Poll: Well?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    well it's proven that aliens have visited earth. couple years ago a meteorite struck earth and when scientist went and picked it up, there were tiny microbes on it..

dr tyson was there when they said that it was "too small" to be considered life and disagreed with the biologist because it indeed was life. oh and it was alien

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I remember some article talking about a meteor that had some bacteria on it(not 100% sure). So if it was correct I would count that as an alien.
    Quote Originally Posted by StixRam View Post
    well it's proven that aliens have visited earth. couple years ago a meteorite struck earth and when scientist went and picked it up, there were tiny microbes on it..

dr tyson was there when they said that it was "too small" to be considered life and disagreed with the biologist because it indeed was life. oh and it was alien
    You beat me too it...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The universe is infinate with an infinate amount of possibilities and an infinate amount of multi-verses other dimensions, but watch Ancient Aliens and yuo shall see!

Also this is a personal note to anyone that voted Aliens are not real. Answer me this can you honestly say that in a universe thats believed to go on forever and ever that not one other humanoid race exists out there? Theres billions of planets that humans can live in based on the Drake equation and also thats human life what if I live by breathing in CO2? Anything is possible keep an open mind folks!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Drake equation is all about possibility, it leaves out all the factors that define probability of usefulness of it's results. There is a high possibility that there are planets that humans can live on out there. There is not a high probability that any of them are within a reasonable range of us. There is a high possibility of life of some sort out there. There is not a high probability that any of them are close enough that we'll ever come into contact with them.

(Oh, and the universe is not infinite, and the number of proven multi-verses currently stands at 0. The possibilities are NOT infinite to the best of our current knowledge, so the argument that even an almost nonexistent chance of something happening means that it WILL happen somewhere is not true.)

Its possible, sure. But the technology required to travel the vast distances between habitable planets it ridiculously far away, and the time needed to travel between planets once you have the technology to travel at the speed of light is still hundreds of years. So basically, while it may be possible, its incredibly unlikely. Its quite likely this will be a lonely world for the duration of humanity.

Moving around with sufficient speed would probably be possible by warp technology. As far as I understand, it is actually possible ... in theory. I even happened to read a _real_ study about it...or more like why it is somewhat hard to actually work, if such technology is ever developed. The study about it talked how warping would pick up particles from space (since space isnt completely empty) and the particles start gaining massive amount of energy while stuck in the warping. So...once you try to stop, those particles are released and would obliterate everything nearby.

I don't personally have an opinion about this question "have aliens visited earth?", but if certain problems about the traveling in space are solved, I don't say "impossible". Honestly, better question is that, while theoretically possible, is it really possible to create fast enough traveling method. If we found proof of alien visitation, then we might also have a proof that such technology is indeed possible.

After reading about extremophiles and how resilient they are it certainly seems more believable.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warp travel isn't about going really fast, actually, it's about manipulating space-time so that the distance is shorter. We kinda know how we could warp space-time, the technology isn't there at the moment but the theories are... the biggest problem is that we have no clue how we would keep a ship or a person safe in the middle of it all. A giant gravity well warps space-time well enough, but isn't exactly the most user-friendly of things to mess around with.

And the worst part? We don't really understand how gravity works all that well. There are theories that suggest the existance of a carrier particle (the gravitron), and if that is correct then gravity's effects would cap out at the speed of light... meaning that a gravity based warp drive would be able to get you really fast, but still sub-light speed, which still simply isn't fast enough for manned extra-solar exploration. And unfortunately we have yet to prove that anything can beat that speed limit, though the CERN OPERA experiments are currently going through a whole lot of retesting after they may (or may not) have clocked FTL neutrinos.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    The Egyptians were as smart as civilization is now, in fact I think they were even smarter than us. The fact that they could build the pyramids with what they had available is nothing short of incredible. And the fact that they could shape and stack these blocks hundreds of feet high to the point where not even a piece of paper can fit between them, again is nothing short of incredible. Makes you wonder if aliens helped them or something because any way you look at it, it's pretty insane what they could do.
    Wow, they put some stones on top of each other. Clearly smarter than we are nowadays.

I mean it must be harder than all the electronics we discovered so far, building computers, making atoms visible, nano technology, LHC etc etc. They must be way smarter than we are. They put rocks on each other ! Must have been helped by aliens !

/facepalm
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Very, very unlikely. We simply lack solid evidence for their existence. We've looked around nearby galaxies and still haven't found any planets with life on them (and intelligent life would be particularly easy to spot..)

Why would intelligent life be particularly easy to spot?

Because we can get clear pictures of earth from a satellite orbiting earth?

You do know we don't have satellites in other galaxies, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    The universe is infinate with an infinate amount of possibilities and an infinate amount of multi-verses other dimensions, but watch Ancient Aliens and yuo shall see!

Also this is a personal note to anyone that voted Aliens are not real. Answer me this can you honestly say that in a universe thats believed to go on forever and ever that not one other humanoid race exists out there? Theres billions of planets that humans can live in based on the Drake equation and also thats human life what if I live by breathing in CO2? Anything is possible keep an open mind folks!
    Problem: the Universe is not necessarily infinite, actually, the chance is high that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by StixRam View Post

care to back that up...?

If you are gonna link that picture of a rock with small "worm"-like formations, then dont bother - that one was debunked long time ago

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariavo View Post
    Problem: the Universe is not necessarily infinite, actually, the chance is high that it isn't.
    Even if finite, still super duper huge.

I think it is naive to think we are alone. I do not expect other humanoids, but there is way too much out there to think we are the only planet with sentient life.
    I like sandwiches

It doesnt matter, if universe is infinite or finite. There is set amount of energy. If universe is infinite there is still finite amount of matter floating about.

Anyway, that amount of matter is probably enough to create enough starts, planets and other stuff that there exists life somewhere else than earth. How advanced it is, I can't say, but it is likely it at least exists. Point of this thread is that have they visited earth? I can't say that either. I'm just saying its possible IF there is possible solution to the traveling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Even if finite, still super duper huge.

I think it is naive to think we are alone. I do not expect other humanoids, but there is way too much out there to think we are the only planet with sentient life.
    Of course, it's naive to think that, I agree. But if the Universe would be infinite (hypothetically speaking), there would be other life, yes, even life as we know it, since the Universe would be infinite. Infinite is a big word. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill believe there are Aliens when they come and tear the earth open looking for goodies.

There is a 2% difference in our DNA when compared to a chimpanzee. We cannot communicate with the chimpanzee. What makes you think we could communicate and understand an alien race if ever confronted by one?

We should be happy that aliens dont come to this planet. They would take one look at how the politicians run things and instantly decide to remove our planet from the cosmos. We would look like a planetary virus to them, and there is only one way to cure a virus.. .. Kill the host.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ill believe there are Aliens when they come and tear the earth open looking for goodies.

There is a 2% difference in our DNA when compared to a chimpanzee. We cannot communicate with the chimpanzee. What makes you think we could communicate and understand an alien race if ever confronted by one?

We should be happy that aliens dont come to this planet. They would take one look at how the politicians run things and instantly decide to remove our planet from the cosmos. We would look like a planetary virus to them, and there is only one way to cure a virus.. .. Kill the host.
    Nothing cooler than saying aliens don't exist, then saying if they do they will be immune to corruption and idiocy within their species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Nothing cooler than saying aliens don't exist, then saying if they do they will be immune to corruption and idiocy within their species.
    maybe i should have clarified. I do not believe Aliens visit earth. I do believe that there is at the bare minimum a few stars with rocks in the habital zone with life. There has to be. Are they humanoids? Who knows? Maybe, maybe not.

there are other species on earth that we can already communicate with, not always like a full on conversation, but even that is possible with other Terran species.

Alex was a bird that was able to speak english of that about a 6 or 7 yr old child, dolphins can be spoken to, and shown symbols and act on those communications.

dogs are smarter than Chimps in many respects.

So if we can figure out how to communicate with species that we think are below us, then if aliens are so much smarter they should be able to communicate with us.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2012-03-20 at 04:28 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Due to the incredible distances existent between potentially inhabited systems, "first contact" would most likely be made using an unmanned craft on a one-way trip. Surreptitious observation is exceedingly unlikely, and frankly doesn't make a lot of sense.