Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why do people assume if the game has its own RMT, it will stop bots?

I've noticed from both ArenaNet and players that they assume if they sell gold in a controlled market they are able to stop illegal RMT. I don't see how that is possible, considering all the RMT traders have to do is make it more profitable to buy from their website than ingame.

As expected, you where able to buy gems and trade them for gold or other items; that's not a problem at all to me. Guild Wars has always been completely cosmetic, there's nothing to gain other than looks when it comes to gold.

But to say they're doing it to control the RMT market from illegal activities is an excuse.

I have played free to play games before, it has never stopped bots or RMT. It has always been more bang for your buck to buy from the illegal traders than to buy from the company.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is one is bannable, one isn't.
    Personally I wouldn't risk having my account with thousands of hours spent banned to save a couple of lousy bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The difference is one is bannable, one isn't.
    Personally I wouldn't risk having my account with thousands of hours spent banned to save a couple of lousy bucks.
    Except that most players who buy gold don't end up actually getting banned.

If you think of it, it is a business. If people got banned everytime someone bought gold, they wouldn't make very much money at all. Yet we see news articles saying RMT is a billion dollar business. They can steal all the accounts they want, but you eventually have to sell it to make money.

The only difference is that instead of making people fear of buying gold, they encourage it through their company so they can make a piece of the pie.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop? No.

Reduce? Yes.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Even if most people dont, the risk is there. That's what would put people off more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post

If you think of it, it is a business. If people got banned everytime someone bought gold, they wouldn't make very much money at all. Yet we see news articles saying RMT is a billion dollar business. They can steal all the accounts they want, but you eventually have to sell it to make money.
    With no monthly fee, perhaps they will be more willing to ban people for gold buying?
    If they start banning (or suspending, at least) enough gold buyers early on, it may make people more likely to lean towards gems as oppose to gold buying.

10+ Year Old Account
    People assume a lot of things.

But to assume makes an ass out of u and me. Da-dun-toosh!

But yeah, it will never STOP botters, but like said above me, it should reduce them.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    With no monthly fee, perhaps they will be more willing to ban people for gold buying?
    If they start banning (or suspending, at least) enough gold buyers early on, it may make people more likely to lean towards gems as oppose to gold buying.
    The people who get banned from gold trading are simply the people who openly admit about it. It's very hard to pinpoint someone who bought gold, especially since the game encourages RMT between players to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    And most home burglars are never caught, but even though I need the cash you don't see me stealing peoples TV's because I don't want to risk a prison term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    And most home burglars are never caught, but even though I need the cash you don't see me stealing peoples TV's because I don't want to risk a prison term.
    Buying gold isn't illegal, so you really can't compare it.

You can go to jail for pirating movies, yet statistics say that over 30% of Americans pirate movies at home.

People will commit crimes if there is a low punishment rate and if its easy to do.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-03-20 at 06:58 PM.

The people who get banned from gold trading are simply the people who openly admit about it. It's very hard to pinpoint someone who bought gold, especially since the game encourages RMT between players to begin with.
    Actually, it's pretty easy to track if they have the proper systems in place. If their tracking program sees a few accounts constantly sending out large sums of gold without receiving anything in return (entirely possible), they can flag those accounts for investigation. This is all assuming they have that kind of software in place though, which I doubt they will say.

"Hmm, this person got mail from someone he had no previous contact with whatsoever for 500,000gold. We should look into that."
    *later*
    "Strange, this person seems to be sending mail to hundreds of people per day with various sums of money, none of which he had any contact with. 50% of the people he sent the mail to whispered friends about buying gold and only received large sums from this person."
    *later*
    "Alright, this person is without a doubt selling gold, we're going to ban him and suspend anyone he sent large sums to."

When I was a GM I banned all the time for gold buying. -__-

It just took a lot of work. To most players it seems a company isn't banning Billy Twinswords quick enough. Yet in actuality the staff are working/getting around to it. Depending on the size of the team this can go quicker, but it never goes quickly.

It'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Actually, it's pretty easy to track if they have the proper systems in place. If their tracking program sees a few accounts constantly sending out large sums of gold without receiving anything in return (entirely possible), they can flag those accounts for investigation. This is all assuming they have that kind of software in place though, which I doubt they will say.
    And the RMT companies will find loopholes to prevent them from being tracked so they can make more money. They will even go as far as hacking the game to make them undetectable.
    "Hmm, this person got mail from someone he had no previous contact with whatsoever for 500,000gold. We should look into that."
    *later*
    "Strange, this person seems to be sending mail to hundreds of people per day with various sums of money, none of which he had any contact with. 50% of the people he sent the mail to whispered friends about buying gold and only received large sums from this person."
    *later*
    "Alright, this person is without a doubt selling gold, we're going to ban him and suspend anyone he sent large sums to."
    As an example, WoW used to send RMT transaction through the mail but they started banning them... so now its rarely done.

You have to remember, people are doing this for money. They will do everything in their power to make sure they keep getting money.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-03-20 at 07:02 PM.

And the RMT companies will find loopholes to prevent them from being tracked so they can make more money.
    How, considering there is no trading and it's all done through mail and the marketplace? >.>

How, considering there is no trading and it's all done through mail and the marketplace? >.>
    I have yet to see a game completely abolish RMT, they have always found loopholes. The only way to stop is to basically did what runescape did, completely screw over the legitimate customers.

I have yet to see a game completely abolish RMT, they have always found loopholes. The only way to stop is to basically did what runescape did, completely screw over the legitimate customers.
    Because that's like saying it's possible to abolish theft. It will ALWAYS be there, but there are a ton of ways to lesson the amount and impact of the theft/gold selling.

I have yet to see a game completely abolish RMT, they have always found loopholes. The only way to stop is to basically did what runescape did, completely screw over the customers.
    Aaanyways, I haven't seen anyone make the argument that the system will completely get rid of all RMT, just that it will discourage it greatly.
    Loopholes may be found, but you're basically arguing that "third party RMT will be possible" not "third party RMT will be preferred".
    Of course it will be POSSIBLE. It will always be possible. That doesn't mean it will thrive. It will be less popular with a developer made and developer approved method of buying gold.
    No risk of getting banned or hacked.

Deleted
    Because that's like saying it's possible to abolish theft. It will ALWAYS be there, but there are a ton of ways to lesson the amount and impact of the theft/gold selling.
    And this is what its all about, its not about stopping it, its about reducing the problem

Right, so how can you lessen it without hurting the legitimate customers? World of Warcraft could make it a hundred times harder for them to sell gold, but how would it affect the customers?

If RMT companies even find ONE crack, they will use that method over and over. It generates money, it will hardly reduce the RMT. Easy money starts many businesses.

RMT exists in games with less than 1,000 population because it is very profitable. WHy do you think NCSOFT wants a piece of the pie?

Those companies wont be a few dollars cheaper than the normal price... they'll try to sell it for at least 50% less than store price.

You could buy 100 gems for $1 or 100 gems for 50 cents illegally.

If they can't get enough revenue, they will simply keep reducing the price until it becomes a demand.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-03-20 at 07:11 PM.