Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You never know. This Brazilian guy may have in the past had an experience with a Brazilian Death Squad who are mostly police
    & have been recently active in Brazil.. Therefore he may not have had trust about any police... Thats my Theory anyway.

Heres a Wiki piece about Brazilian Death Squads...

"The "Death Squads" that were active under the rule of the Military Dictatorship have left a lasting legacy in the culture of the Brazilian police as in the 2000s police officers were still being linked to Death-Squad-type executions.

In 2003 alone roughly 2,000 people were killed in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, with Amnesty international claiming the numbers are likely far higher.[42][43]

Deleted
    If you ask me all cops involved should be fired and charged with murder, or at the very least manslaughter.

The "why would you run if you are innocent" schtick is nonsense. The guy comes from Brazil, can you vouch for the integrity of Brazilian cops? It's overreacting. Chances are they know the guy's name and address, might as well get back to him later. The guy's a foreigner, he can't go anywhere if you have airports keep watch.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    But the cops do not have any other option. They do not know the reason why you are running away. You could have just murdered someone....
    I'm shocked to read that from someone with a location of "Germany & Netherlands". Really, tazing a guy? That's the only thing they could do? I thought we were beyond that here in the more civilized part of the world.
    Tasers should be used just as cautious and sparingly as a gun. But instead of shooting a guy who threatens an officer in the leg, you would taze him.
    Running away is the exact opposite of threating. It's suspicious yes, but not threatening the officer. Well unless the officer is overweight and chasing the suspect risks a heart attack. But to be serious, tazing, as shown by this and many other cases, can be just as deadly as a gunshot and thus should only be used under extreme circumstances.

There doesn't seem to be enough information to judge the situation, but if the guy ran away from the cops and didn't just run unrelated to the cops, I agree that it is suspicious and they have the right to stop the guy. But not even with "non-lethal" (hah) weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    If you ask me all cops involved should be fired and charged with murder, or at the very least manslaughter.
    Not sure what the precise effect of it would be in germany but police here is only allowed to use Tasers strictly for self defense (and actually it's not even used everywhere). This is simply in no shape or form an act of self defense. So I assume they would lose their job, might actually be charged with murder, but really not sure about that.
    Last edited by Samin; 2012-03-20 at 10:01 AM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    You never know. This Brazilian guy may have in the past had an experience with a Brazilian Death Squad who are mostly police
    & have been recently active in Brazil.. Therefore he may not have had trust about any police... Thats my Theory anyway.

Heres a Wiki piece about Brazilian Death Squads...

"The "Death Squads" that were active under the rule of the Military Dictatorship have left a lasting legacy in the culture of the Brazilian police as in the 2000s police officers were still being linked to Death-Squad-type executions.

In 2003 alone roughly 2,000 people were killed in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, with Amnesty international claiming the numbers are likely far higher.[42][43]
    I'm from South Africa, there the police are just as likely to mug you and kick your ass as the criminals, but now i'm staying in the UK, yet I've been stooped by the cops three times, never once ran because i knew i had done nothing wrong and that the cops in the UK and not the same thugs that are in the south African police force.

Just like the Brazilian death squads don't run around Australian cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhi View Post
    Lol, very naive, u are assuming all cops are good ppl, in this real world there are cops that would beat u up for the hell of it if they are having a bad day, some of them are even worst than thugs. There are so many reason why someone would run to say the least someone that had bad experience with them, all the way down to sleeping with his wife etc
    I am not naive, you are kind of paranoid ^^.

I had to deal with cops from three different nations so far. Not a single cop ever even remotely abused me.
    I was also once accused of assault. They were all friendly to me from the very beginning because I simply did not act like a douchbag. I didn't shout around FUCK YOU ALL I AM INNOCENT OMFG.... ALL COPS ARE CORRUPT

I knew that I was innocent since I just defended myself and I had enough eyewitnesses. I won. Today (believe it or not), some of those cops are renting our cottage in Croatia.

Maybe the cops in Germany are simply cooler than cops from other nations... but Australian cops are also not known for brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    snip
    Ooh, please do not misunderstand. I never said I am totaly okay with them tazing him. AFAIK it is even against Australian law to taze a person who is just running away. I just said that he gave them a reason to act hostile. If he had just surrendered, he would be alive now
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-03-20 at 09:56 AM.

Deleted
    inocent my ass

A nice little website i found showing the biased view of the midea http://www.stungunmall.com/taser-death-statistics.html

Not saying we should all run out and buy tasers, but they aren't nearly as dangerous as people make them out to be.

yea, like others have said, if you have nothing to hide, you have no reason to run...simple as that. by running, you suffer the consequences.
    cops don't taser with the intent to kill. they taser with the intent to subdue. don't put yourself in a position to be subdued and you won't get tasered.
    having said that, yea being tasered 3 times is exteme...however, that may have been how many shots it took for the guy to finally go down. won't know the full story till it goes to court.

The incident took place over several hours.
    The man did not stop for the police.
    The police attempted to subdue the man.
    The man broke free and ran.
    They used capsicum spray.
    He did not stop.
    They tasered him.

Unfortunate that he died? Very. But he also had multiple chances to simply stop. He should have.

No, they shouldn't. If they had approached him on the street and Tazed him straight up, then perhaps. But they didn't.

Ask yourself this: If the man had lived, would you still think that a man being tazed after resisting arrest, breaking free when police attempted to subdue him, and still running after being capsicum sprayed was horrendous?

Me neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    he wasnt innocent, wouldn't have ran if he was.
    Glad you would know in your infinate wisdom /facepalm
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Ooh, please do not misunderstand. I never said I am totaly okay with them tazing him. AFAIK it is even against Australian law to taze a person who is just running away. I just said that he gave them a reason to act hostile. If he had just surrendered, he would be alive now
    Phew. Good thing that was just a misunderstanding, though you DO put it in a rather harsh way

Maybe the cops in Germany are simply cooler than cops from other nations... but Australian cops are also not known for brutality.
    Yes. Yes. Yes! I mean you often hear germans bitch about treatment by cops and all, but it's nothing compared to e.g. US situation - I'm not saying all cops there are power corrupted assholes, but there are a bunch. To a level that is basically impossible with the laws restricting cops in germany. I always try to hold back on the judging there, because it's very different. In the US (and I guess in many other countries too) you see cops casually pulling their weapon - and in the US even a SHOTGUN - during a "routine investigation"... a fucking shotgun, are you kidding me? A german police officers needs a DAMN good reason to even pull his handgun without being sued for it later.

I wish to imagine, that USA just has to adpot better rules like that, but I'm not sure if you can apply that so easily to such a huge country. It's unfortunately not as easy, because the situation *is* different there

I know this happened in AUS, just used US because I know what kind of fucked up (from a german POV) situations occur there. I guess we rarely hear those stories about australia, so maybe they usually have similar strict laws on their police forces as we do here and this is just an exception that obviously gets blown up because it's a foreign policy issue, I mean cops here also mess up, but it's REALLY rare. (but when it happens, people get really insane about it, especially the anti-authoritatian leftist scene :P)
    Last edited by Samin; 2012-03-20 at 10:10 AM.
    Samin
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

So much naivete in this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have relatives in Australia and I see them from time to time and my moms sister is there once per year. Lovely country, among the friendliest people in the world if you make it clear you just visit or that you got a job, but they (my relatives) all agree there are alot of seriously racist people there.
    Brazilian guy, running from the cops... chanses are he was just unlucky and got a bunch of racist cops on his ass.
    If they acted wrong or not I dont know but they might very well have pushed it a bit further as possible racists.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freak accidents happen, people usually don't get heart failure hence it being called a less than lethal weapon. I fully support cops right to taser fleeing suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by proguer View Post
    Okay, but you know what are other options than tasering? They could tackle him, but this has much much higher chance of injury or even death due to head hitting the ground or breaking the neck. Or they can shoot him down. Or they can do nothing and let him away with other thousands of criminals.
    He's not a criminal until he's convicted. Just because you run, doesn't mean it's okay to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Brazilian guy, running from the cops... chanses are he was just unlucky and got a bunch of racist cops on his ass.
    If they acted wrong or not I dont know but they might very well have pushed it a bit further as possible racists.
    No. He was "a guy" who ran from the cops. Cops who used every other method available to subdue him before they tazed him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

People commenting about him potentially running due to bad experiences with police in Brazil, while true, is not valid. It is not the New South Wales Polices job to alter our nations strategy for every different person that comes along from overseas. Police mishandling is not common in Australia, they are generally approachable down to earth people (with exceptions); thus it is generally a country wide consensus that if you're running, you have something to hide.

The above would hold true under normal circumstances. Unfortunately for these NSW police officers, there are no signs of self-defense which creates another matter.

The whole fiasco is very convenient though, to have happened the same week Victoria Police (another Australian state) were having hearings on whether or not to introduce tasers to Victorian officers.

Quote Originally Posted by proguer View Post
    Police has right to stop you and check you up. By resisting you are breaking a law and deserve to be treated as suspected criminal.
    I'm glad you and I, we live in different countries.

What I'm trying to say is...not only is the law fucked up (imo) in your country, but it's horrifying (though kind of obvious and natural) that people support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    People commenting about him potentially running due to bad experiences with police in Brazil, while true, is not valid. It is not the New South Wales Polices job to alter our nations strategy for every different person that comes along from overseas. Police mishandling is not common in Australia, they are generally approachable down to earth people (with exceptions); thus it is generally a country wide consensus that if you're running, you have something to hide.

The above would hold true under normal circumstances. Unfortunately for these NSW police officers, there are no signs of self-defense which creates another matter.
    That's exactly what I wanted/expected to read. Thanks for keeping my image of the awesome australians intact
    Last edited by Samin; 2012-03-20 at 10:27 AM.
    Samin

innocent untill proven guilty in the court of law.

edit: if or when they pepper sprayed him, they definitly looked like they were in ranged to chase him down and get him after he bumped that person..
    Last edited by Shadowlance; 2012-03-20 at 10:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    No. He was "a guy" who ran from the cops. Cops who used every other method available to subdue him before they tazed him.
    According to the article 6 officers chased him, at least one was within range to spray him with peppar spray.
    Apperently it hit the mark cos they obviously then came into tazer distance.

Even if it was the same cop that did both things, noone who are hit by peppar spray enough to slow them down can run properly.
    Seems to me they should be able to overpower him and if shot, 3 hits?