Thread: Race Changing

10+ Year Old Account

Race Changing

A friend of mine who, well me and another pal rp a lot, he does it casually with his character. He plays an orc shaman, and told me today he wants to make his character into a tauren (to get invited into a friends guild who only accept tauren).
    The question I have is, how does it work in terms of changing a characters race around, is it meant to have a reason why he's changed, or is it just a case of ignoring the race before and pretends he's always been said race?
    #boycottchina

Just re-work the RP basic..Role players(most of them, me included) dislike when people race change just to get into a guild, but as long as the RP and such works fine, but it's a lot of work, because you have to write a new character info basic and history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A friend of mine who, well me and another pal rp a lot, he does it casually with his character. He plays an orc shaman, and told me today he wants to make his character into a tauren (to get invited into a friends guild who only accept tauren).
    The question I have is, how does it work in terms of changing a characters race around, is it meant to have a reason why he's changed, or is it just a case of ignoring the race before and pretends he's always been said race?
    Just say he pulled a Michael Jackson.

/terribleperson
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Just re-work the RP basic..Role players(most of them, me included) dislike when people race change just to get into a guild, but as long as the RP and such works fine, but it's a lot of work, because you have to write a new character info basic and history.
    thats what I was thinking. Well he isn't well known across our server, he is known by some, standing as a frostwolf ambassador for the tribe on kalimdor. So he would have to rewrite his history pretty much? Also, the guild he wishes to join, they already have seen him as his orc, so I don't know how that will be percieved.

---------- Post added 2012-03-19 at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Just say he pulled a Michael Jackson.

/terribleperson
    michael jackson turned from a black american singer to a 90 year old woman. An orc putting on 200 pounds of muscle, growing fur, a snout, tail, hooves and horns.. well thats something for the science labs to explan.
    #boycottchina

thats what I was thinking. Well he isn't well known across our server, he is known by some, standing as a frostwolf ambassador for the tribe on kalimdor. So he would have to rewrite his history pretty much? Also, the guild he wishes to join, they already have seen him as his orc, so I don't know how that will be percieved.
    He'd probalby have to redo the history, yeah. And explain it to the guild. The previous orc shaman would then drop off the radar, and they would meet this guy. At least, that's how I'd handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    He'd probalby have to redo the history, yeah. And explain it to the guild. The previous orc shaman would then drop off the radar, and they would meet this guy. At least, that's how I'd handle it.
    So really just writing the old character off. Its what I thought too, I think he considered everyone else around to just adapt to his character suddenly being something else, but rp rules do sit on something like this
    #boycottchina

So really just writing the old character off. Its what I thought too, I think he considered everyone else around to just adapt to his character suddenly being something else, but rp rules do sit on something like this
    Yeah. It's not exactly common for orcs to suddenly become tauren... unless they were in a brain-swapping experiment. Which is probably unlikely. And a rather lame cop-out, to boot, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Yeah. It's not exactly common for orcs to suddenly become tauren... unless they were in a brain-swapping experiment. Which is probably unlikely. And a rather lame cop-out, to boot, imo.
    Damn Goblins messing with peoples minds....wait what...

But yeah, I would say it would take a decent amount of retconning or just...well, starting from scratch, I gender changed one character at a point, but I wrote it off as a different character completely, mostly because I did want to change the character. Having a character suddenly go from one race to another...with the exception of perhaps a human/high elf becoming undead...it's kinda awkward RP wise.

The Orc Shaman dies, and this chaps comes along. Simple enough.

I would either retool the character's history to be race B instead of race A, or simply replace Character A with Character B.

Character A decides to retire/die/whatever, and not long after, Character B comes along with the expectations to fill some very large shoes (though in this particular case, it physically wouldn't be a problem.)

Maybe he drinks a magic potion...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Simple explanation:
    A Wizard Did It

Deleted
    I find this thread lol, made me laugh

it's just a lot of extra work in writing your backstory like Kharlii said.