1. #3701
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    As I said way earlier in this thread, LOK's entire concept of bending vs technology strikes as pure stupid, they desperately tried to make it seem as though non-benders could keep up with benders just by learning chi-blocking and equipping a bit of technology. Except that ALL those things are available to benders too, if anything benders should have a pretty significant advantage when it comes to chi-blocking because bending is already grounded in martial arts and commands a certain degree they discipline/fitness. There was nothing stopping benders from equipping electric gloves or steampunk guns either, nobody took a clue from Asami apparently.

    I maintain that Amon's primary strength wasn't his blood bending, or even his ability to take bending away - it was his ability to DODGE EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ATTACK EVER. Seriously, that's all there is to him. No bender could land a single projectile attack on him through the entire season until the very end, his entire strategy is dodge > dodge > evade > evade > dodge > chi-block > win.
    Wasn't it implied he sorta used his bending subtly to dodge attacks?

  2. #3702
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Wasn't it implied he sorta used his bending subtly to dodge attacks?
    o_O

    At this point I dunno what else was implied/assumed during LoK : /

  3. #3703
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    o_O

    At this point I dunno what else was implied/assumed during LoK : /
    I remember a line when Tarrlok does the big reveal where Korra said something like "that's how he kept dodging my attacks" or something.

    EDIT:

    Mako: We can't. Any attack we throw at him, he'll redirect with his mind. That's how he's been able to challenge any bender.
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2013-08-24 at 01:16 AM.

  4. #3704
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    As I said way earlier in this thread, LOK's entire concept of bending vs technology strikes as pure stupid, they desperately tried to make it seem as though non-benders could keep up with benders just by learning chi-blocking and equipping a bit of technology. Except that ALL those things are available to benders too, if anything benders should have a pretty significant advantage when it comes to chi-blocking because bending is already grounded in martial arts and commands a certain degree they discipline/fitness. There was nothing stopping benders from equipping electric gloves or steampunk guns either, nobody took a clue from Asami apparently.
    while i do find it a bit rediculus that no bender tried to use the equalist wepons (unless you count iroh since he took the airplanes and all that) you have to remember that chi-blockers have always had an advantage over benders. just look at tai-lee. she could easily take down just about anyone with her chi-blocking.

    i think it might have something to do with a bit of clashing martial styles. benders, even pro-benders, aren't really ones for close quarters combat and tend to be a bit direct with their moves. chi-blockers are the exact opposite, they take advantage of the weaknesses of this style by being nimble and weaving all over the place before getting into very close proximity and then attacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  5. #3705
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,304
    Uhhhh Amon was only able to dodge -everything- because he secretly used psychic bloodbending to alter his opponents movements slightly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    As I said way earlier in this thread, LOK's entire concept of bending vs technology strikes as pure stupid, they desperately tried to make it seem as though non-benders could keep up with benders just by learning chi-blocking and equipping a bit of technology. Except that ALL those things are available to benders too, if anything benders should have a pretty significant advantage when it comes to chi-blocking because bending is already grounded in martial arts and commands a certain degree they discipline/fitness. There was nothing stopping benders from equipping electric gloves or steampunk guns either, nobody took a clue from Asami apparently.

    I maintain that Amon's primary strength wasn't his blood bending, or even his ability to take bending away - it was his ability to DODGE EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ATTACK EVER. Seriously, that's all there is to him. No bender could land a single projectile attack on him through the entire season until the very end, his entire strategy is dodge > dodge > evade > evade > dodge > chi-block > win.
    I was talking about this lol, didn't realize there was another page.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh and you guys already talked about it. Damnit.

  6. #3706
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,617
    Look if you want to talk about benders who had more than just bending look no further than Zuko and Azula. Both of them were very athletic and Zuko was very good with dual swords.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  7. #3707
    Aang was also good at the dodge/evade trick too. Hell, it's what Korra tries to learn first day at Airbending U. For the most part, a lot of fights in AtLA and LoK are mostly evading with occasional attacking.

    I think it's just poorly done in the show because they make chi-blockers look overpowered. Much like how Tae Li could handle nearly everyone she came across, or Amon himself. I'd assume he figured out he could "take away" bending while learning how to be a chi-blocker in the first place. But since you couldn't have the baddies win TOO much, a lot of the chi-blockers were toned way down later on to let Korra and the gang win.

    I suppose it's just weird since you don't see much else in the universe besides bending, bending, bending. You only ever got a few scenes with Zuko (or Sokka) using his swords and such, but they were few and far between. Now that I think about it, did Zuko use swords more often than Sokka? It feels like it.

    Honestly, I think it'd be nice to show more characters fight who weren't benders. It'd be interesting to see their action scenes. (Come on, who didn't like the Jet v.s. Zuko fight in AtLA?) Whether it be against or alongside benders.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

  8. #3708
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Aang was also good at the dodge/evade trick too. Hell, it's what Korra tries to learn first day at Airbending U. For the most part, a lot of fights in AtLA and LoK are mostly evading with occasional attacking.

    I think it's just poorly done in the show because they make chi-blockers look overpowered. Much like how Tae Li could handle nearly everyone she came across, or Amon himself. I'd assume he figured out he could "take away" bending while learning how to be a chi-blocker in the first place. But since you couldn't have the baddies win TOO much, a lot of the chi-blockers were toned way down later on to let Korra and the gang win.

    I suppose it's just weird since you don't see much else in the universe besides bending, bending, bending. You only ever got a few scenes with Zuko (or Sokka) using his swords and such, but they were few and far between. Now that I think about it, did Zuko use swords more often than Sokka? It feels like it.

    Honestly, I think it'd be nice to show more characters fight who weren't benders. It'd be interesting to see their action scenes. (Come on, who didn't like the Jet v.s. Zuko fight in AtLA?) Whether it be against or alongside benders.
    You know I don't know why but your post made me think... It's really uncertain how one develops bending, like bending was originally just founded by some random people noticing the moon in terms of the Water Tribe. This leads me to believe technically anyone can bend but who knows...
    I'll take the sky any day.

  9. #3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You know I don't know why but your post made me think... It's really uncertain how one develops bending, like bending was originally just founded by some random people noticing the moon in terms of the Water Tribe. This leads me to believe technically anyone can bend but who knows...
    Well, I've mentioned it before. If the stories are true, it proves that humans weren't natural benders. I'd assume that, over the coarse of millions of years, it become where some were just hereditary talented in learning it.

    Since we see the first Avatar in the next Book, there might be some backstory on the whole deal. It'd be cool to see where they go with it.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

  10. #3710
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Well, I've mentioned it before. If the stories are true, it proves that humans weren't natural benders. I'd assume that, over the coarse of millions of years, it become where some were just hereditary talented in learning it.

    Since we see the first Avatar in the next Book, there might be some backstory on the whole deal. It'd be cool to see where they go with it.
    The Avatar didn't come around until after the fact if I remember correctly. As far as I'm aware, based off of current information it's blurry.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  11. #3711
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    The Avatar didn't come around until after the fact if I remember correctly. As far as I'm aware, based off of current information it's blurry.
    Yeah, that's the point. My best guess is that humans learning to bend wasn't part of the "natural order" of the world. Since humans are typically portrayed as chaotic/choose your own fate kind of creatures. Since it seems a lot of spirits seem to have a bit of contempt for humanity in the show. It's not like it's a new thing, at least in the whole Gods/spirits being a worldly fact kind of universe.

    So, to preserve the "balance" the Avatar was created to look after everything and make sure humans didn't louse it up as we generally do. Since I'm sure Korra and the first Avatar will surely mince words, we'll probably learn more on the history of the Avatar and bending.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

  12. #3712
    Seems like they made a game for Korra.

    Haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it's anything good or not.

    Edit: Looks pretty neat to me. A standard miniclip.com game. Also, seems like you can unlock wallpapers which can be bought with energy orbs which you can catch through out the game.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-09-09 at 08:33 PM.

  13. #3713
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,007
    For a second I thought it was a proper pc/console platform release lol. I'm sure there are plenty of flash games floating around linked to the Avatar franchise.

  14. #3714
    Warchief Shootandkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Post-Apocalyptic America
    Posts
    2,143
    4 more days people. GET PUMPED!
    Friend Code: 4570-7432-6960. Add me if you want to play some Pokemon.

  15. #3715
    Stood in the Fire Devboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London Baby!!!
    Posts
    425
    actually only just found out that book 2 will be out in 3 days. Pretty much all the things. Can't wait to watch the new episodes. Anyone know when they will be aired in the UK, or a good site to watch them on?

  16. #3716
    Quote Originally Posted by Devboy View Post
    actually only just found out that book 2 will be out in 3 days. Pretty much all the things. Can't wait to watch the new episodes. Anyone know when they will be aired in the UK, or a good site to watch them on?
    You could probably go to the main nick site. Back during the first book, they seemed pretty quick about uploading the episodes to the LoK page shortly after it aired (as well as previews for upcoming episodes). They might do the same with this one as well, be something to check on.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

  17. #3717
    Herald of the Titans Muzual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    足立さんの家に
    Posts
    2,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    You could probably go to the main nick site. Back during the first book, they seemed pretty quick about uploading the episodes to the LoK page shortly after it aired (as well as previews for upcoming episodes). They might do the same with this one as well, be something to check on.
    They're region locked, I'm not sure it's any different this year though - meaning that UK viewers may have to torrent/dl or stream it from a third party

    なんで自殺するのかな他の人殺せばいいのに

  18. #3718
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,617
    There is always a website that has the Korra episode after it airs, I wouldn't worry.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  19. #3719
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,746
    Oh shit, is it this Friday?
    Yaaay.

  20. #3720
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,617
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Oh shit, is it this Friday?
    Yaaay.
    Just like being a kid all over again.
    I'll take the sky any day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •