10+ Year Old Account

Heavy Savage Armor Kit

Anyone have any thoughts on why Heavy Savage Armor Kits aren't taken more seriously for glove and boot enchants? I'm talking about tanking, of course. It would seem that if you're gearing for CTC cap and then stacking stamina that the armor kits would be much better suited when you have no difficulty capping CTC.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56517

44 stamina compared to 50 mastery on boots

and

44 stamina compared to 65 mastery on gloves

I ask because I found it very strange that www.askmrrobot.com doesn't even have the armor kit as a possible enchant, and it basically ignores it if you already have it on your toon.
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!
    PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES

I'd guess its because avoidance is usually considered more valuable at higher gear levels since you've already got so much health. And really H Madness is the only fight where more health is the game plan.

Another point for you is why aren't more tanks LWers or using the WotLK bracer enchant?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BerdineP View Post
    Another point for you is why aren't more tanks LWers or using the WotLK bracer enchant?
    I just started using the 40 stam to bracers enchant a couple of weeks ago. At least askmrrobot.com recognizes it as a possibility. It doesn't recognize the armor kit.

Increasing your avoidance ratings begins to help very little at the higher gear levels. Something like beyond 19% dodge/parry the gain from ratings become very low.
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!
    PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES

Its very low returns, but when is 130 stam really going to save you, versus that tiny bit of extra avoidance? My main isnt a tank, but I am a healer, and I always like it when my tanks avoid more damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BerdineP View Post
    Its very low returns, but when is 130 stam really going to save you, versus that tiny bit of extra avoidance? My main isnt a tank, but I am a healer, and I always like it when my tanks avoid more damage.
    1. that would be the case if the majority of the dangerous damage in Dragon Soul was something avoidable like a melee attack. and avoidance/blocking obviously doesn't help at all against non-melee damage

2. they're more likely to avoid death with a larger health pool, and they kill the boss quicker with more hp by having increased AP from Vengeance.
    Last edited by Higg; 2012-03-22 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!
    PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES

It's the trade off really... You can give up 50 mastery for 44 stamina or you can give up a 40 mastery gem for 60 stamina gem. No brainer there.

So there is no reason to even think about the lw kit unless you have no more mastery gems.

As for the bracer, I thnk it's generally accepted that lw and bs are the two best tank trades with some liking engineering.

Block isn't avoidance but yeah.

The reason people don't really see those as viable is just because of the stat trade off.

When you are trading a Puissant gem for a Solid, it's at a 1.5 ratio of Stamina:Mastery.

When going from Mastery boot enchant to a Stamina enchant it's a .88, almost half. Even worse for the glove enchant at .67.

Theck's post is good at explaining and providing more info if you want to check it out.

Deleted
    they are ignored due to other better "stat" to stamina conversions that you would do first and i don't think even a fully heroic geared tank would be using the kits over the mastery as mastery is that good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by learntotank View Post
    Block isn't avoidance but yeah.

The reason people don't really see those as viable is just because of the stat trade off.

When you are trading a Puissant gem for a Solid, it's at a 1.5 ratio of Stamina:Mastery.

When going from Mastery boot enchant to a Stamina enchant it's a .88, almost half. Even worse for the glove enchant at .67.

Theck's post is good at explaining and providing more info if you want to check it out.
    Pretty much. If you compare the stats to gem ratios, it's pretty clear why mastery wins.