Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Aussie Cops Taser & kill Brazilian Student

Happened in Sydney over weekend

Aussie cops chased down a Brazilian Student , firing their Tasers while chasing him.

Cops in Australia are only allowed to Taser people under Self Defence Purposes not while pursing them.

He was an innocent man being chased down the street.

The Brazilian student was Taserered 3 times , this resulted in a Heart failure & death.

My question is, do cops taser people while on pursuit in your country ?

here is the corresponding article

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/death-afte...320-1vh0o.html

Yes the police have been known to taser people they are chasing/trying to stop from leaving here in the US.

Well before anyone asks, if he was innocent, why was he running? Also, why did the cop taser the kid 3 times?

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen a cop taser someone in The Netherlands. I don't even think they are allowed tasers...

But then again, law enforcement here is a joke.

Unfortunatly this is a 2 sided coin with no winner.

On the one side the cops broke aussie laws and caused the death.

On the other why was he running from the police. Most people do not do this unless something is very wrong.

It is sad and in the end there will be no winner in this

he wasnt innocent, wouldn't have ran if he was.

why aren't they allowed to taser runners? seems to be a great way to stop them :/

Anyone ever see that movie 'The Double' ? These two cops (one actually cia other FBI) try to chase down this other guy, but he gets away, the CIA guy asks the FBI guy was he chasing him, FBI guy replies "He ran, i figured he should be arrested for something"

Sorry, I really do not want to be rude or disrespectful, but why on earth do you run away from six cops if you are "innocent"? Kind of hard to believe that this guy was innocent. Maybe some drug deal gone wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    he wasnt innocent, wouldn't have ran if he was.
    Running doesn't mean they're guilty. They could run for a number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    why aren't they allowed to taser runners? seems to be a great way to stop them :/
    Someone sprinting could be seriously injured if tasered. Worst case scenario, they could fall and crack their skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    Someone sprinting could be seriously injured if tasered. Worst case scenario, they could fall and crack their skull.
    so it's better to just let them get away?

just shout "stop or I'll tase ya" then all the injuries is on the person not stopping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually ... it's a fight or flight response ... It's quite natural. Sometimes you don't think and you just run.

Worst case is what happened to the guy in this story, he died.

It does in a certain kind of way. A police officer does have the right to force you to stop if they think something might be wrong. If you start running away, they have to assume something is wrong with you. There is NO logical explanation why someone, who does not have to hide anything, would run away from a cop.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, innocent people run from the cops all the time. The sad truth is that there is a lot of mistrust of police officers worldwide, and it's not entirely unfounded. Hell, the US has had people on death's row who were proven innocent (after almost 18 years). Being innocent of wrongdoing doesn't always protect you, so some people decide that their odds are better if they can escape and not have to deal with it at all. This is even more the case when people are in other countries, because oftentimes foreigners do not have the same rights as citizens do.

The down side of course is that once you run, then it stops mattering a whole lot if you were innocent or not to begin with, the police HAVE to chase you down and arrest you if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It does in a certain kind of way. A police officer does have the right to force you to stop if they think something might be wrong. If you start running away, they have to assume something is wrong with you. There is NO logical explanation why someone, who does not have to hide anything, would run away from a cop.
    There are plenty of logical reasons already mentioned in this thread why someone would run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    There are plenty of logical reasons already mentioned in this thread why someone would run.
    Logical reason for the person running away? Maybe. However, not so logical for the cop. The cop has to assume you are in big trouble if you run away from him. "I know that I am innocent and odds are that I'm better off running away..." is not a valid reason to actually run away from a cop. You have to expect shit to happen if you act like this

10+ Year Old Account
    The attitude of "he was running, he probably did something wrong", is a big reason why people are wary of policemen. It's never, "he was running, he may have been afraid". I've dealt with a lot of bad cops, more bad than good, unfortunately. I've never been arrested, but I've never done anything wrong either. Personally, I am afraid of policemen. They have a lot of power considering I don't know who half of them are on the force.

I've been harassed by cops, both verbally and physically - not to mention sexually. There's a reason people are afraid. I don't like the idea of being alone with any cop in a room - frankly I'm not going to apologize for it. It's not my fault the cops I have been exposed to were dirty. Let me reiterate, I have done NOTHING illegal or disruptive in public in my life ever. I've never even done anything illegal privately. I don't even pirate music.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-03-20 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Sorry i still find it illogical to run from a cop, fight or flight still doesn't mean you run from cops, i don't know any one that would run from a cop. And seriously, Australian cops aren't know for their brutality and corruption.

I still stand by, if you got nothing to hide, you got no reason to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Sorry i still find it illogical to run from a cop, fight or flight still doesn't mean you run from cops, i don't know any one that would run from a cop. And seriously, Australian cops aren't know for their brutality and corruption.

I still stand by, if you got nothing to hide, you got no reason to run.
    Have you ever been accosted by a police officer in your life? Or anyone else in this thread saying "it's stupid to run from a police officer."

15+ Year Old Account
    Guilty, or Stupid. Only problems arise from running from cops. A month or two ago there was a man that ran from some cops when the tried to question him. He ran right into a river and ended up drowning. It turns out that this guy was innocent and matched the description of a suspect. The cops just wanted to ask him some questions.

You should never run from the cops if you are innocent. It serves no purpose. However I think it is acceptable to taser someone running away. I mean you could crack you skull open just by being tackled by a cop, so every pursuit and capture has risks. The article states he was seen running down the street shirtless and was sprayed with pepper spray (capsicum) and then tasered. For all we know he had an altercation with the police which caused six of them to start chasing him.

It might have been an "I'm at risk" situation and they thought a taser would be the safest way to apprehend the flying suspect. They might have tried a different approach and failed. Maybe the suspect indicated he had help or was running to somewhere to injury himself or others or another reason to give the officers the thought of "we better bring him down quick". Or the officers just abused their power. The article doesn't really give enough info to judge.

Tasers can be dangerous, but they can also save lives. For all we know the suspect died because of a complication not induced by the taser. Or the taser just increased an already existing condition.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."