Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Pandaren Monk Silhouette of Seraphim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Y'ha-nthlei
    Posts
    1,945
    -When I joined my gym, they offered a 1 hour "consultation" with a trainer, so I took them up on it, figured I'd at least get a little bit of info to get me started. Basically the entire time was spent trying to peddle their plans, (anywhere from $160-$480 a month, fuck that) and spent the rest of the time implying that I'd never get anything done if I didn't.

    -All the fucking people there when I get out of work. I picked a place close to my work so I wouldn't have to make a special trip back out again later. Unfortunately this seems to be the time every hypo for 3 towns around piles in to walk at 2 miles an hour, before getting in their cars and driving the 100 yards to the Dunkin Donuts and/or pizza shop that also occupy the parking lot. Normally I can't even see the gym from where I'd have to park, which tells me that I'm not even going to be able to get in the door. FML there.

    -Walking into the locker room and seeing a guy wearing nothing but a banana hammock, flexing in the sink mirror while his "friend" watches. Got greeted with that lovely scene the other day.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

  2. #142
    lol these comments makes me want to go to the gym, i cant cause i dont have a car so i do it at home

  3. #143
    Pandaren Monk Silhouette of Seraphim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Y'ha-nthlei
    Posts
    1,945
    It's funny, before today, aside from the aforementioned, I hadn't seen much of the other things people have at my gym. Tonight when I went (just got home from) there was a group of 3 loungers, just sitting on the ab equipment for over half an hour, not a one of them doing a god damn thing.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Most people at the gym (guys anyways) all have horrible form in pretty much everything they do. Why is it guys try to lift way more than they can do? To show off? I mean I'm all for trying to better yourself, but within your limit. Even if you only do one, as long as you go to failure and do the correct form that's great. I see people on bench load on the weight and go down an inch. I mean seriously what the hell is that? People that do dumbbell curls are arching their backs so much you swear they're going to break it. Squats? Same deal. People load on the weight and go down an inch. And what's funny is they usually have someone there with them and the guy is screaming at them and urging them on. Afterward they jump up and scream and swear and think they're the fucking shit. It's pretty fucking funny when you see people struggling and screaming out at the top of their lungs and only going down an inch. LOL.
    I don't know which gym you go to, but my university gym really does not have these problems at all. Without trying to generalize, try to find a gym with better educated people. I have to agree with you though, people who do a lot of weight with terrible form usually attract the negative part of my attention as well. When they are screaming/showing off I usually just get down-right pissed. However, they barely ever do, and I've politely corrected a lot of other people in my gym (starting with "Can I give feedback on your form/Are you aware of your form"). Yes, I know giving advice without being asked is something MMO-C people here also get annoyed by, but when I see someone potentially ruining their knees for life with a horrible squatting form, my arrogance/good nature gets the better of me.
    Last edited by Anonimus; 2012-03-27 at 12:02 AM.

  5. #145
    Those people that after finishing a weight lifting session put 1 or 2 more weight discs before leaving... Saw people doing that more than once.

  6. #146
    Field Marshal blabber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    63
    ...Kind of a late reply here, I'm never on much, but I do train to compete in USA powerlifting. Every rep I do has to be one I'd do at a meet.
    Squat is when the crease of your hip breaks parallel, Bench is pausing the bar on your chest 'till motionless, feet planted, ass planted, and pressing with an even extension.
    a Deadlift isn't a deadlift you hitch and shelf it.

  7. #147
    People who work out in groups (i.e. more than 2) really get on my nerve. Was way too common at my old gym. Would get a group of 4 or so guys (most of them total douchebags) who would hog one machine (while sitting on others) and would literally occupy it for 20+ minutes. 4 guys, 3+ reps each, way too long rests... and they'd be in the gym for hours.

    But in the end, everything considered, it was cheaper and easier to get my own gear and convert my garage. I may not have cables or racks of preset weights, but it eventually paid for itself (saving gym fees) and I no longer have to deal with all the crap associated with going to a gym.

  8. #148
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,211
    Wow...dat thread kick. :O

    But kind of a relevant topic though.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 05:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Most people at the gym (guys anyways) all have horrible form in pretty much everything they do. Why is it guys try to lift way more than they can do? To show off? I mean I'm all for trying to better yourself, but within your limit. Even if you only do one, as long as you go to failure and do the correct form that's great. I see people on bench load on the weight and go down an inch. I mean seriously what the hell is that? People that do dumbbell curls are arching their backs so much you swear they're going to break it. Squats? Same deal. People load on the weight and go down an inch. And what's funny is they usually have someone there with them and the guy is screaming at them and urging them on. Afterward they jump up and scream and swear and think they're the fucking shit. It's pretty fucking funny when you see people struggling and screaming out at the top of their lungs and only going down an inch. LOL.
    I laughed.

    Hard.
    xD

  9. #149
    1) people who concern themselves with what other people are doing
    2) officious people
    3) people who ask me for advice in the middle of my workout when I have headphones in. If I don't have headphones, that's an invitation to speak.
    4) people who ask for spots for every set
    5) people who fail to put weights away or put weights away in the wrong place
    6) people who give bad advice to others... especially trainers.

    I use to get pissed off at people who drop weights but there are some exercises where that's fairly unavoidable (deadlifts) or even necessary (ball smashing).

    I use to get pissed off at poor form then I grew up and realized it was none of my business. Lack of lifting knowledge is not a fault and does not speak to someone's poor personality. By that standard, I would get pissed off at people who do nothing but lift heavy. Cardio is important too guys!

    I use to get pissed off at people who lifted too much weight or girls who lift too little weight but then I matured and realized it was none of my business. Same as above.

    The only thing that still perturbs me, which isn't any of my business, are guys who wear sleeveless shirts or wife beaters, get fake tans, and shave their body hair. Those people aren't there to get healthier. They are there to show off and look good. I use to do it until I realized how douchee it was so there is a bit of self hate going here. Also, no, you do not need to look in a mirror to make sure you are using proper form. That is just an excuse for narcissism.

    I don't mind old guys who talk to each other while on machines. I join in every now and then if the topic is interesting or in the alternative ask if I can use the machine. Old people actually talk about things of interest (obamacare, tort reform, etc) and not meaningless drivel (girls, booze, drugs). In any event, they always let me but if they were not to I could just do something else.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 01:00 PM.

  10. #150
    Pit Lord SourceOfInfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an expensive beach front condo I don't deserve.
    Posts
    2,318
    This thread is why I converted one of my basement rooms into a personal gym.
    I've seen what's over the mountain, and you don't have anything to be dancing about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemsu Hov View Post
    Well fuck if you all want some sources here's some websites. I haven't read them so fuck you if you blame me for bad info.

  11. #151
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Also, no, you do not need to look in a mirror to make sure you are using proper form. That is just an excuse for narcissism.
    How the fuck do you check form if you can't see yourself doing the lift from different angles?

    I also don't see how you don't mind the old guys that hog machines for ages, they are just as annoying as the young kids that sit on them inactively doing nothing. Only difference is that you can tell the young kids that you need to use the machine and they will move without hassle, where as the old guys might be using the machine once every 5 minutes and maybe even tell you to mind your own business.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    How the fuck do you check form if you can't see yourself doing the lift from different angles?

    I also don't see how you don't mind the old guys that hog machines for ages, they are just as annoying as the young kids that sit on them inactively doing nothing. Only difference is that you can tell the young kids that you need to use the machine and they will move without hassle, where as the old guys might be using the machine once every 5 minutes and maybe even tell you to mind your own business.
    1) If you have been lifting for long enough, you can "feel" the right form. Looking in the mirror has NEVER helped me learn proper form. All it did was distract me from feeling the lift. If you know proper form, you can tell when you aren't aligned. If you don't, looking in the mirror is pointless. And if you really need to look in the mirror, you do not need sleeveless shirts to see proper form. All the power lifters I know come in in pants and sweatshirts to keep their muscles warm and their legs protected from the bar. NONE of them look in the mirror. They have a lot better form than any of the moronic bodybuilders I've seen.

    2) Adults tend to talk about interesting things and I don't mind switching up my routine if a machine is being used, there is no machine that cannot be substituted by a free weight exercise and there is never a time where free weights are not accessible. If I do a set of heavy dead lifts, I have to wait around 3-5 mins to do another set. I enjoy talking to the old guys about their lives or whatever else. Young people are obsessed with women, looking swoll, and broscience. Young people, in general, are completely a waste of space. It should be no surprise that all my friends are 10-15 years older than me and I've never dated a girl less than 5 years older than me.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 06:13 PM.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    How the fuck do you check form if you can't see yourself doing the lift from different angles?

    I also don't see how you don't mind the old guys that hog machines for ages, they are just as annoying as the young kids that sit on them inactively doing nothing. Only difference is that you can tell the young kids that you need to use the machine and they will move without hassle, where as the old guys might be using the machine once every 5 minutes and maybe even tell you to mind your own business.
    He didn't say they were hogging the machine for ages, he said they were talking - your mind process automatically assumed that meant they were busting ass at 2.5mph chatting for half an hour which isn't necessarily the case!

    For my own list, there's a couple of ladies in the gym who will use the treadmill for 45 minutes chatting at slow walking speed which annoys me, especially if they can see maybe 1-2 of the treadmills are down. There's also the ones who "claim" a machine then go off for 10 minutes - if you're not going to use the machine, don't put your towel/drink/shit down on it and certainly not for any longer than a minute or two, 10 minutes is obscene! The people who go to the gym & spend an hour there, but spend less than half that time actually doing anything, you know who I mean, the guys who'll chat to people, say hello to everyone in the gym before going on a bike for 10 minutes - yeah those people!

    The ones who really hack me off though are the ones who look at you like "what the fuck are you doing here" because you're not running at 10mph for 30 minutes or lifting massive amounts of weights or similar stuff - I get the idea, I'm overweight, I'm knackered after a light jog for 20 minutes, doesn't mean I should not be in the gym does it? They're also usually the ones who will do what I've come to call "notice me" stuff, you know when the hot girl walks into the gym, we all know it we kinda hold in the gut, stand a little taller and shit - well, these guys suddenly whack the treadmill up to sprint level or increase the weight on the resistance machines to try to impress them. Problem is they have worked out the muscles to the point where yeah they've got all the right bumps in the right places, but they're so braindead that they don't realise the hot girl is not looking at them, not even interested and the more she's blissfully unaware the faster/heavier they'll go until she walks away 20 minutes later and they collapse.

    I try not to be judgemental because of the fact I'm not the "gym rat" kind of guy, I don't lift weights much (and what I do lift would mostly be seen as "pathetic") but I'm happy enough pottering along doing basic cardio to help me lose weight & gain fitness - the guys who judge you as not being serious because you're not cut like a bodybuilder just put me off. Fortunately where I go (it's a local authority leisure centre as opposed to a "gym") there's not too many of them, just some "older" people who understand that some of us are there to get some weight off and because well, I enjoy it, stick some tunes on & jog for a bit, ride the bike a bit and just work off some negative energy. Most of them are alright despite their advancing years and think it's funny when you get the posers in there trying to be Mr Universe, but you get the occasional douche and the occasional hot woman (who even the older guys admit make their legs feel a bit lighter) - just the kind of place where I feel at home being a little less cut and a little more "cut me a slice of cake would ya?".
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

  14. #154
    No one really annoys me in the gym. I go there to workout, I'm not paying attention to anything else.

  15. #155
    So many types that annoy me.

    1. The lazy bastard who doesnt put his weights away. You can literally see his swath of laziness across the gym with all the leftover equipment.

    2. The old dudes in the locker room that just have to talk to each other completely...fucking....naked. Hey, I am naked and you are too...lets chat for a while.

    3. People that use the cardio machines at like 0.5% speed for HOURS. Hey queen (not trying to be sexist, but it usually is a female) of the cardio maybe if you turned up the speed or grade just above crawling speed you wouldnt have to spend half your day on it.

    4. The "I am going to change my life" folks that swarm the gym for the first 3 weeks in January. If you are actually going to stay then props to you on the change, but I will not see at least 80% of these people return.

    5. The "I am going to get in shape 2 weeks prior to spring break" people. These people are usually worse than the New Years folks because they generally consist of douchebag frat boys that only do bench while bragging to each other how many chicks they are going to bang.

    6. The guy who puts on way too much weight and then proceeds to do the exercise completely wrong. Just fyi, your back is supposed to stay on the bench when you are lifting, not curved up like you are trying to pull off a yoga move simultaneously.

    So many more, but I think I will stop there for now.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    So many types that annoy me.

    1. The lazy bastard who doesnt put his weights away. You can literally see his swath of laziness across the gym with all the leftover equipment.

    2. The old dudes in the locker room that just have to talk to each other completely...fucking....naked. Hey, I am naked and you are too...lets chat for a while.

    3. People that use the cardio machines at like 0.5% speed for HOURS. Hey queen (not trying to be sexist, but it usually is a female) of the cardio maybe if you turned up the speed or grade just above crawling speed you wouldnt have to spend half your day on it.

    4. The "I am going to change my life" folks that swarm the gym for the first 3 weeks in January. If you are actually going to stay then props to you on the change, but I will not see at least 80% of these people return.

    5. The "I am going to get in shape 2 weeks prior to spring break" people. These people are usually worse than the New Years folks because they generally consist of douchebag frat boys that only do bench while bragging to each other how many chicks they are going to bang.

    6. The guy who puts on way too much weight and then proceeds to do the exercise completely wrong. Just fyi, your back is supposed to stay on the bench when you are lifting, not curved up like you are trying to pull off a yoga move simultaneously.

    So many more, but I think I will stop there for now.
    2) I like those dudes! They got confidence.
    6) that sounds like a power bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCBiPS5MNQ. It's proper form so long as you keep your butt and upper back on the bench.

  17. #157
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lordaeron.
    Posts
    222
    I hate it when I'm on the bikes directly behind treadmills, and I'm cycling away trying to focus and keep going but then a seriously hot girl gets on the tread mill in front of me and starts jogging and all I can focus on is her huge round ass jiggling about like its saying "come get me hot piece of manliness!!!"...

    OWAIT I don't hate it I freakin love it!

    Seriously though I hate when I'm in the lockers and I hear ripped guys talking about seeing fat people in the gym and laughing, in my opinion I wanna high five anybody going to the gym to lose weight, no matter how fat, when I'm there I can tell they are trying, I myself am losing weight and have lost 35lbs!

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    2) I like those dudes! They got confidence.
    6) that sounds like a power bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCBiPS5MNQ. It's proper form so long as you keep your butt and upper back on the bench.
    Freely swinging old man balls doesnt inspire much confidence.

    And, I am familiar with that technique however you will notice in the video that he maintains that position the entire time. I was referring to the individuals who snap their back up and down when they go to bench.

  19. #159
    Screw the gym. Full of germs and stench and idiots. I bought my own rack, bench and freeweights and haven't looked back since.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by korbs View Post
    What I hate the most: People who do not use the squat rack for its intended use!
    I've only encountered this problem once (and it was aggravating!), while I was about to do squats lol. But for the most part, no one really annoys me at the gym because I'm there to work out and not watch other people. I'll correct a friend of mine every once in a while if I spot him sporting bad form, or chat with someone I don't see often for a few minutes, but that's about the extent of my human interaction at the gym.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •