10+ Year Old Account

Help Transitioning to an SSD

Hello everyone on the computer forums.

For my birthday, I got the Crucial M4 128GB, and I plan on re installing my Operating System onto it tomorrow, as I have the day off. I was wondering what the best way for me to set up all of my files/programs.

My current drive setup is:
    128GB SSD
    750GB WD Caviar Black
    2TB Seagate Barracuda

I currently have my WD as my C: drive, with all of my programs/games installed onto it. I was wondering if I should just move my games to my data drive, and then move them back once I have things re installed. I'm not worried about re downloading my programs, as they are fairly small in size.

I also have been messing around with the SSD, and I was able to get battlefield 3 re installed onto it, and I noticed a performance increase. I also moved skyrim over to it, and did a junction link to the game, but I haven't noticed any difference in load times. I also tried the same with saints row, but also no increase. Is this because of windows or did I do something wrong?

I appreciate any responses that help me, thank you in advance.

Deleted
    Unplug the HDD's, install the OS to your SSD, plugin the HDD's after you're done to avoid any issues. With 128GB+ I suggest you just re-install your programs onto the SSD and whichever games you use (drag and rop or re-install if needed).

It varies from game to game how much of decrease in loading etc. you'll see. I know for WoW it's a pretty big difference, Skyrim it's okay, SW;TOR I didn't notice much of a difference, DiabloIII not a big difference.

If you're looking for a quick and easy way to re-install some of the mainstream programs, codec etc. Try using ninite.com Just click the programs you want and use the installer. It will download latest files, install them and get rid of leftover files. It will even deselect toolbar options etc. that comes with some installers.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-20 at 08:31 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    How have you organized all your User data and do you have room to move around files?

What I did was create E:\Users\[username]\ and then redirected stuff like my Desktop, My Music, My Videos, Documents, Downloads, etc. to that directory. It's easy to do...just right-click on each folder, select the Location tab and opt to move the entire directory. It will automatically copy all your files over and delete the old folder also.

After this is done and you've pared your C: drive down to size, you can install a utility like Acronis TrueImage 2012 trial and clone the disk to the new SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post

If you're looking for a quick and easy way to re-install some of the mainstream programs, codec etc. Try using ninite.com Just click the programs you want and use the installer. It will download latest files, install them and get rid of leftover files. It will even deselect toolbar options etc. that comes with some installers.
    Thanks for the link, Didn't know anything like that existed.

Deleted
    Just wanted to say thanks as well for that site. It's extremely useful.