Thread: Tank Monk Combo

Tank Monk Combo

Wow when i saw this, i thought that cant last. Look at this combo:

Recoil (LVL 56) Whenever you dodge, you gain 5 Chi.

Elusive Ale (LVL 34)
    1 Chi, Instant, 45 sec cooldown Requires Ox Stance
    Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 50% for 45 seconds.

Guard (LVL 26)
    3 Chi, Instant Requires Ox Stance
    You guard against future attacks, absorbing 38,478 damage (scales with mastery) for 8 seconds.
    Any heals you apply to yourself while guarding are increased by 30%.

So you can keep up Elusive Ale, all the time. +50% dodge
    50% dodge chance+dodge from gear and agility means you'll have a very high dodge chance.
    Which means Recoil procs a lot getting you back to 5 Chi.
    Spend 3 Chi to Activate Guard. Large absorb shield for 8 secs

Meaning you could prolly keep Guard up all the time. If they stack (most likely), depending on how much you dodge, you could build a very large shield. If they don't stack, you can still likely cast one every 8 secs.

I guess its balanced in a way similar to a DK shield, but if it stacks, a string of dodges could yield a huge shield. And with 50%+agi and dodge from gear that may not be so uncommon. Possibly OP? We'll see.

I read this as well, my first reaction was but you only have 4chi(5 talented) that makes recoil stupidly powerful, I think there was an error, back at blizcon there were 3 resources. Chi(a fast regening resource), light force, and dark force. Since then they have merged light and dark force into one, then renamed it to chi, and name the old chi, energy. That is kinda confusing but in the end I believe recoil is gonna regen 5 energy not chi

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    That is kinda confusing but in the end I believe recoil is gonna regen 5 energy not chi
    Ah that would be far less powerful, and makes some sense considering the resource shuffle. Darn... - guess we'll have to wait for some Beta access to confirm. (Or an official update)

i agree. there are many confusions in the spell names that we sometimes dont know if they're referring to the new energy or the new chi

TBH I think Elusive Ale has to have a typo there somewhere, because if not why not just bake the 50% dodge into the tanking stance?

Quote Originally Posted by freernnur5 View Post
    TBH I think Elusive Ale has to have a typo there somewhere, because if not why not just bake the 50% dodge into the tanking stance?
    Because they probably spent some time making a "cool" animation of tanking a drink and swaying and they want you to see it every 45 sec...

In all seriousness, I dunno. It does seem rather odd to have something like that, its not very engaging...it just a button you push every 45 secs and consume 1 resource. (i guess making sure you have the 1 chi available is supposed to be "engaging")

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Because they probably spent some time making a "cool" animation of tanking a drink and swaying and they want you to see it every 45 sec...

In all seriousness, I dunno. It does seem rather odd to have something like that, its not very engaging...it just a button you push every 45 secs and consume 1 resource. (i guess making sure you have the 1 chi available is supposed to be "engaging")
    I am fine with a 45 second cooldown because it gives them something to use in case of big possible incoming damage. But to have it last 45 seconds is just stupid and takes away any thinking of when to activate it.

right, its like a less interesting version of Bone Shield, precisely because it lasts as long as its CD, its like a passive buff that you have to manage instead, so its just annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally do not think it is that powerful. Monks will be wearing Leather, so they loose about 30% physical damage reduction just by wearing leather. 20% of this is covered by the stance, but that is still 10% more. This, of course, is countered by Stagger and the insanely high avoidance- However, Monks will still be the "squishiest" of all tanks. If stagger works akin to how Block is gonna work, Itll be like this- Monk gets attacked, the attack has around an 80% chance to be dodged (30% from gear +50% from the buff). If the RNG fails here, then the monk will have a 25% effect to stagger, more if they are doing the shuffle. If they fail the shuffle, then the monk takes 100% of the damage, which is 10% more then the other tanks. Should RNG fail twice in a row, being able to have that shield can certainly save the monk tank from getting 2 shot- Monks do not seem to have any Stamina bonus compared to the other tanks.

Finally, the other tanking classes have a much higher amount of mitigation. Druid tanks have an innate 25% magic reduction, and can probably hit the 75% armor cap at higher gear lvls. They also have a 40% phys damage reduction that last for 6 seconds, and a heal that heals 5% hp per 10 rage per second for 6 seconds. Warriors are also in a similar place, with significantly better self-healing options via talents, the ability to reduce incming magical damage, and a decent blocking ability (Of course, it seems that Warriors will be unable to ever cap CTC, and may be hovering around 40% crit block chance). Paladins are in a similar situation, as they can pick up decent self healing abilities through talents, and have similar blocking components. Death Knights seem to be about the same, but good Death Knights are extremely powerful compared to now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

First thing i thougt : "placeholder"

Seriously its redonculous, its not possible. Some numbers are off, or Recoil has a 45 second CD, or something. But these numbers can not be true in their actual form.

My guess is the duration is much lower. Say 15 seconds?

Edit: in ref. to Elusive Ale

I could see a 20 second duration with a 20 second cooldown, or 30/30 even. But this basically is what I was thinking. The druid's Savage Defense ability was what I imidiately thought of as a similar ability to this. Elusive Ale just seems to be the better end of the deal in that it only needs to be mashed every 45 seconds opposed to every 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    They[druids] also have a 40% phys damage reduction that last for 6 seconds, and a heal that heals 5% hp per 10 rage per second for 6 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Deleted
    There's no way they're going to make monks into dodge tanks with low armor/mitigation. If they are, that'll be one of the things to get changed before it goes live. They should already know from the past that it's a bad idea, and will never work balance wise.

In the end there will be enough differences to give a unique monk flavor to tanking, but it won't be as radically different from the existing tanks as some of these talents suggest. A lot of other skills and talents will change too of course, probably many times before they're even close to being done.

Brewmasters are modeled after Drunken Boxing, at least that's what I gathered.
    The postures are created by momentum and weight of the body, and imitation is generally through staggering and certain type of fluidity in the movements.
    How else can a monk tank if not a dodge tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Elusive Ale increases your dodge chance by 50% from your current dodge %. Monks could have low dodge. Something like 10-15% dodge amplified by Elusive Ale would make sense.

high dodge chance fits brewmaster from w3 perfectly

how i see it:

Normal tank gets hit for x dmg every y seconds.

Brewmaster tank gets hit for 2x dmg every 2y seconds.

Stagger is on the same roll as miss/dodge/parry. So basically you stagger every hit smoothing it back to

x dmg every y seconds.
    Last edited by ihaz; 2012-03-19 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    I personally do not think it is that powerful. Monks will be wearing Leather, so they loose about 30% physical damage reduction just by wearing leather. 20% of this is covered by the stance, but that is still 10% more. This, of course, is countered by Stagger and the insanely high avoidance- However, Monks will still be the "squishiest" of all tanks. If stagger works akin to how Block is gonna work, Itll be like this- Monk gets attacked, the attack has around an 80% chance to be dodged (30% from gear +50% from the buff). If the RNG fails here, then the monk will have a 25% effect to stagger, more if they are doing the shuffle. If they fail the shuffle, then the monk takes 100% of the damage, which is 10% more then the other tanks. Should RNG fail twice in a row, being able to have that shield can certainly save the monk tank from getting 2 shot- Monks do not seem to have any Stamina bonus compared to the other tanks.

Finally, the other tanking classes have a much higher amount of mitigation. Druid tanks have an innate 25% magic reduction, and can probably hit the 75% armor cap at higher gear lvls. They also have a 40% phys damage reduction that last for 6 seconds, and a heal that heals 5% hp per 10 rage per second for 6 seconds. Warriors are also in a similar place, with significantly better self-healing options via talents, the ability to reduce incming magical damage, and a decent blocking ability (Of course, it seems that Warriors will be unable to ever cap CTC, and may be hovering around 40% crit block chance). Paladins are in a similar situation, as they can pick up decent self healing abilities through talents, and have similar blocking components. Death Knights seem to be about the same, but good Death Knights are extremely powerful compared to now.
    For one you completely forget the guard ability that any smart tank would activate after receiving 100% of the damage. Second this 10% is not as bad as you make it out to be especially considering the low possibility of it happening twice in a row. Third you haven't even taken into account health pools and the size of the hit. After the standard reductions these hits are that huge and most healers can heal a lot of the damage away right after before the next. DKs have also have this random RNG element in which they can get owned as well and furthermore the same can be applied to any tank if everything goes past their numerous way to reduce damage. Overall i think you will see that they are OP tanks right out of the starting gate.