Thread: I Work Out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    i vote for p90x = best shit sold on tv lol lost 35 pounds in 2 months and got some muscle lol if you cant afford it there is some shady way to get it on the internet but you will be missing allot of stuff that y i got the real thing

10+ Year Old Account
    I was expecting a "Sexy and I know it" sort of thing. Glad to be wrong.

OT: P90X would be great, so would Insanity. If you can do those, you'll be in great shape, literally and metaphorically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by TType85 View Post
    Check out your BMR to find how many calories your body needs. google bmr calculator (can't post links yet)

I am at around 2700 (36yrs old, 6' tall, was 323 down to 316), that doesn't include exercise, including basic just walking around work etc. If your sedentary multiply by 1.2. If you eat about that much you will maintain your current weight. I have cut down to 2500 cal per day and am loosing about 1-2# per week. As I loose that max calories will go down too of course.
    Yea, that 1800 was a rough estimate on my body. But I'm not exactly big. It all depends on your body size for sure, I've got roughly 18% body fat and weigh like 147. I'm trying to drop that down to at least 140. But if you're trying to lose weight, you can easily sit on your couch and do it by cutting calories and eating healthier. Exercising speeds up the process and gets your body working.

To lose weight, it's basically about energy expenditure. Take in less calories to create a deficit so eat until you're 70% full, not just full or bloated. Avoid starch (rice, bread, pasta, etc), sugar (soda, candy, etc), and red meat which contains fat no matter how lean. Fish is always good (Japanese people have the longest life span since their daily diet includes fish), vegetables, and plenty of water. You don't have to invest in something as complicated as P90X in terms of exercise. Any aerobic exercise (jogging, stationary bicycle, treadmill, swimming, etc) is good enough but the key is to push yourself every time you exercise. Starting off at perhaps 30 minutes of exercise the first day is fine. Then increase the duration and intensity of your workout little by little. P90X just works different parts of the body so every muscle fiber is utilized with varied motions so your body doesn't get used to the same workout and just plateaus (stays at a consistent level of fitness). Not saying P90X doesn't work but you have to be in some decent shape to really be able to get through even the first workout. Remember, exercise is pointless if you don't watch your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    Yea, that 1800 was a rough estimate on my body. But I'm not exactly big. It all depends on your body size for sure, I've got roughly 18% body fat and weigh like 147. I'm trying to drop that down to at least 140. But if you're trying to lose weight, you can easily sit on your couch and do it by cutting calories and eating healthier. Exercising speeds up the process and gets your body working.
    Your exactly right. I have been starting to get bits of exercise in working my way up. One big problem is someone who is way overweight (like me) will try and go to the extreme (say 1500 cal/day) and get discouraged and be starving all the time. Going more gradual takes time but you change your eating habits for life.

Quote Originally Posted by TType85 View Post
    Your exactly right. I have been starting to get bits of exercise in working my way up. One big problem is someone who is way overweight (like me) will try and go to the extreme (say 1500 cal/day) and get discouraged and be starving all the time. Going more gradual takes time but you change your eating habits for life.
    That's definitely true. You need to go based on your own body type. I forgot to take into account the OPs body type when I posted about 2500 calories. Oops
    Sorry about that!
    I just went back and checked on the OPs body type, and yea, 2500 a day, as long as it's not a wasted 2500, would definitely work. The start of every diet/lifestyle change is cutting out the worst things you eat, and getting your body used to not ingesting them. Don't drink sodas, don't eat fast food, don't fry your foods all the time. And it's not just about cutting out soda, it's about cutting out sugary drinks in general. Arizona Tea? Has WAY too much sugar. Drink home made green tea, it's very beneficial. Drink black coffee. Drink water. Lots of water.

Have you tried those body cleanses? The point is to get rid of your old waste, it'll drop a few pounds off your frame too, but it won't be body fat. Then drink about a liter or two of water and sit in a sauna. That will help purify you as well. The point of all of this is to get rid of the trash that's built into your sweat glands. By the end of this, if you do it over a weekend, you could easily have dropped 10 pounds of waste and water. The majority of people have too much water weight anyways. Then you start your diet and you're already purified. You'll feel so much better about yourself too.
    (To complete the ritual, get a makeover. That doesn't necessarily have to involve make up, but you could go get your hair cut, try a new beard style if you have a beard. You'll feel and look better and be more motivated to keep going with it as well.)

Have you tried participating in a adult weight loss boot camp? I think these camps can be effective way to lose weight and get into great shape. These camps are generally classed as a boot camp. They are designed to help adults who want to shed a few extra pounds, as well as build strength, stamina, conditioning and have fun. Here's a useful article I found about adult weight loss boot camp.
    Last edited by Jenny Penn; 2012-04-21 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharlex View Post
    Actually, I haven't since High School but last week I saw myself in the mirror and was disgusted. I'm a 21 year old, Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic (I was diagnosed in my Sophomore year of High School) who has always been a bit bigger than normal... But right now, I'm disgusted. I'm 6'1" and in the ballpark of ~290 lbs. Over the last week, I've began dieting (Slim Fast since I had success with it in High School), working out daily (I have a bunch of machines in the basement, along with a treadmill and stationary bike), and riding a bike in the evenings with my mother. (She has MS, and needs to start working out her legs)

Basically, I'm looking for any advice from people who have been in a similar situation (obviously the Diabetes thing doesn't mean much) of noticing how out of shape you've gotten, and what you did to get back into shape. I feel as if I'm going about this the right way, but I'm always open to others opinions.

I also have access to P90X (I did this in High School as well) which I'm considering doing instead of working out on the machines in the basement. My main goal right now is to cut the weight (hopefully down to 220 lbs eventually) and then worry about toning up later.
    As you are Type 1 Diabetic and someone who is overweight I would not suggest any extreme changes at once. Advice from people that tell you the sweating is burning fat or sweating to the oldies, P90X and any other next big thing, has the potential do more harm than good. There are to many considerations to take into account.

I will start by telling you there is NO exercise program that will beat a bad diet. With that being said the first thing you need to understand is food and how it effects your body because abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym I would also check out sites like BB.com but understand there is to much BS on that site also the Bro-science is huge on some sites. Cut and Jacked has some good info too.

I recommend looking up these folks I am about to list who have some great information

Alan Aragon

Lyle McDonald

Leigh Peele

Martin Berkhan

I recommend not going down to the basement to do cardio... just head out the front door and take mom with you. You have enough indoor time with the computer already.

If you have any questions PM me.

Long time since I made this post. Yowzah! So I figured I might make a little bit of an update;

I originally did not end up dieting, and managed to balloon to 310 pounds. Since then (2 months ago) I have been on the Atkins diet. I am down from 310 pounds to 275 pounds with just a diet change. I repeat, I have not yet started a workout program. I am going to attempt to lose another 10 pounds, and then I'll be starting p90x. I'm really proud of myself, and while I know the Atkins diet gets a ton of flack, it works for me. It's just so incredibly boring, but it WORKS. I'm eating 20 carbs or less a day. I feel healthier! I feel better. A weight is off my chest. My stamina has increased, purely by losing the weight. I'm excited for the first time in a long time, and I'd just thought I'd update all your helpful folks here.

Long time since I made this post. Yowzah! So I figured I might make a little bit of an update;

I originally did not end up dieting, and managed to balloon to 310 pounds. Since then (2 months ago) I have been on the Atkins diet. I am down from 310 pounds to 275 pounds with just a diet change. I repeat, I have not yet started a workout program. I am going to attempt to lose another 10 pounds, and then I'll be starting p90x. I'm really proud of myself, and while I know the Atkins diet gets a ton of flack, it works for me. It's just so incredibly boring, but it WORKS. I'm eating 20 carbs or less a day. I feel healthier! I feel better. A weight is off my chest. My stamina has increased, purely by losing the weight. I'm excited for the first time in a long time, and I'd just thought I'd update all your helpful folks here.
    Very nice man , keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Do you know exactly how to calculate BMR? I have always tried and it is always WAY lower than I actually need to eat. I dont have the same problem as the OP, I have trouble gaining weight (it's a real problem, don't judge) and when I calculated my BMR it said something like 1700. I said cool I will eat 2400 and gain weight right? Nope lost weight. I eat really healthy in addition to my high metabolism so I have to stuff myself (to feeling sick) in order to gain weight. Any idea how to figure out your BMR besides using that bogus height, weight, age nonsense?
    there you go simple and easy to use

http://www.lose-weight-with-us.com/bmr-calculator.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

That's great man. It's a cliche saying, but it's very true. The only person who can make the change is yourself. Keep at it an don't give up! Just keep pushing no matter what. Remember, if working out and being in shape was easy, everyone would be. But you're not settling, you're standing up and saying fuck this, time to get healthy. I like that. It's good motivation.

Good job. After all, losing weight is 90% of diet and 10% of workout. I'd try to drop down to 250 or even below that, before starting exercises because your joints will thank you later.

The swedish medical association suggests paleo diet as a treatment to diabetes. As a side effect, it's also effective at burning fat and losing weight.
    The main difference between paleo and Atkins is that paleo has more fats in it and less protein, while both are low carb. If your Atkins menu has too much protein (more than 30% of daily calories from protein) then you risk serious kidney damage in the long run.