Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

How would you feel about a PUG guild?

Me and some friends have been pugging successfully since the start of Cata(8/13H t11)

The whole point is to avoid strict raiding days while avoiding the problem of bad players.

I would not have any attendance policies, people can leave whenever they want, and people have to prove themselves in order to get in.

What are your opinions on this?

it would be on Illidan(H)-US 10 man.

Deleted
    What you are describing is a casual guild

Pug = Pick up group
    Pug guild, no such thing. As the above poster said, it's a laid back casual guild. If you made a guild with a few members in it, then pugged random players each week for raids, then you'll have your pug guild. But other than that, your just having an open doors guild.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, there is a huge difference from a casual guild that raids tuesday, wednesday from X-X to what I am suggesting.

It would be a massive guild with people that ONLY want to pug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    What you are describing is a casual guild
    It is pretty much exactly this, added in with the requirement of having to prove oneself to get in, which is even a higher standard than simply casual.

You're talking about a guild. Pretty much any ol' guild.

Deleted
    The PuG, Agammagan (or however you spell it) EU. it's an initiative from Gevlon, The Greedy Goblin. it's a guild without fixed roster, attendance requirement or social aspects. i've thought a couple of times about transfering to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    No, there is a huge difference from a casual guild that raids tuesday, wednesday from X-X to what I am suggesting.

Not really, because not all guilds raid on a strict schedule. Some casual guilds just raid when they know they have an opportunity to do so.

And if you'd play with people who ONLY want to pug, why do you think they'd play with YOU and the people in your guild? By definition, they wouldn't be pugging, it's planning.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea. And I certainly get the concept of not having fixed times or rosters. But it's still mostly just playing with your guild, just a lot less... let's just call it "securely".

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    It is pretty much exactly this, added in with the requirement of having to prove oneself to get in, which is even a higher standard than simply casual.

You're talking about a guild. Pretty much any ol' guild.
    Ok let me give an example.

100 members that all like to raid. People log in on X day, ask in guild if anybody wants to raid. Hopefully they will be able to find 10 players that can handle mechanics.

I understand your point about it being a guild(which it would be) but It would basically be a glorified trade channel with benefits.

Casual guilds and casual raiding are not the same. Casual guilds have a multitude of people who are on whenever and you can basically pug at any time within guild. Casual raiding still has set times and expect people to show more often than not but raid maybe once or twice a week. The huge problem I see is "casual" players cry about wiping not about amount of time spent raiding, the pugs in trade spamming for 1-2 tier old content and pugging current content weekly probably put the same amount of hours into the game as world and realm top guilds do but less into trying for the kill if it gets too hard people leave or choose an easier difficulty.

Deleted
    Sounds like a terrible idea, you would have litterally 0 progress and gear would be walking out the door as from your words 'People can leave whenever they want'.

And I agree with what others have said, your describing a casual guild.

Pug = from trade

All guildies = casual guild

The only reason PUGs work is the vast population of the entire realm to provide attendance at all hours of the day and night. If you are only raid when you feel like it, then you are describing a very casual guild since you would need to pull many from outside the guild to complete a raid. If you are intending to only pull from members in the guild, then you would need an extremely large guild, of which there are very few for a number of organizational issues. I might add that the amount of organization required increases exponentially with the size of your guild. Anything you think you would be saving yourself by making this sort of guild will be vastly overshadowed by the amount of work it would require just to run the guild on a daily basis, not to mention the monumental work required to get it off the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you start forming a guild and recruiting people it is no longer pugging, you are doing some organizing. I would classify this as casual.
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astemus View Post
    The only reason PUGs work is the vast population of the entire realm to provide attendance at all hours of the day and night. If you are only raid when you feel like it, then you are describing a very casual guild since you would need to pull many from outside the guild to complete a raid. If you are intending to only pull from members in the guild, then you would need an extremely large guild, of which there are very few for a number of organizational issues. I might add that the amount of organization required increases exponentially with the size of your guild. Anything you think you would be saving yourself by making this sort of guild will be vastly overshadowed by the amount of work it would require just to run the guild on a daily basis, not to mention the monumental work required to get it off the ground.
    I understand that point. I would hope it would turn into a community of raiders that can find equal skilled players that can't abide by set timelines.

I really don't care if people call it a "casual guild" because it doesn't change the purpose.

I just wanted to get peoples opinions

What you have described seems like a good idea, and Illidan would be a great place to do it (as there are so many ready fillers for when a guildie doesn't show). However you would likely see a type of normalizing as you get a steady set of people together, and probably settle into a relatively consistent schedule, at least from what I've seen.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklinn View Post
    What you have described seems like a good idea, and Illidan would be a great place to do it (as there are so many ready fillers for when a guildie doesn't show). However you would likely see a type of normalizing as you get a steady set of people together, and probably settle into a relatively consistent schedule, at least from what I've seen.
    I could definitely see that happening. I pugged DS in its entirety this patch including many heroics and we set into a schedule a LITTLE. I think it would help improve the runs themselves though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    What are your opinions on this?
    I believe it could work, but it'd end up being a revolving door, or more akin to an Escalator guild.

Don't let the other folks fool you, it's not "casual". Your hardest hurdle will be getting enough members in the guild to reliably pug at any day/time. I'd reccomend starting small, and getting a couple of decent guilds to have people install Guild2Guild and pug that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I believe it could work, but it'd end up being a revolving door, or more akin to an Escalator guild.

Don't let the other folks fool you, it's not "casual". Your hardest hurdle will be getting enough members in the guild to reliably pug at any day/time. I'd reccomend starting small, and getting a couple of decent guilds to have people install Guild2Guild and pug that way.
    I understand why people use the word casual but that doesn't change anything.

I don't honestly believe there will be a time when people can log in anytime and find 10 players, but if people can at least field 7-8 at peak times on a given day that would be great.

There are a lot of people on Illidan that I have ran into that just want to clear content when they can. Hopefully I can provide them this opportunity easier

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as a PUG guild... already by definition.
    PUG = Pickup Group.
    From there by logic, and even treated so by the system, as soon as a player is part of the guild he/she is not a pug anymore.

You can make arrangements tho to have a certain amount of regular players invited to your run. That's a quite common practice ever since.
    You can perfect it using a Banker Guild for example. Create an event. and send out invites to all the players you got in mind. There they have the choice to join your pug or not.

Deleted
    Ok let me give an example.

100 members that all like to raid. People log in on X day, ask in guild if anybody wants to raid. Hopefully they will be able to find 10 players that can handle mechanics.

I understand your point about it being a guild(which it would be) but It would basically be a glorified trade channel with benefits.
    I get your example, and I'll be one to agree that it's not neccessarily a bad idea. You say it best yourself, it's a glorified trade chat.

I still think you'd have a problem with keeping people in the mindset that we're talking about a PuG style guild here. People expect a certain amount of priviligies for being a part of a guild, and this one would essentially promote selfishness (take what you want, assuming you get it, and leave if you want).

Also, people mentioned the revolving-door and escalator guild scenario and that could be pretty bad on the looks of the guild aswell.

It's a risky project. Could work, could be amazing. But it's risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There is no such thing as a PUG guild... already by definition.
    PUG = Pickup Group.
    From there by logic, and even treated so by the system, as soon as a player is part of the guild he/she is not a pug anymore.

You can make arrangements tho to have a certain amount of regular players invited to your run. That's a quite common practice ever since.
    You can perfect it using a Banker Guild for example. Create an event. and send out invites to all the players you got in mind. There they have the choice to join your pug or not.
    It's PuG in the terms of preselected players are only present on a platform (which is the guild itself) where you don't have to befriend anyone, you don't have to spam/be spammed by "gz"s and "lol"s and memes and links, you don't have to spam trade for hours to get someone who will fail on his task and you end up boosting and gearing him. Basically a mature environment with good people whose main goal is success raiding (not chatting and socializing ie. guild-thing), but not on a strict shedule.

Nowadays I use OpenRaid for this purpose, and it works. Sometimes I meet people from previous runs, sometimes I meet with a bunch new people. The only common in us is hunting achievements. And for this, it's perfect.

As for current content: I am a known merc on my realm, whenever someone got a Ds run, they whisper me if I would like to go with them, and if I am free, I join to them, we kill bosses, someone gets loot, and that's all.