Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Read my edit, they won't accept it. There is no Federal law for accepting all legal tender.
    Don't tell him that before hand. Enjoy the fact that he will be standing there with his 2000 pennies and them brushing him off .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Don't tell him that before hand. Enjoy the fact that he will be standing there with his 2000 pennies and them brushing him off .
    I would enjoy the fact more if people just grew up in this world and stop worrying about how everyone is out to get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally wouldn't do it for the sole fact that the person behind the counter that you're going to be dumping those pennies on has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ticket. The guys upstairs that make those rules aren't going to care, nor will they see it. You'll just be making one innocent person just as miserable (if not more) than you. All in all, I think it's ridiculously childish. I'd hope that, for the better sake of humanity, you'd use whatever conscience you may have to realize you're being a complete and utter ass to someone for fault of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Read my edit, they won't accept it. There is no Federal law for accepting all legal tender.
    If you are willing to pay your fine and you are paying in legal tender then they are not allowed to refuse.
    If they do refuse, you can ask them to state that you have attempted to pay them the full amount and they have refused to accept it in writing and use that to get out of paying the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroneus View Post
    If you are willing to pay your fine and you are paying in legal tender then they are not allowed to refuse.
    If they do refuse, you can ask them to state that you have attempted to pay them the full amount and they have refused to accept it in writing and use that to get out of paying the fine.
    Exactly, they are the ones fining me if they don't want my money that is their problem at that point.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Where in the world one have to/can play tickets in cash? Sounds like 1995

I think it would be a phenomenal idea, the cop was clearly being a super dick for writing the ticket so fight fire w/ fire!

Wish I could be there to see it, matter of fact can you record it and post it here?, and make sure to get the clerks face when you drop the bag of pennies on the desk! It's gonna be great!

Deleted
    While pennies are legal tender, they are only legal tender up to a certain value over which they don't legally have to accept it, and you will still be required to pay.

Expand on the situation, my brother actually got a car towed at work because it was just parked over the 'driveway'(aka dropped kerb into the store rather than a proper road into the carpark) because it prevented a delivery, normally he would let it go but because it was interfering he decided to report it and it was all legal since the car was illegally parked.

Then again he doesn't like people who are inconsiderate at parking, he locked the carpark at end of the day and a person used the store carpark as a personal one and car was locked in, they called the security company who called my brother and his response was 'carpark as signs say is for customers and closes when the store does, they can collect it tomorrow'. And partially blocked a car who decieded to park somewhere that was not a space and caused hassle for staff. He may of been a dick for doing those but the car was parked in the wrong place you can suffer the consequence.

Its like most tickets, short of a warden waiting for a pay and display/parking meter ending which i agree is slightly pathetic(2 minutes i would say should be the limit due to differences in watch/meter, any more than that and your taking the piss), but if they walk past a car and its 2-3 minutes over time then they legally can ticket you, your the one who took to long and are in the wrong they can ticket you.

Why can't people take responsibility for their own cock ups, you parked in a manner that would open you up to a ticket. Most times they may not to be fair, but when they do your in the wrong so suck it up. (Think of it for something else, speed limit it 30+10%(33) so if your doing 34 (and this is car to stop you rather than a machine to auto fine you). 9/10 you may not get pulled over when you should, so on the time you do get pulled over don't moan you were caught speeding(and you are) suck it up.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroneus View Post
    No, that is not the law. Any payment can be declined. That is the LAW.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Exactly, they are the ones fining me if they don't want my money that is their problem at that point.

please please have someone record it and post it here when you are done. I want to lol at you when you are still walking away with 2000 pennies.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That's not how it works. You will be required to offer an alternative payment. Key word: REQUIRED.

Chances are they don't accept cash in the first place. Usually Money order or Certified Check.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me it doesnt matter. It is more fun if you actually saved up that many pennies yourself instead of exchange into them just to pay someone else.

Remind me of an episode of Parking Wars my Dad had on the other day.

Lady parked on the sidewalk. Got a ticket. YELLED at the guy until she was blue in the face about how the Government targets them specifically and how the laws need to change. She still had to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    It is not the person who handed out the ticket who is going handling that.
    Whether they accept the payment or not you are simply targeting the wrong person.
    See though, the clerk that will get the pennies most likely knows which cop wrote the ticket and likely works in the same building as the cop so the cop will get bitched at for quite some time about how bad all the pennies sucked every time he sees said clerk!

Tbh, I would just save yourself the money and fight the ticket. You'll win as I doubt they could prove you were closer then 5 feet.

I've had a few tickets that I haven't bothered paying. Sup for non-council ran car parks. :P
    PEWPEW

At work we have a 5 gallon pail with about 100lb of pennies, a few years ago we did the math to figure out about how much it was worth and it was about $200. I would love to drop them into a coin counting machine at a local store.

I would first instead of basing your distance by the number of steps (Every step is different) go back and try to park exactly where you were and then try measuring it. While that evidence may not hold up in a court of law (since your not going to park it exactly where it was) it would give you a better idea if you were wrong or right.

If you were right then appeal it instead of doing something so petty. If you were wrong then simply pay up.

In the future instead of parking a little over 5 feet away, park 10 feet away so there is chance of you getting another ticket. If you ever get another ticket then measure it right there and take a picture of it and the judge would allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    See though, the clerk that will get the pennies most likely knows which cop wrote the ticket and likely works in the same building as the cop so the cop will get bitched at for quite some time about how bad all the pennies sucked every time he sees said clerk!
    Implying that the clerk would even take the pennies and the ticket writer and clerk wont have a huge laugh about it all later over a beer and OP's misfortune.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    Yes. Paying in pennies is legal tender. But YOU have to make sure that there's exactly the right amount of pennies.
    That latter bit is often overlooked, meaning that you're going to have to go through the tedious act of counting out the right amount manually.

Overe here in the NL, we also have a 1 cent coin. But it's mostly taken out of use. While it's legal to pay with them there's a standing 'rule' that it's only valid up to a certain amount in value.

The question is really if you want to count it all yourself and risk being a penny short...
    I most sincerely doubt there is any kind of law (in the US) that says "if you are paying with pennies you have to count them all out yourself".

If I walk up to a cashier and shove him a pile of bills, he counts them all. What's the difference with coins?

Not advocating this behavior by any means, but I am surely challenging the legal differentiation between who is obligated to count coins vs. bills.

if i pay online I get a dollar off, I might just do that.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.