10+ Year Old Account

Learning a new language (Danish) - need help

Hello to all that bother reading this.

So, 2-3 years ago I decided I wanted to study/live in Denmark once I'm done here in Belgium with highschool.
    In 5 months, I can finally do this.
    Everything for the school, living (with my boyfriend there) is all fixed already.
    Only thing really stuck in my head is the fact I don't know a word Danish.
    (Going to international school, so for that it's not the real problem)

My question to you all is,
    does anyone have any tricks/tips how to learn a new language?
    I speak Dutch myself, bit of French, and rather good English, if that's any help.

I don't have anything close-by (or it's 2 hour drive) to go learn the language.
    My boyfriend isn't really of a help, and neither are my Danish friends.
    I asked like 1 billion times already, but they're always too busy.

I'd appreciate real help since it's bothering me really.
    Thanks in advance!

Renegade Legion is recruiting! PM for more information!

Deleted
    I would say the best way is to speak it a lot and just throw yourself in it (as with most languages). As its been a while since i learned it (about 24 years ago when i was born ), i dont exactly know how it is to learn danish, but i have heard that it is not that easy. Especially our number system gives about zero meaning when you think about it. My cousin is born and raised in germany, but speaks danish pretty well, and i think the numbers are his biggest problem, above 50 or so at least.

I do not know of any online place to learn it, but i guess that would be a way to get into it a little bit, learn some phrases and simple grammar. If your danish friends could help you that would probably be the best bet. Or start by learning a bit for yourself and then speak it with them...

Lots of words sound similar in dutch and danish so thats prolly a help

Try listening to a lot of danish music - preferably something which has subtitles - the more you listen to it the more sense it makes

Deleted
    Hey. Im Danish my self and on my work we have alot of polish ppl.

The way they learn to speak Danish atm is they learn 1-2 words per day and thats really it.
    After few weeks you can easy learn to make sentence that ppl will understand.

PS. Dont QQ if it is hard to say æ ø or å for you.

GL with it

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I learn how to speak English language I've spend a lot of time with my cousins who dont speak any Polish. Every weekend, and every times I could. I also found a girlfriend who only speaks English (not like my friends who got girlfriends who speak Polish and some English and now they all speak ummm can't say it's English). Just use it a lot and this way you learn, try to meet some people or make some friends who speaks the language you want to learn, talk to them even if it sucks and they laugh at you (technically they laugh at the way you say the words or make them sound funny).

Well you sure set your goals high =) The majority of people in Denmark aren't capable of speaking it correctly.
    I wouldn't start to over think it, just start your study and seize every opportunity you get to have a danish conversation. Anyone ages 30 or lower should easily be able to help you in English if you fail to get it through in danish.
    Off course you'r going to have to start somewhere, so do a round in your apartment and learn what the different things are called in Danish do this with the stuff in your refrigerator too.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have any great tips for learning to speak danish, but i suggest you check out this site. http://laerdansk.dk/en/general/
    I know a lot of exchange students that use this, and I think it might be of some help to you too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot for the answers I already got!
    What I know I'm going to do is putting notes on everything with the Danish and the Dutch word on it.
    But I can only do that when I visit my boyfriend in 3 weeks.

@Chronius
    I know I set my goals high, but the major problem is my boyfriend's friends. They can't talk English (or not all of them atleast), and it's rather annoying to just sit there and listen to a language you don't understand at all ;p

Renegade Legion is recruiting! PM for more information!