline Pretty | Borderline Ugly (squinty eyes but otherwise a decent looking face) |

I'm so sad I'll never get the chance to play GW2. :c Damn you for not making a Mac version! ;~:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoator View Post
    nope, Alpha model wasnt playable, at least, not during Beta Test Phase. But you just need to see on WMV that hair color has his own customization tab, so that means that hair color wasnt tied to any other "customization tab" (fur patterns, for example).
    While she was never playable, there was a short window of time (a week? two? not sure) where she was selectable and customizable-- but when you went to play her, you either got transformed into a male or a cube.

Huh? I don't see any "ugly" faces. I see one that's more masculine/less feminine than most people would probably play.... but none are exactly "ugly". And you know, some people do play the "ugly" faces in WoW. So your point is moot. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option... the fact that it's there might attract some folks to the race who don't want a pretty kitty.

OI wouldn't want any of the options axed but as personal preference theres only 2 there I would consider using... I would have liked them to have more than 8 face choices, as most of the other races had considerably more if I remember correctly - even if I personally dislike them more choices are good.
    I'm sorry there aren't more options you like, but I personally love them and I am happy there is a good amount to choose from. There's cute, there's badass, there's predatory, there's ferocious, there's battle-scarred, matronly, and a couple that are fairly generic (neither overly feminine nor boldly aggressive).

I haven't personally played GW2 yet (waiting for the financial opportunity to potentially waste $50 on a game that may not play on my machine) but if what Cammancy said above is true with how much depth of customization there is, then does it really matter how many "base" faces they have, when you can tweak them to your heart's content?

Sig by Isilrien

I haven't personally played GW2 yet (waiting for the financial opportunity to potentially waste $50 on a game that may not play on my machine) but if what Cammancy said above is true with how much depth of customization there is, then does it really matter how many "base" faces they have, when you can tweak them to your heart's content?
    Eh, you can't really; the sliders are a bit weird. You can fiddle with the faces a tiny amount, make the eyes a bit bigger/smaller, ears and horns longer/shorter, etc, but nothing there really changes the base face design; I know it sounds insanely customisable with all those sliders but it's just not as good as it sounds; you'd probably have to try it out ingame to see what I mean.

It's a great system for tweaking a face that I already like, but it doesn't provide enough options to remove or change the parts of a base face that I dislike into one I like... if that makes sense.

Kinda heading wildly offtopic arguing opinions about Charr faces though.

My main point, was that the female Charr still have the 'Worgen effect' going on by having way less variations than the other races in GW2 (except maybe Asura) - they have 8 face choices (9 hair) - Humans have ~18 (23 hair), Norn ~13 (20 hair), Sylvari ~10 (12 hair) and Asura ~9 (9 hair).

I will give you they're nowhere near as bad as Blizzard with Worgen/Pandaren, but the fact that they offer more options than Blizzard is a bit deceptive, as they're still way more limited in their customisation than the other races.

It just would have been nice to see the non-human type races get a few more options - note, not removing any of the current options. I'll agree the Charr females are a vast improvement in comparison to the female Worgen (it would be hard to be worse); however, I think there's still room for some improvement.

15+ Year Old Account
    My main point, was that the female Charr still have the 'Worgen effect' going on by having way less variations than the other races in GW2 (except maybe Asura) - they have 8 face choices (9 hair) - Humans have ~18 (23 hair), Norn ~13 (20 hair), Sylvari ~10 (12 hair) and Asura ~9 (9 hair).

I will give you they're nowhere near as bad as Blizzard with Worgen/Pandaren, but the fact that they offer more options than Blizzard is a bit deceptive, as they're still way more limited in their customisation than the other races.

It just would have been nice to see the non-human type races get a few more options - note, not removing any of the current options. I'll agree the Charr females are a vast improvement in comparison to the female Worgen (it would be hard to be worse); however, I think there's still room for some improvement.
    That's more the "tauren effect" than the "worgen effect". They have distinct faces, just only a handful of them. And that's fine, in my humble opinion. Personally, I would rather have only a handful of distinct faces than two dozen ones that are same/very similar. Their beast face distinction is excellent, even if the pool is small.

Sig by Isilrien

New account and all, I can't actually annotate the picture and repost it here, to show the ones I consider ugly. It's mainly a case of personal preference here - I don't like the spiky/tufty faces; some people love them:

| Ugly |Borderline Ugly (although I like this one) | Borderline Pretty | Borderline Ugly (squinty eyes but otherwise a decent looking face) |
    I like the spiky face, but I'd be the first to say that it's ugly.

It's just that, IMO, it's appealingly so. If that makes sense. (Think of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi.)
    Last edited by Dacia Ultan; 2012-08-24 at 01:15 AM.

Sliders are your friend here. This is the same face with the eyes de-squinted, and I think it looks beautiful:
    http://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/...nal/976979.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    The old model looks like crap. Completely horrible. I'm glad they stuck with the new one.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    not reading 100 pages

but considering you spend 99% of your gametime looking at the back of your character then there isn't any point to put so much emphasis on things like mouth facial movements

also worgen do not exist irl so you can't say a female worgens muzzles would not look like that since it's fiction and they can be designed however the devs want.

i do agree generally though wow character creation choice is absolutely abysmal, alot of races have had the same facial choices since vanilla. tera character creation is 100 times better.
    Last edited by shadey81; 2012-08-24 at 03:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadey81 View Post
    not reading 100 pages

but considering you spend 99% of your gametime looking at the back of your character then there isn't any point to put so much emphasis on things like mouth facial movements

also worgen do not exist irl so you can't say a female worgens muzzles would not look like that since it's fiction and they can be designed however the devs want.

i do agree generally though wow character creation choice is absolutely abysmal, alot of races have had the same facial choices since vanilla. tera character creation is 100 times better.
    Because it's extremely important that my character has the correct eyebrow and chin height. An extremely detailed character creation is something that isn't needed. You said so yourself, you spend 99% of your game time looking at the back of your character. Why does having a bunch options for facial customization matter that much?

I sure as shit never pay attention to what anyone else's character looks like and half the time you have a helmet blocking your face anyways. I'd rather look through a couple pre-made faces, pick one, then start playing. Not spend 30+ minutes crafting the perfect look. It's completely pointless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Lolotea View Post
    I like the spiky face, but I'd be the first to say that it's ugly.

It's just that, IMO, it's appealingly so. If that makes sense. (Think of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi.)
    And that's why the face exists. Because of personal taste. I don't think that face is ugly (no, really!) Is she pretty? No. But not pretty does not mean "ugly". I would call her fierce, I would call her chiseled, I would call her perhaps even masculine or androgynous. But not ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunga View Post
    Because it's extremely important that my character has the correct eyebrow and chin height. An extremely detailed character creation is something that isn't needed. You said so yourself, you spend 99% of your game time looking at the back of your character. Why does having a bunch options for facial customization matter that much?

I sure as shit never pay attention to what anyone else's character looks like and half the time you have a helmet blocking your face anyways. I'd rather look through a couple pre-made faces, pick one, then start playing. Not spend 30+ minutes crafting the perfect look. It's completely pointless.
    To YOU. It's pointless to YOU. Some people enjoy creating characters and making them look just so.

And when a model is buggy, slapdash and just plain RUSHED? Then we have every right to call a spade a spade.

Sig by Isilrien

I actually spend more time role-playing and playing virtual Barbie on WoW than actually leveling toons, doing dungeons, and so on.

Also, RP realms wouldn't exist in WoW if there wasn't a sizable group of players who enjoy RP and dressing up their toons. Or Transmog.
    Last edited by Seyna Starstrider; 2012-08-24 at 04:43 AM.