Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Paying the government in Pennies

How you guys feel about paying the government in pennies because they wrote me a parking ticket for being too close to a drive way. The law is that you have to be 5 feet from a drive way, and I'm pretty sure I was because I could take 2 steps from my car to the drive way, and an average length step is about 3 ft, maybe a little less but that's still 5 feet from my car to the drive way.

Got a ticket anyway, gets me thinking about paying the fine in pennies. Yes I realize this is horrible to do to a business, and I would never do that, but this is the people who just wrote me a ticket when I didn't deserve it, so I feel its justified.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

This reminds me of a video I saw, a guy got his car towed and fined $88 so he paid the towing company in pennies, the cops had to get involved and all, it was quite justified.

Deleted
    That would just make you a dick, admit you were wrong and pay the fine normally. Dont screw up someones day just because you can.

Nobody would actually care if you did that, you're just making it harder for yourself..

the guy who gave the ticket could care less how you pay it. he's not going to be the one counting pennies. all you would be doing is being an asshole to somebody who had nothing to do with your ticket.

Do it. It's pretty shitty imo to write a tickeT for something so small

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it. It's sort of like calling customer service and complaining. It's not their fault, but there is no other avenue of complaint; no other way to voice your displeasure -- so you're forced to do what you can.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Deleted
    Yes. Paying in pennies is legal tender. But YOU have to make sure that there's exactly the right amount of pennies.
    That latter bit is often overlooked, meaning that you're going to have to go through the tedious act of counting out the right amount manually.

Overe here in the NL, we also have a 1 cent coin. But it's mostly taken out of use. While it's legal to pay with them there's a standing 'rule' that it's only valid up to a certain amount in value.

The question is really if you want to count it all yourself and risk being a penny short...

its gona be exactly 2000 pennies gona first ask my bank if i can get penny rolls right after work.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

You'll only "punish" someone else who had nothing to do with your ticket by doing that.

I wouldn't blame the government. I would blame the guy who called in the complaint. They typically don't ticket for small things like this. Did you measure the distance, maybe take a picture? Maybe you were in the wrong and just have issues accepting your ticket?
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

Do it. Its legal tender.

It doesn't make you a dick and considering how many times that money has to change hands I'd dare to say you're making it harder on more than just yourself.

If your ticket writing people (don't know what their official title would be) are anything like the ones who live around me then they deserve it. I live in a tourist trap area of my city and they do everything they can write parking tickets as its absolutely huge volumes of money for the city. This includes, but not limited to, street sweeping on alternating days on alternating sides of the street on alternating weeks (its intentionally confusing and nabs countless overnight tourists each year...along with residence who forget to double-check their calendar), showing up earlier than the shut down time for that part of the street to write tickets, writing tickets for people being too close to fire hydrants even when they aren't anywhere close to them, writing tickets for being too close to a driveway even tho they are not. Its pretty ridiculous where I am...but you can't do much about it unless you are able/willing to take a day off work to go fight it in court and it comes down to their word versus yours.

they do ticket for little stuff like this last time this happened I actually got towed, that's why I started measuring
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Its government. It screws you every day, why not screw it for once?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have fun being the target of every police officer in your area because you are being a child.

Pay the fine for your actions.

EDIT: Also, the agency you pay the fine to is not legally required to accept pennies.

"Title 31 (Money and Finance), Subtitle IV (Money), Chapter 51 (Coins and Currency), Subchapter I (Monetary System), Section 5103 (Legal Tender) of the United States Code states:
    'United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.'"

The only thing the law says is that pennies is a legal tender, not that it must be accepted.
    Last edited by Reg; 2012-03-21 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2lacky View Post
    but you can't do much about it unless you are able/willing to take a day off work to go fight it in court and it comes down to their word versus yours.
    This exactly I've tried to fight them before by appealing but its your word vs theirs.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Have fun being the target of every police officer in your area because you are being a child.

Pay the fine for your actions.
    I am paying the fine, in United States legal tender.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Would be funny if they would just weigh it and found it too little.

Send you away again. Then you have to return the pennies to your bank where they give you an extra charge for bringing in so many pennies .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post

I am paying the fine, in United States legal tender.
    Read my edit, they won't accept it. There is no Federal law for accepting all legal tender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it!

Your goverment screw you over so many times, as someone pointed out you should do it to them too.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

It is not the person who handed out the ticket who is going handling that.
    Whether they accept the payment or not you are simply targeting the wrong person.