GW2 Auction House

How does the Guild Wars 2 AH work? Is like mostly like WoW, or does it have another system, for example, Final Fantasy XI , where you make a bid and if someone put up an item for that price or less, you win.

Thanks

The marketplace is the Guild Wars 2 player trading system. It is global, enabling trade between players on different servers.[1] It can be used to sell and buy items without the need to find a buyer or seller first. While items can only be put up for sale when in-game, it is possible to browse, bid, or cancel auctions and offers when out of-game and logged into a web browser. A sale can be completed whilst the seller is offline, with the coin going into an account bank.[2]
    The marketplace is capable of displaying the history and trends of item values.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Market

Edit: I don't think it's clear in that wiki explanation but you can also put up requests on the marketplace (like EVE Online) and set a price in which you are willing to pay for that item. If someone sees it and has that item, they can sell it to you that way.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-03-19 at 12:55 AM.

The marketplace is capable of displaying the history and trends of item values.
    Interesting...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marketplace

Another thing I heard but isn't on the wiki is that you can put up an order for a certain item at a set price and a player can choose to fill that order.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be used to sell and buy items without the need to find a buyer or seller first.
    Does this mean it's kinda like in GW1 where i can sell my stack of X item to an npc and affect the market? Or is it i put X price and throw it up as an add and just wait?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I don't think there are any NPC buyers. You just put up your item for sale and wait for a player buyer. I don't know if there is a time limit for your sale items like there is in the AH in games such as WoW/SWTOR/Rift

Seems a lot like the Grand Exchange in Runescape to be honest. If you want to sell an item, you just add the offer to the AH, and if there is a request for the same item for the same price or higher, it will transfer the items and money instantly. Same vice versa. If you want a specific item, you make a request for that item and the highest price you'll pay, and it'll automatically search for an offer to meet the request. If there isn't one, you'll get queued with all the other similar requests and be filled when an acceptable offer is made.

I'm sure there is much more depth to it, but this seems to be the surface.

^

Sounds about right. It could be like EVE's market as well. One nice thing about it is that it is world wide, so it encompasses all servers into one marketplace.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    ^

Sounds about right. It could be like EVE's market as well. One nice thing about it is that it is world wide, so it encompasses all servers into one marketplace.
    indeed seems very good for market prices. No more wow-like scenario's when it comes to the AH on nearly empty servers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    ^

Didn't play Eve much longer after i learned you could only learn abilities from spending X amount of hours researching things, but i have heard amazing things from their market place, and if it's as good as i've heard, then i would love for it to be like EvEs!!

That and the world wide thing will be awesome!! It'd also help even out the prices, instead of having massive inflation on some AH's and poverty on others lol
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Here's a screenshot of the kind of thing u can see.
    Along with what everyone else has already said...we can see it's going to be an amazing system

And another:
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-03-19 at 03:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god Squirrelbanes.... that match highest buyer option will be my dream come true =D!!

Playing the AH will be so much more fun than in WoW. Account wide bank and buy orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    My god Squirrelbanes.... that match highest buyer option will be my dream come true =D!!
    I spent untold hours on the AH in wow, was at the gold cap throughout wotlk and had a bank toon with full guild bank that was chock full of goodies.
    I am going to destroy the marketplace in GW2

The wasy I've came to undersatand it is that it will work exactly like EVE's marketplace.
    You can put things in escrow for both buy and sales orders.
    No need to stay at your fav vendor refreshing an AH window to see if an item appears. Just make the order and if someone wants to fill it in they well.

I have to admit I chuckled... Anyhoo enough intellectual arrogance (I hate it in other people... but just cant help myself)...

Instead of saying its "like Eve" a more apt description would be "it functions like every other market in the world". That is: its a market, not an auction[house].

For those familer with markets (stock exchange etc) or Eve then the transition will be fairly easy; you should already know how buy orders and sell orders all work (even if you dont know the terminology).

If you are only know WoW/Ebay or other auctions then it might be a bit of a culture shock, but fret not; it's actually pretty easy:

Instead of sellers being the only ones putting up sell notices (referred to as an ask), buyers also put up notices or their intent to purchase (this is called a bid). I dont have time right now to continue, but google markets should start you off in the right direction.

ps: its waaaay better than an auction system /daytrade >

Quote Originally Posted by btu10 View Post
    snippidy
    Maybe that's why it's called The Marketplace
    /pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Maybe that's why it's called The Marketplace
    /pat.
    Haha, touche.

Anyhoo, continuing on... if anyones interested...

So you have this collection of buy orders and sell orders (the former will contain some amount of currancy, and the latter will contain goods). Now the difference between the highest price buy order and lowest price sell order for any one item is the spread.

Now Joe Player comes along with a sack of goodies; he has two options: Sell directly to the highest buy order (essentially "vending" his wares) or he can put up sell orders. Same applies to a buyer (lowest sell order/instant purchase vs putting up buy oders).

Now directly filling orders (easy option) is convienent, but you wont get the optimum price (which is some unknown point within the spread), where as placing orders into the market is slightly more costly in terms of time and potentially transaction costs, but you recieve a better price.

How much better your price is dependent on the size of the spread, which directly relates (but isnt the only thing) to peoples value on the effort required in listing and maintaining orders.

If done well with good balance between sinks (currency leaving the economy) and faucets (currency entering the economy) and lots of demand and supply for tradable items then there is no reason the economy cant match eve in terms of depth.

It would be awesome if this happened

It makes so much sense. No one uses "Auction Houses" in mmos as actual auction houses. Most people just use the "buy it now feature."
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Quote Originally Posted by btu10 View Post
    If done well with good balance between sinks (currency leaving the economy) and faucets (currency entering the economy) and lots of demand and supply for tradable items then there is no reason the economy cant match eve in terms of depth.

It would be awesome if this happened
    I agree, but I'm somewhat hesitant it'll happen that nicely given the constant uproar over any sort of gold sink and the hatred of any sort of grind that many GW2 fans seem to have.
    Last edited by Dacomp89; 2012-03-20 at 02:42 AM.