Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Brewmaster Monk Tanking Guide Updated 5.4.7 (Rev 7)

Based on multiple simulations, personal experience and feedback from multiple top ranked Brewmaster Monks, I have finally got down to collaborating an in-depth guide in to the optimal way to tank as a Brewmaster Monk. Please be aware that this section covers single target AND multiple target tanking.

Step 1:

This concludes the Brewmaster tanking guide, please leave feedback below.
    I'm not sure whether to put you on the metaphoric payroll or to shoo you out of my territory, lest you usurp my throne.

((that was pretty funny))

Anyone know exactly how fast the unstable iron stars in phase 4 of heroic Garrosh move? Or what amount of +movement speed you need to keep ahead of them indefinitely? Will a boot enchant plus tiger stance be enough, or do you need extra temporary buffs too?

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursley View Post
    Anyone know exactly how fast the unstable iron stars in phase 4 of heroic Garrosh move? Or what amount of +movement speed you need to keep ahead of them indefinitely? Will a boot enchant plus tiger stance be enough, or do you need extra temporary buffs too?
    I did it with as much movement speed as I could get passive and still had to roll to stay away. We started using a rogue since he can keep his 40%(?) speed buff up the whole time. The stars seem to move at about 130% normal run speed by my figuring as with Momentum they still caught up a little but with Tiger's Lust I moved a little too far away, so somewhere between those.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Thursley View Post
    I believe they move at 120% of player speed. While a boot enchant + Tiger stance moves you up to 121%, it's not enough to move at the same speed because you very frequently have to turn corners which requires moving at 130% or more. I found Momentum to work great, taking the first Iron Star and a pre-placed Angelic Feather, and after that I would roll once to gain Momentum then use the other roll when the Momentum buff is almost over so it refreshes and stacks, and that's enough time to interrupt the first Manifest Rage.

If you have any problems or have to kite for an extended period of time (like getting an extra Iron Star that you're not supposed to have) you can always use a Darkwater Potion to get 70% movement speed for 15 seconds, or use Nitro Boosts. Be careful though, if you go too far from the Iron Star it will lose its fixate and decide to go to someone else.

Hi all!

I am by no means new to BrM Monk. Currently in progression, we are 2/14H 10m with Immerseus and Norushen down.

I am unable to post a link to my armory, but here is my character:
    (Elderall - Velen)

My question regards the 4-piece for heroic progression. We are currently working on Sha and i plan on rolling for the Chest tier. From there, in order to get the 4-piece, i would have to take the normal tier shoulders over my current WF ones. At that point i would have 3 Normal tier pieces and 1 heroic. My other option is to get the gloves off norushen, keep my 2-piece with the Nlegs and Hchest and have equipped WF shoulders and Hgloves. Does the higher ilvl outweigh the benefits of the 4-piece during heroic progression? Thank you for any advise you may have.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tweedleum View Post
    Does the higher ilvl outweigh the benefits of the 4-piece during heroic progression? Thank you for any advise you may have.
    I believe that using the 4pc is a matter of preference and how your play/how much damage you're taking. The more often you purify, the better the 4pc becomes. Since you should be purifying immediately following a big hit the healing shouldn't be overhealing. Since I know the Norushen gloves don't have Mastery then they are not going to provide any benefit to survivability, so the 4pc would provide more survivability than those.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

What would you say is good haste percent. Crit level and mastery going into heroic garosh 25 man.also being the one kiting.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Darkwater potion helps immensely with Iron Star kiting. I found the iron star def moved faster than my own personal stuff could outrun, so Feathers, Tigers Lust, Roll/Momentum help a lot too. I did make the mistake once during progression of getting to far from the thing right as I was hitting Garrosh with it, and it refixated at the last second to our of our immunity Malice soakers hanging out in the back. Results were quite hilarious, so many adds...
    Sinthetik, Blood DK, BM Monk, GM, Exiled From Hell, US Premiere Daytime Progression Guild. 7/7 Mythic HM, 10/10 Mythic BRF. 12/13 Mythic, 13/13 Heroic HFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbears View Post
    What would you say is good haste percent. Crit level and mastery going into heroic garosh 25 man.also being the one kiting.
    25 man heroic Garrosh for Brewmasters is not really about gear. You're going to spend half the fight not even attacking, and you'll have 2 other tanks there for the other phases.

That said, the more you can get the better, such that you can steal the boss to get vengeance and squeeze in some extra DPS. Standard setup works fine for that purpose (4.5k-7k haste depending on your preference, "enough" mastery to survive (I think I used around 10k for our first garrosh kill), then stack the rest into crit up to cap)

Was Hoping for a quick response on what would serve me better?

(LFR-528) Chestguard of Seven Sacred Seals + activate 4 piece
    *** or ***
    (WF-559) Pamela's Muuscat Wrap + no 4 peice

I guess i would also like to know, how good is the 4 piece?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by xToasttx View Post
    I guess i would also like to know, how good is the 4 piece?
    Thanks in advance
    4pc is decent, but its value depends on how much you're purifying. If you're a 10 man raider and/or run a crit build, you get less out of it compared to a 25 man raider with a heavy mastery build.

In your specific situation, I'd keep the 4pc around, and use it for Malkorok if you solo tank, and maybe on Thok or Paragons if you expect to take heavy physical damage (e.g., if you keep Ka'roz alive the whole fight and you're tanking him).

Other than that, I'd use the higher Ilevel piece for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    So just recently got a Normal Thok's Tail Tip to play around with. A warforged one came and went to our ret...since I couldn't take that from her. I've got Warforged TED, Normal Harrom's, and flex of both stam trinkets since I've just passed the only normal ones we've ever seen to our Blood DK. Should I always be running TED and TTT at this point? We're just going to be starting heroics in a week or so and I'm running full crit ~66% raid buffed.

TTT has more defensive value than Harrom's (more mastery) but I want to say Harroms is a bigger increase to dps (and consequently raid guards). I'd play with both, I'm running with TED and Harroms for H Garrosh progression personally since we need the damage to make the checks we've got in place for our strat (no Terrace phase and only one EWC).

I am heavily debating dropping 4 piece and using H WF gloves from Galakras over the tier now for H Garrosh. Looking at my logs I'm barely getting 500k healing out of some of our longer Garrosh attempts since I'm not purifying terribly often at all. Probably won't miss it though and it'll be a nice stat/armor bump (yay crit/master over haste/expertise).
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

10+ Year Old Account
    You think the multistrike and agil proc is more than 8% more crit damage and the strength proc? I thought the point of using TTT was more dps once you got fairly high crit levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    You think the multistrike and agil proc is more than 8% more crit damage and the strength proc? I thought the point of using TTT was more dps once you got fairly high crit levels.
    Multistrike is 5% more DPS.

8% more crit damage with 60% crit results in 164.8% of base damage. Without the 8% crit damage it's 160% base damage. 164.8/160 = 1.03, or a 3% increase.

5% > 3%, Agi proc >>>>> Str proc, therefore Haromm's > TTT.

10+ Year Old Account
    That makes sense. I hadn't actually mathed it out since I didn't expect to get this trinket. I might go back to capping my crit at 50% unbuffed and then dumping mastery since we recently lost a heals and are 2-healing everything at this point and one of the heals was complaining about spikiness on Malk the other day. So then Harroms and TED for dps and TED and TTT for EH? Unless I need the Rook's Talisman for some mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    That makes sense. I hadn't actually mathed it out since I didn't expect to get this trinket. I might go back to capping my crit at 50% unbuffed and then dumping mastery since we recently lost a heals and are 2-healing everything at this point and one of the heals was complaining about spikiness on Malk the other day. So then Harroms and TED for dps and TED and TTT for EH? Unless I need the Rook's Talisman for some mechanic.
    Stick with crit, your healers are going to want the practice of healing spikes when you head in to heroics. Check your rotation though, you shouldn't be spiking too hard on Malk normal.

Deleted
    Is it a bad thing to go with DW while being over the crit cap? I got 574 Immerseus staff and 566 Protectorst fist weapon and 566 Juggernaut mace. I prefer the looks of DW and smoother EB generation while it's not a big thing on these crit levels. I have ~60 % crit unbuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonzy View Post
    Is it a bad thing to go with DW while being over the crit cap? I got 574 Immerseus staff and 566 Protectorst fist weapon and 566 Juggernaut mace. I prefer the looks of DW and smoother EB generation while it's not a big thing on these crit levels. I have ~60 % crit unbuffed.
    It's irrelevant because once you have that much crit you have all the EB you could ever possibly need on a 2 tanked fight. Crit at that point is just for damage, not for tankiness.

Deleted
    So I can pretty safely go DW? Survival isn't really a problem so I would still keep stacking crit for more dps. Would the double dancing steel increase my dps aswell?