Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Why is Ocarina of Time Considered so Good?

While everyone may have their own opinion, Zelda: Ocarina of Time is most widely known as "the best video game ever released." My question is why? I, being a member of Generation Z, never owned the N64, so I never played it. I recently bought it for the Wii's Virtual Console, and I am currently just past the Temple of Time as old link. I like the game, but it just doesn't seem like "the greatest game ever." To those of you that loved it, what made you love it? Does it get better later on?
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Understand, that this was one of the most defining games ever created, the gameplay was/is unbelievable for its time, and the story is/was epic. It changed the adventure/RPG genre for good.

Unfortunately for new generations, such as yourself. A lot of games have learned from it and grown, so really its the classic "You had to be there" story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail86 View Post
    Understand, that this was one of the most defining games ever created, the gameplay was/is unbelievable for its time, and the story is/was epic. It changed the adventure/RPG genre for good.

Unfortunately for new generations, such as yourself. A lot of games have learned from it and grown, so really its the classic "You had to be there" story.
    Pretty much this and because of this it created an ultimate (lol) form of nostalgia

Edit: If you just became adult link and are making this post then you're still lacking a lot of the great experience
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

In its time it was revolutionary! The game play, the ui, the combat system, the story, the music, the puzzles all make it one of the best fantasy games of all time. And its replay value is bar none. To me in all honesty it reminds me of a good corresponding time in my youth so theres a nostalgia feeling to it as well.
    Let's look at the test results. You are a horrible person. It says right here, you're a horrible person. We weren't even testing that. Don't let the horrible person thing get you down though. Science justified your parents choice to abandon you.

Eugenik - Tchondrius

there was nothing like it when it was released.

Nostalgia

/thread?

I've always wondered this myself. Sure, OOT was a good game, but not legendary. A link to the past is still my absolute favorite. I still play it on occasion, actually. OOT I beat maybe 3-4 times when N64 was still top of the line, and I never touched it again. It's just not THAT good to me.

Mikhail, could you generalize any freaking more? WHAT did it change? What about OOT 'changed the adventure/RPG genre for good'? I can't think of one thing that, other than the other Zelda games (which makes since, being the same game and all) was changed because of OOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

Well, I personally loved the game because it was the first game that really got me into gaming. Sure I played games before OOT, but that game was the first one I couldn't put down and couldn't stop thinking about. I remember now actually I didn't own the game while it was new and a friend of mine did. I couldn't wait for the weekend when we would go to his house and play Zelda all night long. Goooooood times. After that hooked me I reserved Windwaker when I was a little older and they had a deal going on where if you reserve Windwaker you get a copy of OOT for GameCube so then I fell in love with the game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Stand up. You jut defeated gravity.

Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?

^ Precisely this, also OoT was one of the one first introductory RPG's mos people played on the N64.

I myself prefer MM over OoT though.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-02-07 at 05:47 AM.

It was my first Zelda (and yes I played it when it was fresh) and I hold it in high regard but for some reason I'm not part of the rest of my generation of obsessing at it's awesomeness like you're describing OP.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Because it's fucking awesome.

You will be converted.

But a lot of people played it when they were kids and back in the day it was considered top quality. The music, the gameplay, tools and interaction were far beyond what many games of it's generation had to offer.

If you don't really thoroughly enjoy titles like Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time though, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there is something wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
    Well, I personally loved the game because it was the first game that really got me into gaming. Sure I played games before OOT, but that game was the first one I couldn't put down and couldn't stop thinking about. I remember now actually I didn't own the game while it was new and a friend of mine did. I couldn't wait for the weekend when we would go to his house and play Zelda all night long. Goooooood times. After that hooked me I reserved Windwaker when I was a little older and they had a deal going on where if you reserve Windwaker you get a copy of OOT for GameCube so then I fell in love with the game again.
    Are you me? Am I you? I reserved windwaker ONLY gor the game cube version of OOT and the master quest, never did buy windwaker though...
    I did enjoi windwaker but it left much to be desired, when i was finished i was upset that was all there was to it...
    Let's look at the test results. You are a horrible person. It says right here, you're a horrible person. We weren't even testing that. Don't let the horrible person thing get you down though. Science justified your parents choice to abandon you.

Eugenik - Tchondrius

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I've always wondered this myself. Sure, OOT was a good game, but not legendary. A link to the past is still my absolute favorite. I still play it on occasion, actually. OOT I beat maybe 3-4 times when N64 was still top of the line, and I never touched it again. It's just not THAT good to me.

Mikhail, could you generalize any freaking more? WHAT did it change? What about OOT 'changed the adventure/RPG genre for good'? I can't think of one thing that, other than the other Zelda games (which makes since, being the same game and all) was changed because of OOT.
    they came in 3d as well as offering large and expansive worlds.

I liked A Link to the Past more than I liked Ocarina of Time.

It's a good game, but not the best game ever, as some people like to tout it.

Because link didn't hid behind broken walls in completely gray environment and shoot an endless swarm of completely identical soldiers in the first person.

LoZ:OOT would not be my pick for greatest game EVER, but it's pretty high up.

But seriously, Generation Z is exposed to far too much of my rant up top and in my opinion a distinct lack of creativity in the mainstream compared to the days of LoZ:OOT.

I remember when the N64 was released (I'm old) and seeing Ocarina and Starfox 64 on demo units in the stores and thinking WOW! (I stood in KMart and played Starfox 64 start to finish on those demo models one day... the clerk in the A/V section didn't throw me out he was actually IMPRESSED lol... good times... man to be a young careless freeloader again ^_^)

But yeah, Ocarina is a really solid memorable game, you won't really understand unless you play it. Of course if you're the sort of person who can't play games with older graphics it might be ruined for you... I feel sad for those people.

This. You also have to understand that this is the first for many gamers, where they could actually read (as in were literate) and was one of the first games many people played with such an indepth story. Generally this game can call "FIRST!" on a number of things, all of which really stood out at the time compared to other games in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I remember when the N64 was released (I'm old) and seeing Ocarina and Starfox 64 on demo units in the stores and thinking WOW! (I stood in KMart and played Starfox 64 start to finish on those demo models one day... the clerk in the A/V section didn't throw me out he was actually IMPRESSED lol... good times... man to be a young careless freeloader again ^_^)

But yeah, Ocarina is a really solid memorable game, you won't really understand unless you play it. Of course if you're the sort of person who can't play games with older graphics it might be ruined for you... I feel sad for those people.
    I know what you mean man, it depresses me when I meet gamers like this

It is the best RPG game ever made, sorry but accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Menkey View Post
    It is the best RPG game ever made, sorry but accept it.
    It's not even an RPG...