Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Entizer View Post
    This this context you use it as dude means man. If the person really is a man, how is that insulting if it is true? I would not walk up to the person and say "Hey, I heard you are a dude." You are using a synonym, just like chick is a synonym for girl. I do not necessarily use these, keep in mind just using them as examples since many people use them in open public and do not get offended by the uses or also use it themselves.

If you are called the wrong version, I can see someone getting mad. If someone called me a chick or a woman gets called a dude. I only use those if I know the people I am talking to, so I do agree it is used with friends and people you know.
    Are you telling me that you're absolutely ok with being called a chick then, assuming you are a man? I deliberately made that example in the wrong context to show that people can take it in this context even if it isn't meant like that. Being called a dude can be insulting so I think it shouldn't be done unless you're sure that it is received the right way.

when I come into a group and say "hey guys" or "sup dudes" Im refering to both.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use dude when I'm talking to girls, or guys. It's more of an exclamation now. You just did something horrible? "DUDE!?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Deleted
    I say dude to men.

10+ Year Old Account
    well when talking to american friends (both genders) I always use the term "Dude and Bro" don't care if they're a girl or not. I also use "Bror" alot when talking to swedish people which means brother and same thing there I use it for both genders .P
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Im a girl. I use the word and people use it on me. It's normal.

Deleted
    So many times have people entered vent/mumble/gchat/whatever and said to the guys; "hello ladies" or "wazzup b*tches" or "good evening girls" and NOT ONCE has a male gotten offended and said "hey im not a girl im a guy!!!!".

10+ Year Old Account
    I never used the word dude, think that's more of an American thing, but guys I use all the time whenever I enter vent or say hello to guildies it's always "Hey guys" even when girls are present, but I've never seen a girl get offended by this before. It's just a greeting after all.

Deleted
    "Dude" seems fine, but it's disturbing when girls start talking between each other calling themselves bro like in my country. It makes me LOL everytime I go near two or more girls talking like that.

It would sound strange for me if someone called "dude". IMO it doesn't suit for calling girls

Deleted
    I don't use the word dude but I take it as non gender like someone saying "hi guys!", it is so much better than being called 'Bird', really I don't know where that comes from! I wonder if it is used all over the UK or just up north.

I would never end sentences dircted at ladies with "dude" or "man".

Not that I would talk like that to men, either.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saerlaith View Post
    So true. Have you seen this? (must be logged in to livejournal to read it, but it's pretty...yeah. Tons of people getting butthurt about someone calling Sindragosa a "bitch" because "it started as an insult to women." @_@)
    Well it started as a name for a female canine, THEN it turned into an insult to women. And hey, it still is. It doesn't seem especially sexist unless its only the female raid bosses you're singling out for throwing insults at. I know Mr Lich King got a fair few gendered and non-gendered insults thrown at him aswell

But anyway, if someone doesn't want to be called a dude, just...don't call them a dude? Its not an especially odd request.

10+ Year Old Account
    Girlfriend doesn't like me calling her a dude, but then again she's American and I'm Australian, much different meanings.

I never though about until now but I say guys and man when talking to girls... Just makes it sound a little more natural.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hey guys." "Sup dudes."

Shit is gender neutral. While it may have started originally as gender specific, it's so widely used now to address both genders/general groups of people. If people really feel insulted about it...then well, it sucks for them. There are tons of other things to be insulted about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    nah dood, nah

no seriously look at the first pic when you search for, nah dood, nah on google image.

dood, nah

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...4j3l7l0.frgbld.

It's an interjection. A word used to express an emotion or sentiment on the part of the speaker. Has the same lingustic value as a "Eh" or "Ahem".

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    dude, selkhet - you're right

Deleted
    I'd say it's fairly gender neutral when it comes to GROUPS of people. "Hey dudes", "Hey guys" etc. Wouldn't use it that way myself, and do find it pretty silly. To me it would be exactly the same as calling a man "girl", "lady" or similar.

When you reference a specific person, dude is clearly not gender neutral.

"That girl is a dude!" to me means that my friend has spotted something that I didn't, and just saved me from doing something I would regret.

If I say "I went to dinner and movie with this dude yesterday, and then we went to my place and had some fun" my friends won't ask what this nice girls name is, but instead congratulate me on coming out of the closet.

Dude is clearly male.