1. #1

    Monk Healing Style?

    Will it be a new alternative style of healing vs staring at health bars and casting individual heals?

    I'm hoping they fulfill what sounded like the original thought behind monk healing and flesh out the healing through attacks system.

    What do you expect/want to see from the monk healing style?

  2. #2
    I want to see DPSing while healing at the very least be completely optional or just go away completely. I don't understand why anyone is getting so excited about doing piddly amounts of damage while healing.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zavthefallen View Post
    Will it be a new alternative style of healing vs staring at health bars and casting individual heals?

    I'm hoping they fulfill what sounded like the original thought behind monk healing and flesh out the healing through attacks system.

    What do you expect/want to see from the monk healing style?
    In raiding content its probably about specyfic fight, personally really want to try melee'ing while healing

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,209
    The Monk healing style seems to be a nice mix between tank and raid healing. They will perhaps be the designated "melee" healers in 25 mans, but they seem to be perfectly viable in 10 mans.

    The "they can heal AND dps" seems to be overblown. Yes, they CAN dps, but we are talking about LOW dps; maybe half what everyone else is doing. When you are overgeared, you can probably do decent dps, but when you are getting geared up, the damage the healing monk can do is probably minimal at best.
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis) Aliyra 90 Mistweaver Monk (Korgath)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  5. #5
    They do have enough purely normal heals to be played as a standard healer. You can use that or spice it up with meleeing.

    In sum, it's awesome concept.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    I want to see DPSing while healing at the very least be completely optional or just go away completely. I don't understand why anyone is getting so excited about doing piddly amounts of damage while healing.
    Err, so we have another healer who plays the same as the others? I welcome a new healing style personally.

  7. #7
    Err, so we have another healer who plays the same as the others?
    I want what I do on my character to matter. DPSing as a healer doesn't matter. Its just something to do for people who get bored.

    You could say Atonement matters because it builds evangelism, and TC matters because it returns mana. Well, you could just as easily make, say, Penance or Binding Heal build evangelism stacks, and let, say, Riptide proc TC.

    You could also get more creative with healing. Making DPS talents for healers is just a creative cop-out. "we can't come up with anything new for healers, so we're just going to let them DPS."

    Also, sometimes (as mentioned by GC) Blizz does things "just to be different" and they don't tend to work out very well. Some things are the same because they're time tested. They work and are balanced. We shouldn't throw that out just for the sake of being (slightly) different.

    Here's a big one. Healing works in this game because it works at range, and because healers can choose their targets. Limiting a healer to melee range, for the sake of being different is not going to work out well. And no, statues won't fix it.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-03-19 at 01:32 PM.

  8. #8
    I think that op ment that you concentrate on dpsing and totally dont care about healing who/howmuch/when, which is quite apealing to me aswell. The healing will just happen you want it or not. The fact you wont be needing to stare at bars and whack a moul is really refreshing, imho.
    If such healing style will happen and will be viable, im rerolling the very same day.

  9. #9
    I think you will be able to get away with just ignoring health bars and attacking to heal, however I think it won't be as efficient as possible. My guess would be that it works fine for LFR/Normal raids, but probably wouldn't fully work for heroics.

    I am excited for a couple of the skills including Chi Bind, Revival, and Renewing Mist.

    A couple questions I have though are:
    How long will Revival last?
    Do Cherry Mana Tea stacks have a time limit? Otherwise I can see Monk Healers depleting all mana via Jasmine Force Tea (repeatedly casting) and then turning the Chi into Cherry Mana Tea stacks, then drinking water to get full mana pre-combat. That way you can enter each raid fight with 50 stacks and have mana not be a major worry during the fight.
    What is a Solace Sphere? I noticed other spheres in the skills list but no Solace Sphere.
    Will Surging Mist end a Soothing Mist channel? Or will it be like a skill that is off the GCD and not affect the channel.
    Last edited by freernnur5; 2012-03-19 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added another question

  10. #10
    The fact you wont be needing to stare at bars and whack a moul is really refreshing, imho.
    This just is never going to happen. Too much depends on healers paying attention to the raid. Random damage can get a player low. A player can randomly miss a mechanic, or be out of melee range. Dispels will always be part of the healing game, especially in PVP, and they require you to be looking at the bars. Blizz has added some mechanics, such as ground AOE, that get your head out of the bars a little bit, and that is fine. But when you get down to it, healing is (and will always be) about bars.

    If you don't like looking at the bars, you need to not be healing.

  11. #11
    Well its definitely doing to be different.

    Soothing mists->surging mists sounds like a strong tank heal combo.
    Though i don't think Soothing mists will ever proc Chi. 7.33 sec channel (before haste) without overhealing?...doubtful. I'm sure someone will snipe you before you finish the cast. And if they don't, 25% seems like a low chance.

    Renewing Mists-> Uplift seems like an interesting bouncing aoe hot. (can toss in a Thunder before Uplift for 100% bonus on higher damage phases)

    I'm a little concerned about Expel Harm being potentially overpowered. Teachings of the Monastery (LVL 72) removes the CD, so now you have an instant, large heal with no CD (and casting it twice makes your Surging Heal instant).

    Unless the mana cost is prohibitive, i see little to stop Expel Harm being used a lot (if it's damage effect triggers healing from the jade statues its even more powerful)

    The baseline ability Healing Sphere, see's little interaction with the other abilities, but i wondered if it has a targeting reticule for placement...if it does, that could be annoying, and may not see much use as we get a lot of other heal options.

    Will definitely take getting used to meleeing for Chi for your aoe heals (Wave, Kick, and Upflit(refresh of aoe hot)) + the 2 jade statues healing (better version of lightwell - ouch priests, ouch)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Well its definitely doing to be different.

    Soothing mists->surging mists sounds like a strong tank heal combo.
    Though i don't think Soothing mists will ever proc Chi. 7.33 sec channel (before haste) without overhealing?...doubtful. I'm sure someone will snipe you before you finish the cast. And if they don't, 25% seems like a low chance.
    Hmm.. I took it to mean if it completes the duration. You could be/probably are right though. Also IIRC haste is irrelevent on the length of a channel duration, haste only increases the number of ticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    I'm a little concerned about Expel Harm being potentially overpowered. Teachings of the Monastery (LVL 72) removes the CD, so now you have an instant, large heal with no CD (and casting it twice makes your Surging Heal instant).

    Unless the mana cost is prohibitive, i see little to stop Expel Harm being used a lot (if it's damage effect triggers healing from the jade statues its even more powerful)
    Expel Harm definitely looks like a strong ability, but it does require you to be in melee range, so might be a little tricky to use at times.
    Last edited by Tyratops; 2012-03-19 at 03:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyratops View Post
    Hmm.. I took it to mean if it completes the duration. You could be/probably are right though. Also IIRC haste is irrelevent on the length of a channel duration, haste only increases the number of ticks.
    Most channeled spells have their cast time reduced and do not gain more ticks (not all, but most) - For example Tranquility gets 5 heals off, more haste does not increase that number, it just makes the channel faster (it does make more hot ticks though) - Divine Hymn is the only outlier i can think of that actually gains more heal ticks. Mind Flay and Penance (single target channels) do not gain more ticks, they just channel faster, so my money is that it will behave that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyratops View Post
    Expel Harm definitely looks like a strong ability, but it does require you to be in melee range, so might be a little tricky to use at times.
    - Since the monk will often be in melee range of the boss (to generate chi from the melee abilities) - being in range of a melee dps or the tank to abuse Expel Harm should not be hard at all (again the only limit i can see possibly is mana cost)

  14. #14
    The main thing that stuck out to me was a kind of "rejuv blanketing" like WotLK druids were doing comes back. Check these 2 out:

    Renewing Mist (LVL 42)
    400 Mana, 40 yard range, Instant Cast
    Requires Serpent Stance
    You surround the target with healing mists, restoring 1,406 health every 0.92 for 10.08 seconds to up to 3 friendly targets within 8 yards.
    Renewing Mist travels from friendly target to target when it heals, up to $n times.

    Uplift (LVL 62)
    2 Chi, Instant
    Requires Serpent Stance
    Instantly refreshes the duration of all of your Renewing Mist periodic effects on allies, and heals them for 3,304.

    So as long as you can cast Uplift every 10 seconds, you can spam Renewing Mists onto the whole raid and then just hit Uplift before the hots fall off to refresh all of them.

    This made me think of a healing style where you have a bit of rampup time for the first 30 seconds of an encounter getting everything up, and then you just make sure that you have 2 chi every 10 seconds to refresh your hots on everyone for massive AoE healing.


    I was honestly disappointed that there were still spammable and targetable heals like there are, but will hold off judgement until I can see how it actually plays out in the end.

  15. #15
    I do think Expel looks like a strong ability on paper and I know we're primarily going to be in melee range of the boss, but in melee range of the Tank? Going to be a bit fidgity to use I think, considering movement mechanics and all the rest of it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyratops View Post
    I do think Expel looks like a strong ability on paper and I know we're primarily going to be in melee range of the boss, but in melee range of the Tank? Going to be a bit fidgity to use I think, considering movement mechanics and all the rest of it.
    Depends on the instance - look at DS - you could be in melee range of the tank on most of the fights - and if not, there are always melee dps to be healed - lord know rogues always seem find themselves burning in agony...least ours does, grrr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •