An Armory link as well as a link to items that you would be replacing with tier would be nice.

i'm new so i can't post links thats why i included the character and server.
    i have the option of legs, shoulders and chest

Quote Originally Posted by Kazane View Post
    quick question, i'm rocking normal 489 gear but i have the option to get my 4pc the only downside is its all raid finder tier. is it worth changing my gear pieces out for it?
    Kazane -Us Bloodscalp
    First time poster but I've read through almost all the debates and discussions. Seems to me that at least generally speaking, people are DEFINITELY in favor of swapping a couple pieces for the set bonus. Especially if you get the 4-pc because it also buffs your Ox Statue Guard for the raid as well as your own. Again this is the general idea I got from reading through many, many posts.

brewmaster is the new raid carebear with the 4 piece set
    13/13

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Kazane View Post
    i'm new so i can't post links thats why i included the character and server.
    i have the option of legs, shoulders and chest
    Chest and Legs are minimal downgrades, but downgrades nonetheless... that's a tough call, especially when the socket bonuses are so much nicer on the non-tier setup. I'd say that the four set's worth it, but if you're worried about the passive stats, then wait till you can get a normal version of one of those pieces. The shoulder tier is not something to consider until you can get the pants off of Heroic Elite Protectors in Terrace of the Endless Springs, and even then it's a bit iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Chest and Legs are minimal downgrades, but downgrades nonetheless... that's a tough call, especially when the socket bonuses are so much nicer on the non-tier setup. I'd say that the four set's worth it, but if you're worried about the passive stats, then wait till you can get a normal version of one of those pieces. The shoulder tier is not something to consider until you can get the pants off of Heroic Elite Protectors in Terrace of the Endless Springs, and even then it's a bit iffy.
    I want them just so I can transmog my Shadow Heart Spaulders (in which case I'll probably just grab the WW ones for my dps set) just got my 4-pc BrM tonight! WOOT!
    Last edited by thedr8993; 2012-12-19 at 11:14 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a very humbling experience last night. I would just like to pass this along to all the new Brewmasters visiting this website.

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. The monk class is extremely different from any that I've played in WoW. Not just the mechanics. I'm speaking about the extreme versatility of how you gear your character.

What works for many, might not work for you. I urge you to keeping testing until you find something you're comfortable with. Don't just dismiss a playstyle because other's have said it's not optimal. Don't regurgitate the information you have read. Test it yourself.
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragethorn View Post
    I had a very humbling experience last night. I would just like to pass this along to all the new Brewmasters visiting this website.

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. The monk class is extremely different from any that I've played in WoW. Not just the mechanics. I'm speaking about the extreme versatility of how you gear your character.

What works for many, might not work for you. I urge you to keeping testing until you find something you're comfortable with. Don't just dismiss a playstyle because other's have said it's not optimal. Don't regurgitate the information you have read. Test it yourself.
    Enlighten us on the experience perhaps? Would be curious to see because you are Expertise capped and still forging into haste while you have hardly any crit.
    Last edited by gynshon; 2012-12-19 at 05:43 PM.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always felt a little squishy as a tank, but last night it all came to a head. I was getting wrecked even in normal MV. I'm sure my game was off because it had never been that bad before. Finished MV and moved into HoF where we had saved our lockout from the week before so we could work on Empress.

After several pulls of being absolutely destroyed, I switched gears and went in the opposite direction of what I thought was optimal gameplay for myself.

I went back to using Power Strikes, I gem'ed/reforged to hard cap expertise, then went full blown haste.
    (Prior to that, I was using Ascension, 7.5/7.5 caps, Hybrid Agi/Crit gems, haste to 5376 cap, then the rest in crit.)

The difference for me, was like night and day. I actually felt like a tank at that point. I wasn't getting completely wrecked. It just felt a lot better.

I haven't gotten to test it out completely yet, but that was the point of my post. Test everything for yourself.
    Last edited by Ragethorn; 2012-12-19 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The build you switched back to is basically a much more Chi heavy build. When Ascension came out a lot of people switched to it but doesn't mean it was the right decision. This is very dependent on your current gear + content running/attempted.

Looks at my logs from last night and I only hit Heavy Stagger 2 times between clearing 4/4 Terrace + 3/6 H MSV, so I can get away with less Chi. Sitting at 14.70 energy w/ Ascension. With the heavier hitting bosses I can see needing more but I still have a lot of Chi directed into Chi Wave I can pull back as well.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I definitely felt chi starved all the time. I never could build up a surplus of shuffle so that I could spend chi on other things.

We'll see how this build works Thursday during a full night of raiding.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zb...=16904&e=17759

This is our Empress kill last night. No it wasn't clean by any means lol as we had 2 new people in teaching them the encounter.

Shuffle uptime 94%, I purify at roughly 40% of my current health pool, hit Heavy Stagger 5 times, all purified. Click on my sig pic for armory. Check through that entire log. I am never chi starved with Ascension, almost 4800 haste, rest crit. If you feel chi starved, what is your chi wave usage? Guard? Have any logs?

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post

This is our Empress kill last night. No it wasn't clean by any means lol as we had 2 new people in teaching them the encounter.

Shuffle uptime 94%, I purify at roughly 40% of my current health pool, hit Heavy Stagger 5 times, all purified. Click on my sig pic for armory. Check through that entire log. I am never chi starved with Ascension, almost 4800 haste, rest crit. If you feel chi starved, what is your chi wave usage? Guard? Have any logs?
    I have no doubts about the stats you're using. You have obviously had success with it because they fit your playstyle.

For me however, I couldn't make them work...not because they don't work, because it didn't feel right to me.

That's all I'm trying to say here. This is not meant to cause some huge debate about stats vs stats. There's been plenty of math thrown around for that.

Honestly yeah, encouraging people to think about what their stats actually DO is always a good thing. While there are generally correct directions to head in, there's always room for personal preference, and knowing what you personally need and gearing for it is always good.

Inherently understanding your class and making gear choices based on that understanding will make you that much better at tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can always try Ascension w/ 9000+ haste if you can get their since that basically equals the Chi of Power Strikes, assuming it's just less Chi that is the problem and not also capping energy to often.

The reason I say this is because I have been really utilizing the Expel Harm < 35% Life innate ability (always forget name). I know there were times where I did EH for 3 GCD's and this is really helped by really high energy regen so you always have the resources to use it on chain procs. Since the ability procs when you go < 35% life if the EH can put you above this mark and then get taken just below it by the next hit that lands. Make sure to have a WA or something set up and just mash the button until it goes away.

This was great on H Gara since I could have some kind of scary periods of low health if the single healer was trying to keep the voodoo targets from exploding. H Stone Guard has more EH uses than would be possible for the fight length so know I used it there too. Not that you want to get that low but it's gonna happen on progression.

Also since I'm taking about it don't forget you can use EH out of melee (might want to glyph) or even without a target, you'll get the heal+Chi just not do dmg. Good for the Sha add platform where you are running around like an idiot out of melee range a lot and want a heal and Chi for PB or a Chi Wave.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

I may have missed it trying to read through all the pages but is dual wield ahead of 2h now? I mean with the sha touched weapons if both have a sha gem in them doesnt that put the fist weapons ahead of the staff? Or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoons View Post
    I may have missed it trying to read through all the pages but is dual wield ahead of 2h now? I mean with the sha touched weapons if both have a sha gem in them doesnt that put the fist weapons ahead of the staff? Or am I missing something here?
    Sha gem is unique-equipped.
    Barleyclaw - Axis - Dark Iron US

Ah okay. Not sure how I missed that. >-> derp.

So then I guess imy next question is with that out of the way is dual wield vs 2h still down to personal preference?

Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post

out of curiousity why are you going for 4800 haste. is it 14 energy/s?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just what is comfortable for him. 14 eps is 4536 haste rating. (with ascension)