View Poll Results: How popular will Guild Wars 2 be?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm gearing up to preorder

    98 74.81%
  • Im ready for release day

    22 16.79%
  • Ive moderately interested

    8 6.11%
  • No want for this at all.

    3 2.29%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How popular is Guild Wars 2?

    Odd question to ask really, and I had a quick search, there wasnt anyhting that came up asking it.

    Given all the inforation thats cone out over the last few months, ive gotten rediculously hooked to the idea of GW2 and,lthough never playing the orginal or beta for this one, am determined to sign up for the preorder, and whap out the money to buy myself a new pc.

    Should I really be this excited? hmmm


    But my biggest gripe is the same one I had with SWTOR. SWTOR was a good game dont get me wrong, and too many people judged it on its first (unpolished and buggy) months, but then they all left. It was the leaving that killed that game, and my worry is that it'll be the no show that will kill this.

    *snip*

    No, you don't dare say it. Please keep "wow killler" discussion out of these forums. It always ends in tears. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-19 at 05:06 PM.
    Where I come from, fag means cigarette.

  2. #2
    What's good about Guild Wars 2 is that upset people can't unsub, because there's no sub. So "leaving" the game isn't as big a deal as it is with WoW or TOR.

    And, as for "how popular GW2 is", they got 1million beta sign ups in 2 days. That should be quite indicative of its popularity.

    And I really don't think anyone wants it to be a WoW killer. We just want a fun game.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar View Post
    It was the leaving that killed that game, and my worry is that it'll be the no show that will kill this.
    A game isn't dead until it is no longer profitable and the servers for it are shut down.


    That said, I don't think it will be for everyone, but I also don't feel that it will be a niche game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  4. #4
    SWTOR was only half finished when it came out (EA pushing it out for christmas). Arenanet specifically said they are working hard that GW2 will be finished / polished when it comes out.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Shadzta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    659
    you dared to say it...threads over...the moment you say wow killer your pigeonholing the game into the same catergorie of MMO that wow is...it will co-exist along side wow as an alternative MMO. Thats my opinion anyway
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    www.youtube.com/user/Thraxgaming

  6. #6
    There's no sub, as mentioned, so it can't have that problem of leaving and not coming back because the game sucks - you simply log back in to check it out without having to make a decision to pay again. This is a big one.

    Plus, it looks like a great MMO. So great Blizzard is copying a ton of ideas for MoP and acting like they had them all along.

  7. #7
    Imma just gonna play it...hoping lots of others do.
    It prob won't kill wow...wow's it's own special snowflake entity.
    But it will almost certainly be very popular because of it's features. It has the potential to become the industry standard...we'll just have to see.

  8. #8
    Guild Wars 2 is a game on it's own. It is not a "WoW killer" as much as I would want that game to end it's money grabbing charade.

    I may be kidding myself here but I sincerely hope people can find that GW2 will be great just because it's GW2.
    Yes that is Spider-Man crying over a box of Uncle Ben's rice.

  9. #9
    The one thing I want to say is to the people that will start popping in saying the hype will kill the game like it's "killed" previous games and why you can't compare this game to previous MMOs...

    People say the hype killed SWTOR, or Rift, but I think people just expected too much out of a game that was too similar to WoW. They were for w/e reason expecting something new, but instead they got a very similar game that offered a very similar leveling experience and end game. The only thing new Rift offered at release was its Rifts, and the only thing new in SWTOR was the cinematic story telling, both of which got fairly annoying to some people.

    Guild Wars 2 offers such a different experience, that if you're looking for something new then you're going to get exactly that. It may have elements of games we've seen before, but we've never seen them brought together in 1 game like this, and there's a lot of things that they've evolved and taken to another level, or they just simply got rid of it.

    You can't even compare the current big 3 MMOs (WoW/Rift/SWTOR) to GW2 because of how different it is. Either you're going to enjoy it, probably mostly because you're looking for something new, or you're just not interested in GW2 because of how different it is.

  10. #10
    If TOR wa b2p I would come back to check things out even though the start was a bumpy one. It's not b2p however.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If TOR wa b2p I would come back to check things out even though the start was a bumpy one. It's not b2p however.
    Same. I have been tempted a few times to resub just to look around, but I don't wanna take that step. If I ever felt this way with GW2 (which I hope not, but it's possible), I would be able to log into GW2 whenever I want, without having to resub, and see if they fixed the game from whatever problems it had.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  12. #12
    Probably the wrong forum for an unbiased opinion. I've got $60 put back for April 10th to pre-purchase, so I'm ready.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Same. I have been tempted a few times to resub just to look around, but I don't wanna take that step. If I ever felt this way with GW2 (which I hope not, but it's possible), I would be able to log into GW2 whenever I want, without having to resub, and see if they fixed the game from whatever problems it had.
    Yeah ... I have mentioned it before, but the subscription based model makes you pay butload of money and when you refuse to pay more they just deny you access to everything you have paid for till then. Very unjust model for players to participate in.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    I didn't bother to buy SWTOR because during the beta I remember myself thinking "I feel like I'm playing wow with updated graphics."

    I've never really been a SW fan anyway. But like others have suggested GW2 has no subs, if people buy the game and leave it wont matter. I'm betting even if it had a sub it would be quite successful.

    As for the wow killer comment: Do I think GW2 is going to come in and steal wows player base? No. But I think if GW2 is as good as it looks it has the ability to indirectly kill wow by changing the mmo genre in a very big way. Gw2 may not be the game to do it, but eventually the genre will shift, and wow wont be able to keep up. It wont be the industry standard forever.

  15. #15
    Just waiting for my paycheck to preorder.I be playing Wow for some mindless pve and guilds wars 2/rift for pvp.For Some reason i dont enjoy pvp in Wow at all and i have been playing since 2005.I thought i didnt like pvp but i just have so much fun healing with my warden in pvp in rift.Hopefully gw2 will be the same.

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,209
    I'm so absolutely amazingly stoked for Guild Wars 2. It's the one game I've really really wanted in YEARS. I haven't wanted a game this much in such a long time. I'm gonna upgrade my PC for this game. I'm gonna pre-order the instant it opens. And I'm going to play the shit out of every beta day and work hard to help improve the game.
    I'm a fanboy so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I think that GW2 will make a massive dent in all the competition. There really is NO reason not to get it, since there's no subscription.

  17. #17
    The last game I've been so hyped for was Warhammer... I sure hope GW2 ain't a warhammer 2 as that game had fail all over it ;/

    I have good hope though. I like everything ANet says, and also that it's done when it's done instead of pushing the game out as soon as possible to get cash.

    GW2 is not a WoW killer, WoW is simply too powerful for that. I don't want GW2 to kill WoW either, as they are not exactly the same game.
    Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 - CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz - CPU Cooler: Zulaman CNPS10X Performa with 2 coolers -Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H - Memory: 2x Corsair 4 GB DDR3 - GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X - Monitor 1: Asus VE247H- Monitor 2: Acer X243W
    PlayStation 4 Username: Blattardos - games: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - BF4 - Infamous Second Son - The Last Of Us Remastered

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    I don't think it'll e a wow killer, maybe a mailer or wounded pending on how many people migrate from wow and unsub from it. I certainly am psyched for the game to come out!! Got into the first one a bit late though so I hope it stays fairly populated post release...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  19. #19
    This is kind of a silly thread.

    As for your concern OP; remember that 1- there is no subscription and 2- ANet allows you to move servers.

    1- I play TOR. As soon as my sub ends, I'm done. It's not that the game is horrible. It's just that I can't justify $15 a month on the thing. In 4 months, I could get a brand new game for that much money. When I look at the content, I just can't justify that. If it were B2P , I'd still play it even while I had GW2. Aion is going F2P; and those that purchased the game can do most things in game. I will probably play it for a bit because it won't cost me anything. It's far easier to justify continued play in a game when it costs you nothing to do it.

    2- Yes, the population will probably drop. All game populations drop over time. However, they have extremely flexible servers. You can already immediately be a guest in another server to do anything PVE. If there are big PVP issues, then it is time to transfer (again, not hard).

    The concept of a "wow-killer" is really just hype from people that don't understand human psychology. Part of me wants GW2 to kill Rift, Aion, Wow, etc. However, do I really want the games to just die and companies to go bankrupt? No. People just hope that a game can have such a hit on subs that the other games will improve. That's really what they want. Most don't really want a game that just makes WoW cease to exist. I desperately want GW2 to hit TOR so that they go B2P and so that they make a dynamic world with real pvp. I don't want it to completely get rid of SW:TOR. I want it to make them better. The same is true of all the other MMOs. Honestly, GW2 has a higher likelihood of making them change than any other MMO. That is encouraging to me. Now, will it truly take enough subs to make those changes happen? I don't know; but I desperately hope so.
    "Some flies are too awesome for the wall." - Community

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I didn't bother to buy SWTOR because during the beta I remember myself thinking "I feel like I'm playing wow with updated graphics."
    Just barely.. considering they didn't even to bother add high res textures >_>.

    GW2 will not kill WoW. Only Blizz can do that, but still Anet is going to take quite a chunk from WoW's playerbase. Not to mention the crowds disappointed from Diablo 3...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •