Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great guide

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the post.

To bad people will look at this and go "there are guides to beta testing? lololol you just jump in and play it."
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    An important note: The better feedback you give, the better chances you have of getting in again next time or the time after.
    Definitely!

Example: A quest is bugged.

What you shouldn't report: Hey...XXXX quest is bugged. THIS SUCKS I CAN'T DO ANYTHING

What you SHOULD say: Hello, XXX quest seems to be bugged. If I try to do XXX it does not work. Or If I go to XXX area, I do not phase correctly. (etc)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofymoonkin View Post
    Definitely!

Example: A quest is bugged.

What you shouldn't report: Hey...XXXX quest is bugged. THIS SUCKS I CAN'T DO ANYTHING

What you SHOULD say: Hello, XXX quest seems to be bugged. If I try to do XXX it does not work. Or If I go to XXX area, I do not phase correctly. (etc)
    It's also important to provide as many specific problems as possible and any work arounds you may have come across.

It is just unfortunate that those who need to read this will not be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    It is just unfortunate that those who need to read this will not be.
    100% true. The guide is amazing. Unfortunately, most people looking at this will probably have the correct etiquette already . We also know that unfortunately, the beta is going to be filled with people who thinks its just the game for free or a 'demo.' That drives me nuts :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Good guide. Can we sticky this please? An expansion is only as good as its beta testers, this info will be nice to have.
    I agree, a sticky it should be!

Great post , stick it !

I just wanted to publicly thank the people who have PM'd me asking permission to translate this guide and those that have put it on other forums. It says a lot about everyone in this thread that 99% of you want a better game so much that you are willing to take the time to actually be a tester rather than just have fun experiencing the new content. Be proud that you feel passionate enough and mature enough to better our community!!!

I really am impressed that so many people know the role a good tester should play. I honestly can't wait to debate with you guys about anything and everything we feel passionate about on the Beta forums as well as here.

Keep up the good fight everyone. I'll probably be on the Beta forums as Dyrtnap as its my MMO-C identity. I WILL see you all soon.

-Dyrt

P.S. Hastings since you were the first that I am aware of I wanted to thank you by name as well as Sleeper who was willing to translate it into German and I wanted to say thanks to everyone else who did/does it also.

P.S.S Remember the most useful macro ATM for Beta are

/cast !Extreme Patience
    /cast !Prayer of Getting Into 2nd Wave

Deleted
    If someone wants to read the translation into german that Dyrtnap mentioned, it is already finished and can be found in the german section of the Mists of Pandaria-Forums, or simply follow this handy link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/forum/topic/3553595330

Deleted
    Definitely worth a sticky. Very informative read, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

This is a wonderful guide.

This is my first 'meaningful' beta and I intend to do everything it takes to make the game as enjoyable as possible. (for me and the rest of the people that will be playing the game in the future.)

I will show this guide to my guildies that will also be participating in the Beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw stickying this.

Can we put it on the front bloody page?

Sticky this pl0x.

Nice guide, OP.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    A good strategy to find bugs is to try to break the game. Do things that are unexpected; if you think it's unexpected the software developers may not have considered it. The point of testing isn't to make sure the software works, it's to find the things that (inevitably) don't work and fix them before the product is released.
    Solaron of <Old Guard>, Tichondrius US

But as far as I know, EU players don't even have a forum to report at...?

Wow, great guide! As an AP holder who has never beta tested anything before but will (hopefully soon) be in beta testing this definitely helped and I hope I can be one of the good ones when I finally get my invite! Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Humpwing cares not for your feeble masonry.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSTMASTER View Post
    This is a wonderful guide.

This is my first 'meaningful' beta and I intend to do everything it takes to make the game as enjoyable as possible. (for me and the rest of the people that will be playing the game in the future.)

I will show this guide to my guildies that will also be participating in the Beta.
    I'm glad to hear it and thx for the referrals

Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    But as far as I know, EU players don't even have a forum to report at...?
    Hmm I just went over and didn't even see the Beta Forums on the main EU forum page. I know from past beta's that quite a few EU people were posting on the same Beta Forums as the US folks so its possible that they are just consolidating EU and US forums. I could be totally off base but I don't remember a dedicated EU Beta Forums in Cata Beta

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
    A good strategy to find bugs is to try to break the game. Do things that are unexpected; if you think it's unexpected the software developers may not have considered it. The point of testing isn't to make sure the software works, it's to find the things that (inevitably) don't work and fix them before the product is released.
    I'll go ahead and add this to the front page I totally forgot to tell people to attempt to break the game WITHOUT FURTHER EXPLOITING THE BUGS though. That can be frowned upon.
    Last edited by Dyrtnap; 2012-03-23 at 05:34 AM.

Patience is a virtue especially when you do get on the BETA. I remember during the Cata Beta you would sometimes randomly crash from flying in azeroth, I remember people raging hard over it in general chat. There is going to be crashes, bugs, unstable servers, downtime, I remember several weeks of Goblins not being available because they would crash other players.

Great guide, the only thing that was missing from the bug reporting section, involves dealing with bugs that make your class stupidly overpowered...

After following all the steps that were listed in the guide.... Go back in game and blow up everything you can possibly destroy before servers get restarted with a fix. PvP "could" be fun in such instances, but killing everything in a raid by yourself will get you gear that will be the envy of many. When bugs are in your favor.. go big.